clunking noise in rear when brakes are applied

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptwohey

YOU CAN SKIP THE WHOLE STORY BY JUMPING TO THE REAL ISSUE BELOW:

I have a 2009 RAV4 SPORT V6 with 84K miles. While under warrantee the differential started to "clunk" so I brought it in and the dealer replaced something (using my aftermarket warrantee and not the factory) and the noise went away. Later that year there was a factory recall on my vehicle for the differential but seeing mine was already serviced the dealer only checked it off. When the RAV was 7 years old the noise started again so I brought it back to BOCH SOUTH in ATTLEBORO because it was still under the extended aftermarket warrantee. The service manager explained that it would cost me $120 to inspect the vehicle for the noise and if it was covered under warrantee it would be repaired!! Originally the extended coverage had $0 inspection fees. I was called to pick up the RAV after 2 hours and told I needed brakes and charged the $120.
I am not a 21st century auto mechanic but do restore 60's series classics and know a lot about brakes but the new anti lock crap is bogus to me so I accepted his findings and took it home doubting they found the problem.

NOW THE ISSUE: I have new brakes all around and the noise is still there. I only hear it when the brakes are applied. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear wheel. While driving, accelerating or cruising there is no nothing. Apply the brakes and I hear a revolving thump. Similar to what I would hear on my 68 Camaro before a U joint would snap. Is it a warped rotor? A stuck caliper? A bad HV Joint? Emergency brake problem? The differential again? Anyone have this issue?
Thanks.

I dont see how people join a forum called My Rav4 EV with a subject line of "An online forum for the Rav4 EV" asking about ICE problems. haha

Back