Self Diagnosis

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseInReno

Hi all,

I've had my Rav4 since January and have been loving it.

Yesterday when I got in to go home from work it wouldn't start, just says Check EV System.
I have tried jumping it, so it seems to not be the 12v battery. I tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it as well. I left the 12v battery disconnected overnight to see if it would do anything but that didn't help.

So my question is: Is there any way a can try to diagnose this myself? I haven't yet check with Reno Toyota to see if they'll take a look or not yet, and I'm not looking forward to towing it to Auburn which is the closest dealership that the Toyota website says will service the EV. So I'd really like to be able to find out if there's anything else I can look at and maybe fix myself.

If you want to self diagnose, get a ODB computer interface kit and the Toyota Techstream software. At least then you can get some codes to see the nature of the problem.

If it's the original 12 volt battery, save yourself the frustration. Get a new battery.

Rav4 EV 12 volt Battery recommendations:

https://m.pepboys.com/search/?term=bosch+24f+60ah+agm

I recommend the Bosch or Exide battery with the following specs for around $150-$180:

1) AGM (not flooded acid cells like the original)

2) Group 24F size

3) 60 amp/hour rating

Here are the specific models I recommend:

Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM

There is also a Exide battery that is identical, except for superficial color and markings, but normally more expensive.

Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery

Well just found out today the EV battery went bad.. somehow. So now I just have to wait for its replacement to show up.

JesseInReno said:
Well just found out today the EV battery went bad.. somehow. So now I just have to wait for its replacement to show up.

How many miles and year? Which dealer did you take it to? Can you list the error codes?

It has 53,500 miles and it's a 2013 model. Had a friend tow it to the dealer in Auburn, so I got the diagnosis over the phone, so I didn't get any error codes sadly.

On the up-side I'm getting a new battery pack right? Or will it be a refurb? When I did the Tony-test before it usually came out to about 124 miles so I'm excited to see what the new battery will show.

Just got it back today.

The error code they got was "BMS_f073 HV BATTERY DETECTED UNEXPECTED HV BUS BEHAVIOR"

They also replaced front axle seals as they were pretty leaky.

JesseInReno said:
Just got it back today.
The error code they got was "BMS_f073 HV BATTERY DETECTED UNEXPECTED HV BUS BEHAVIOR"

Could you scan/photo the paperwork you got back with the car ?
Would be very interested what they did to fix it.

fromport said:
JesseInReno said:
Just got it back today.

Could you scan/photo the paperwork you got back with the car ?
Would be very interested what they did to fix it.

Sure

Pg1
Pg2
Pg3

:)

Why did you have to pay for the transaxle seals when the car is below 60,000 miles? IMHO, that should be on the Powertrain Warranty.

Toyota of Kirkland wanted to charge me to replace the transaxle seals on mine as well, at 50k; I declined, as the leak was minor and I knew I'd be swapping the DU out before 60k.

A tablespoon of ATF looks like a mess when smeared all around, but it's still only a tablespoon. The transaxle capacity is well over a quart (1.2 qts.?).

Back