Poor acceleration from stop - speed sensor?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberlyr

Wondering if anyone has seen this issue before...

My 2014 has twice experienced poor acceleration with the attending "Check EV System" error while taking off from a stop sign/light. Both times I had driven the car a short distance and parked for a few minutes (while picking up a friend). On power up, all systems were good to go but the car accelerated VERY slowly....pedal all the way to the floor and crawled up to 6 MPH in about 15 seconds. Top speed of around 35 MPH after 30 seconds. After powering down vehicle and powering up again, the problem disappeared. Battery was just replaced two weeks ago by Toyota for random "non-ready state" on power up.

Toyota dealer has had the car for three days trying to troubleshoot to no avail. They say there are no diagnostics on either the Toyota or Tesla side to explain what happened. From my review of the forums, perhaps it's a bad speed sensor? I've seen some posts on "no acceleration" but can't find anyone with this poor acceleration issue.

Anyone have some ideas? At this point, I'm hesitant to drive the car at all for safety reasons.

Thanks.

I've not heard of this issue before. That is a strange one. Normally if the car detects a serious problem, it will either cut all power or just won't come Ready.

That’s a new issue!

It somewhat reminds me of an issue that we had with a RAV4. It would completely lose power on acceleration, and releasing the go-pedal, and reapplying it fixed the problem.

While it’s a repeatable problem, it doesn’t happen every time.

I’m thinking it’s the pedal control.

Just picked up the car from Toyota El Cajon. Two codes...ECU P312F on the Toyota side and ECU CHGU003 on the Tesla side. Related to the propulsion system as far as I can tell. Tesla told them to charge up the battery and drive for 10 miles. If no recurrence, then its fixed. WTF??

It was already at the correct level of firmware but I at least expected them to replace the Gateway ECU at a minimum. I told them I didn't feel comfortable driving my toddler around in it, but that I would take it back and see how it goes. I also told them if it happens again, I'm going to submit a report to the NHTSA and escalate up through the Toyota chain as far as I could. I understand it's not as bad as losing power steering and all acceleration, but it could still get me in a nasty accident if I can't accelerate fast enough...

Anyone have any other ideas? I'll be white-knuckling it merging onto the freeway or making a left onto a 4-lane road......

So it only took three days for the problem to show up again. And now with more dash warnings...

I drove to work (3 miles) with no problems. Went out at lunch and car started fine but acceleration problem was almost immediate. Powered off for 5 minutes and started again. This time would not go to READY state and "Check EV system" light came on with range of 117 miles....lol. Was at 47 when I started the morning.

After cycling through power on/off three times I got two new warnings I've never seen before... "Low Battery Temp and Charge Level. Driving Not Available Charge Before Driving" and then "Very Low Battery Charge Immediately".

On last power on/off it went to READY state with standard "Check EV system" warning and range to 74. UGH!!!

Had it towed to Toyota of El Cajon and am awaiting word. Anyone in the San Diego area know if Toyota Carlsbad is more responsive?

They have to fix it now, right? New battery pack? So frustrated!!!

kimberlyr said:
Just picked up the car from Toyota El Cajon. Two codes...ECU P312F on the Toyota side and ECU CHGU003 on the Tesla side. Related to the propulsion system as far as I can tell. Tesla told them to charge up the battery and drive for 10 miles. If no recurrence, then its fixed. WTF??

It was already at the correct level of firmware but I at least expected them to replace the Gateway ECU at a minimum. I told them I didn't feel comfortable driving my toddler around in it, but that I would take it back and see how it goes. I also told them if it happens again, I'm going to submit a report to the NHTSA and escalate up through the Toyota chain as far as I could. I understand it's not as bad as losing power steering and all acceleration, but it could still get me in a nasty accident if I can't accelerate fast enough...

Anyone have any other ideas? I'll be white-knuckling it merging onto the freeway or making a left onto a 4-lane road......
Teslas DTC HG_f003 mean to "Charge Internal Problem" and the only means of repair is the replacement of the ELECTRIC_VEHICLE_CHARGER_ASSEMBLY.
  • Notice. Check the condition of the auxiliary battery, as an alert code may be output due to a drop in the auxiliary battery voltage.
I don't understand teslas_tech advice/recommendation to drive 10 miles on a faulty vehicle ...

I had a drive unit replaced at Toyota of El Cajon. They've been mediocre. They originally had two EV techs, but one left as of a year ago. I don't think they have a lot of experience with this car, but they seem willing to try. When they replaced my DU (3 days) I specifically mentioned that the coolant needed to be purged thoroughly to remove air in the lines. When I picked it up, I did a test drive and everything seemed fine. The next day I got the battery temp warning with speed reduction immanent. There was NO coolant in the reservoir when I took it back and I told them so. They took care of it but it took another day - told me the coolant was "a little low." My favorite service writer is Micah as he is helpful as has a good attitude. Others not so much. One guy was explaining that I should turn it in at lease end because the car has a lot of issues and that Toyota stopped making them for a reason. I guess he didn't realize they never intended to make them past 2014.

My car has been at the dealer for a week and still no diagnosis. Apparently the “code” used by Toyota to diagnose information from the computer comes, in part, from Tesla. Access to that code/programming has been disabled for all Toyota dealers by Tesla...some sort of expiration? Now Toyota is in talks/negotiations to get access restored so any EV tech can do their job.

Anyone else hearing this from their dealer? Rental car being supplied since they have no way to estimate when they will be able to diagnose problem.

I knew relations between Toyota and Tesla were eroded, but if Toyota truly cannot service the EVs, where does that leave us?

kimberlyr said:
Now Toyota is in talks/negotiations to get access restored so any EV tech can do their job.
That doesn't sound good.
If Toyota has to provide 10 years of warranty to the customer, this part should have been included in the contract with Tesla for support.
Not Good [TM]

I knew relations between Toyota and Tesla were eroded, but if Toyota truly cannot service the EVs, where does that leave us?

Not in a good place, that is for sure!
I had 2 rav4ev's: loved them both.
But sure am glad I no longer have them.
Sold one to a friend of mine, if I would have known this would be coming up, I would just have returned it at the end of lease.
Good luck!

Car has been at dealer for two weeks now and it looks like Toyota and Tesla have worked out whatever issue was holding up diagnosis. Toyota tech says bad gateway ECU and they are now waiting on Tesla to confirm so they can get the part.

Hopefully they are correct and since this is a known issue, can fix it quickly.

Will post again with final fix. Rental car for now....

kimberlyr said:
Car has been at dealer for two weeks now and it looks like Toyota and Tesla have worked out whatever issue was holding up diagnosis. Toyota tech says bad gateway ECU and they are now waiting on Tesla to confirm so they can get the part.

Hopefully they are correct and since this is a known issue, can fix it quickly.

Will post again with final fix. Rental car for now....

The person I sold one of my rav4ev's to has the same GW problem.
He has been waiting now 9 weeks and drives a loaner (corolla)
They claim it will be ready before end of week

kimberlyr said:

Hopefully they are correct and since this is a known issue, can fix it quickly...
As I knowm. DTC CHG_f003 mean "Charger Internal Problem" and Procedure to this code is "Replace the electric vehicle charger assembly".

Those Toyota Tech gave You paper copies of the diagnostic results (aka Diagnostic Report with Data Stream, Health Check Results, Freeze Frame Data, Monitors Test Results, e.t.c.)?

For example, take a look http://alflash.com.ua/ease/rep_matrix.pdf

kimberlyr said:
They gave me zero diagnostics .....
=> I did the diagnosis of the heart, but doctor hid the cardiogram from me ...
Their diagnostic probably no paid for?
I wonder, who will pay if the replaced of gateway ecu will be vain (useless) ...

p.s. Ýou can request Calibration IDs of yours RAV4EV and Freeze frame data for both DTCs?
E.g
http://alflash.com.ua/phpBB2/download/file.php?id=2602,
file.php
(http://alflash.com.ua/phpBB2/download/file.php?id=2577)

p.s.s.
DTC CHG_u004 mean "Electric vehicle charger cable was disconnected during charging".

Note.
In Toyota 2014 RAV4 EV RM25J0U I di't find even the traces of the DTC CHG_u003 (in "HYBRID CONTROL SYSTEM: DTCs CHART") for 2014 MY RAV4 EV [09/2013 - ] ...

For the Malfunctions of RAV4EV 2013MY EV Gateway Control ECU is use alert codes "GTW_ ..."

Still driving a rental from Toyota of El Cajon while we wait for the back-ordered gateway ECU part to arrive. They have no idea when it will get there....

They said they will give me the diagnostic report when the car is ready for pickup and I will then post it here.

kimberlyr said:
Still driving a rental from Toyota of El Cajon while we wait for the back-ordered gateway ECU part to arrive. They have no idea when it will get there....

They said they will give me the diagnostic report when the car is ready for pickup and I will then post it here.

My friend who bought my old rav4ev finally has it back.
took Toyota/Tesla 2 months.
He put 2500 miles on the camry loaner while waiting.
Good luck

kimberlyr said:
... They said they will give me the diagnostic report when the car is ready for pickup and I will then post it here.
Thanks for info.

The secretiveness of the data on the patient's preoperative state?
For me, this gives rise to suspicions of possible manipulation ...

Would like to hope that the report will not only contain a bill (receipt) on payment for repairs and replaced blocks (component parts) , but all detailed diagnostic data at all stages.
Is known (in advance) the cost (approximate) of repair?
Who will pay if the replacement (e.g. Gateway ECU) turns out to be in vain?

p.s. Let me known the calibration ID of Tesla Electronic Propulsion Gateway Control Module is 1.3.101?
Take a look Safety recall F01"EV Gateway control ECM Software Update" (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2015/RCRIT-15V143-6706.pdf)

Update from dealer: gateway ECU installed this week. However, while test driving a new a Check EV light came on. Back to the drawing board as predicted by forum members.

Still in rental car. My EV is under platinum warranty so no idea who is paying for the repairs....but it’s not me.

kimberlyr said:
Update from dealer: gateway ECU installed this week. However, while test driving a new a Check EV light came on. Back to the drawing board as predicted by forum members.

Still in rental car. My EV is under platinum warranty so no idea who is paying for the repairs....but it’s not me.
Sad position...
As for me, it's their marasmus :x
In other words, this is an illustration of their inability to properly diagnose, and as a consequence, no correct repair...

Back