Replacement head unit

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloegans

HELP! Nav screen died while driving. Dealer told me they tried to reset the head unit with no success, cost to replace is 5,800. I do NOT have an extended warranty. the car is 3 1/2 years old so out of warranty on time in warranty on miles 35,000 miles). Toyota won't cover it but offered to cover a percentage. Still 3,000 to fix. The radio works, its just the screen. THEN dealer calls me yesterday to reschedule the appointment because they don't have the part in, he tells me the parts are "Refurbished" but he may have an option for a new unit at a "comparable" price. I am furious, 5,800 for a refurbished part that no one told me was refurbished? Does that mean they can take my unit out as well, refurbish it and resell it to another EV owner for 5,800????? This feels very deceptive. I have not talked to the dealer yet, left a message, but I will ask him about warranty on the part. Are there any other options than going to the dealer for this fix? What if they really can fix it and they are just telling me to replace the whole unit knowing full well I would never be able to find someone to fix it????? Help and suggestions much appreciated before I spend 3,000 dollars on a 4 year old car.

I think you already received some good answers on the Facebook page. I liked the idea of taking it apart to try to replace the screen itself. Seems like a good and affordable option.

Any updates on this thread? My screen went black a while ago, up until now it wasn’t bothering me, until I accidentally deleted my Bluetooth connection from my phone. I also haven’t fiddled with it too much as my radio presets are still working and I don’t have a dealer nearby that will service until the boarders open back up.

Jamison said:
Any updates on this thread? My screen went black a while ago, up until now it wasn’t bothering me, until I accidentally deleted my Bluetooth connection from my phone. I also haven’t fiddled with it too much as my radio presets are still working and I don’t have a dealer nearby that will service until the boarders open back up.
I dont think anyone but me is tinkering with this car anymore. I'm even thinking of moving on too.

I do have a like new head unit for sale if you need a replacement.

Back