Onboard charger failure

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syrinx

So this morning the onboard charger decided to stop working. It starts charging, then clicks off and on 4 times before giving up. There are no Check EV messages, and the vehicle starts normally. I have two different EVSE's, and both give the same result. Anybody have any experience with this?

Syrinx said:
So this morning the onboard charger decided to stop working. It starts charging, then clicks off and on 4 times before giving up. There are no Check EV messages, and the vehicle starts normally. I have two different EVSE's, and both give the same result. Anybody have any experience with this?
Sadly, I've heard several reports just like this in the past 6 months.

Syrinx said:
Anybody have any experience with this?

Oh yeah - quite common. Another instance similar to yours is documented here: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2070
and here: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2126 and other threads as well.

Do you have a JdeMO? Toyota gave me a hard time about that and I had to have it removed before they would honor the warranty (above thread).

Good luck!

Please print this out and give to the dealer for the onboard charger removal.

JdeMO Supplement - Cabin Heater removal:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t32jg2u7w3d968/ToyotaRav4EVJdeMOsupplementForCabinHeaterRemoval.pdf?dl=0

Update:

Due to life getting in the way, and not being dead in the water with the JdeMO ;) , I just dropped off the RAV at Carson Toyota yesterday. They have been testing it this morning (multiple charge interruption emails). I will update more as I hear back.

Picked the RAV up yesterday. They replaced the on-board charger and all is well. They charged $300 to work around the JdeMO, which is a little high, but they did not give any hassle about it. Took 1 week from drop-off to pickup, with a free rental. JdeMO was fully functional on return as well.

I got (actually my son got) the 4 clicks and stop charging symptom today (which i've seen once before, but reconnecting the charger fixed it that time).

Anyway, interestingly, connecting the 120Volt (slow) charger that came with the car worked. (which will probably work for now).

I'm out of my platinum warranty now so if i need to get the Tesla charger replaced, i bet it's expensive. Does anyone know what they charge to replace one?

n3ckf said:
I got (actually my son got) the 4 clicks and stop charging symptom today (which i've seen once before, but reconnecting the charger fixed it that time).

Anyway, interestingly, connecting the 120Volt (slow) charger that came with the car worked. (which will probably work for now).

I'm out of my platinum warranty now so if i need to get the Tesla charger replaced, i bet it's expensive. Does anyone know what they charge to replace one?
Nick, you should call Tony at Quick Charge Power. He may have lined up a supply of used or reconditioned on-board chargers. I mentioned to him in a Facebook thread that we need an EV trained independent tech that can do out of warranty work in the Bay Area if he can supply the parts. We should also discuss with Magnussen's if they will install parts we bring in. I still have 3 years of extended warranty left because mine is pretty low mileage.

More on this - it might be one particular EVSE. Charing at 120v worked, charging with JDEMO worked, and charging with a different (Chargepoint) EVSE worked. SO i think my EVSE might have an issue, not my charger.

n3ckf said:
More on this - it might be one particular EVSE. Charing at 120v worked, charging with JDEMO worked, and charging with a different (Chargepoint) EVSE worked. SO i think my EVSE might have an issue, not my charger.

FWIW, my car would not charge with any of 4 EVSEs (120V, 240V, different currents) when the internal charger failed.

tgreene said:
n3ckf said:

FWIW, my car would not charge with any of 4 EVSEs (120V, 240V, different currents) when the internal charger failed.

This was my experience as well. No EVSE would work with the on-board charger. JdeMO worked just fine.

The part was roughly $3600 on my invoice (covered by warranty).

Back