Max Charge on GOM Down to 64 miles

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I can't tell if it's just winter or the vehicle itself since it's still new to me, but My 2013 Rav4 EV (still under 29,000 miles) keeps stopping the 240V regular charge, saying it is fully charged, at only 64 miles (with no fans/heaters on). It may just be that I still have a ways to go with learning to maximize efficiency but I currently only get 2 miles/kWh. I regularly use it for my 10 minute residential commute to the train station. Is this normal or should I be adding it to the list of things I need to ask Thorn to have someone look at when I call?

Thank you so much. I am grateful to be a part of this forum. It's truly an invaluable resource.

64 miles of range sounds about right for a complete standard charge with an energy usage of 2 mi / kWh.

I typically average about 3 mi / kWh in California winters, when the ambient temperature is often 55 F or above when driving. What are your typical ambient temperatures when driving?

It may be the short trips that are getting you. It's hard to get efficiency up that way. I regularly see a bump when I take the car on a longer trip that takes me down close to empty. On the plus side, even if the old guess-o-meter is only showing 90 when I start the trip, I have no problem getting 100+ miles out of it.

tgreene said:
64 miles of range sounds about right for a complete standard charge with an energy usage of 2 mi / kWh.

I typically average about 3 mi / kWh in California winters, when the ambient temperature is often 55 F or above when driving. What are your typical ambient temperatures when driving?

The outside temperature has been pretty cold, 30s (though it's on the upswing). I will have to work on getting my mi/kWh up. Thank you davewill and tgreene. :)

If it is cold outside (and the battery is cold, too), then every time you start the car, two 6kW heater crank up to heat the battery and the cabin.

If you’re driving a long distance, then once things warm up, the energy consumption for heating goes down. But, repetitive short trips in cold weather, particularly when the battery and cabin are allowed to cool down each time, will really lower your overall range.

I was kind of surprised at the winter vs summer GOM.

Summer w/AC: ~115 mi. GOM
Winter w/heat: ~76 mi. GOM

Same commute. Yeah, the heaters are thirsty.

I only need 58 mi., and I like to be comfortable, so I don't really care, but it was surprising.

Alice in EV-land said:
Hi,

I can't tell if it's just winter or the vehicle itself since it's still new to me, but My 2013 Rav4 EV (still under 29,000 miles) keeps stopping the 240V regular charge, saying it is fully charged, at only 64 miles (with no fans/heaters on). It may just be that I still have a ways to go with learning to maximize efficiency but I currently only get 2 miles/kWh. I regularly use it for my 10 minute residential commute to the train station. Is this normal or should I be adding it to the list of things I need to ask Thorn to have someone look at when I call?

Thank you so much. I am grateful to be a part of this forum. It's truly an invaluable resource.

That's normal. Its been so cold lately in Ithaca, NY, I have been seeing 45ish miles on my GOM after a full charge. Its been pretty accurate too.

Winter hurts range and noses, aside from moving south not much can be done about it.

Back