Pre-Climate or Charging w/ Pre-Climate

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuedeGopher

Hello!

I feel like I'm being pretty daft here - but I don't understand the nuance between scheduling 'Pre-Climate Only' and 'Charging and Pre-Climate' in the RAV's scheduling screen.

My charging rates are the same regardless of the time of day (and I haven't figured out when my power company might be using more efficient technologies) so I have charge immediately at plug-in set up. Will using the Pre-Climate Only setting keep charging the battery while running the climate controls or do I need to use the latter setting? Getting chilly here in WA and figured it'd be nice to get as much range out of the battery as possible with all the heater is running.

Thanks for any clarifications.

I would guess that the car will draw power from the EVSE if you set up a Climate-Only event, even if the car has already charged up. However, the best way is to set it up for a time that you can observe it so you can confirm it for yourself. Then you can tell us for sure what it does. I would also assume that since it is departure based, the climate event will start about 15 minutes before the departure time setting.

One more point - if you're going to do an Extended Charge, it's better to use the departure timer because the battery will spend less time completely full. It minimizes battery degradation if the car spends less time completely full. For Standard Charge, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the response. It appears that it's an either or situation - either you're on a schedule telling the car when to charge, etc. or you're on charge immediately. I switched my type to charge and pre-climate and then set departure times for the weekends without climate adjustments. We'll see what that does...

Back