Air conditioner not working

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aki

It's getting warm here in the bay area and my A/C is not working. I don't hear the compressor run and the cabin vents just blow outside temperature air when the A/C is on. I can deal with the heat, but I'm concerned for the battery pack. I haven't gotten any high battery temp warnings, but from what I've read the single A/C compressor cools the cells and the cabin. Should I not drive until this is fixed? I've checked the fuse, any other ideas? No extended warranty.

Does the Mode button do what you expect? For example, when the icon shows the arrow at the head of passenger does the air blow from the upper vents? Floor? Defrost? When it is set to Defrost is the air cooler? What happens when you set the temp down to LO? Any different result with Recirc on?

Everything else works correctly but can't get the A/C on no matter the setting.

If that's the case, try a regular mechanic that does A/C service. Have them check the refrigerant for charge and leaks. If that's the problem, there's no need to treat this car different than any other. However, if the refrigerant charge is normal and they don't have any other ideas, then I would have an EV certified Toyota dealer diagnose it for you.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'm gonna take it to a shop tomorrow. I know it's not ideal, but any idea how bad it is for the cells to be driving around in 85F or 90F weather with no working AC?

Good to know, thanks for the info.

So there's no pressure in the AC system, so likely a leak somewhere. Looks like the condenser is the most common leak point. The mechanic I met with is very hesitant to work on an EV and mentioned that even if they find and fix the leak, I may still have to go to a dealer to have them reset the computer to get the compressor to run again. From what I understand, when the AC system loses pressure, the computer tells the compressor to stop running. If can refill the AC, add dye, find the leak and fix it, I would be good to go. Just not sure about the computer reset part. Any info on this?

How much did he quote for the part that he can do? I would call a dealer and tell them the situation and see if they can quote the complete job over the phone. Also, ask if the leak is repaired and refrigerant recharged outside, how much they would charge to reset and test.

Also, I thought you said that you could hear the compressor running even without cold air.

He didn't give me a quote because we don't know for sure that it's the condenser. I was thinking of just fixing it myself, just don't know about the computer reset part. I have a CAN/OBDII code reader that I've used on vehicles in the past, but get a "link error" when I plug it into the RAV.

The compressor does not run. I meant that the vents just blow warm air when the AC is on.

Back