My Rav4 stalled out on me.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD172

After work today I jumped in the Rav, put her in drive, hit sport mode, and stepped on the pedal. The car moved about three feet forward and stopped abruptly. I initially thought I was relearning how to drive a manual transmission and then came back to reality and remembered this was an EV. I cycled the power off and on and there was a dash warning that said have a dealership check the EV system immediately. I drove straight to the dealership with a slight worry that it would die on me again but thankfully it didn't. So now I'm waiting. I'll let you all know what happens.

WIth the latest wave of rain storms in CA, it "could" have been a water intrusion problem with the electrical system, or worse - the battery pack! Lucky for you, it was just a loose connector. I wonder how it got that way? Where is it located? Under the dash? Under the hood?

Dsinned said:
WIth the latest wave of rain storms in CA, it "could" have been a water intrusion problem with the electrical system, or worse - the battery pack! Lucky for you, it was just a loose connector. I wonder how it got that way? Where is it located? Under the dash? Under the hood?

I was in a bit of a rush and I didn't get any details just what my service rep and paperwork told me. My wife was also surprised that I didn't get every minute detail.

On Thursday I got in my car and when I turned it on, the GoM said "Lo" and showed zero bars. I knew I had an almost full charge. At the same time, or very shortly thereafter, I got an "EV System Error" warning on the right side of the dash. Then the GoM returned to normal (just a few seconds later), but the error didn't go away and the car would not go into drive. I turned it off and then on again (reminds me of "The IT Crowd") and the GoM was normal but the error stayed and the car still wouldn't go into gear. I did the off and on again thing a few more times and the error remained, but on the 5th try, she went into gear and I drove the relatively short distance home. On Friday morning I arranged to take her in for service and when I started her up, there was no more error message and no problems getting into gear. (I didn't charge overnight as the "tank" was mostly full and I didn't want to mess with the state before the techs could look at her.) Friday evening and the dealer doesn't know what's up, so I have the loaner Rav4EV for the weekend.

This sounds suspiciously similar to the OP.

Dave

SeaMonster, it has been nearly a month since they too data recordings from your car to go off and "study". Anything yet as to what the scheduled charging fault is caused by and how to fix it?

Dsinned said:
SeaMonster, it has been nearly a month since they took data recordings from your car to go off and "study". Anything yet as to what the scheduled charging fault is caused by and how to fix it?

No. Nothing real. I got a quick update with very little info which I posted about on Mar 7th in this thread. I will post anything I learn in that thread.

I did send a rather terse email to my dealer today. I hope it will light a fire. Charging failures was not the only topic.

I had something similar happen several weeks ago. I stopped for a quick meal at a fast food restaurant (with a mostly full charge), and when I started the car to leave, the GOM displayed "low". It would still drive, so rather startled, I headed for home. As I drove, the GOM miles started to come back - at the rate of about 1 mile added every few seconds. By the time I got home, my GOM range was back to where it originally was, at almost a full charge. It hasn't done anything like that since, no problems. Still, was very unsettling.

SeaMonster said:
On Thursday I got in my car and when I turned it on, the GoM said "Lo" and showed zero bars. I knew I had an almost full charge. At the same time, or very shortly thereafter, I got an "EV System Error" warning on the right side of the dash. Then the GoM returned to normal (just a few seconds later), but the error didn't go away and the car would not go into drive. I turned it off and then on again (reminds me of "The IT Crowd") and the GoM was normal but the error stayed and the car still wouldn't go into gear. I did the off and on again thing a few more times and the error remained, but on the 5th try, she went into gear and I drove the relatively short distance home. On Friday morning I arranged to take her in for service and when I started her up, there was no more error message and no problems getting into gear. (I didn't charge overnight as the "tank" was mostly full and I didn't want to mess with the state before the techs could look at her.) Friday evening and the dealer doesn't know what's up, so I have the loaner Rav4EV for the weekend.

This sounds suspiciously similar to the OP.

Dave
On Thursday I mistakenly left the car on and ran down my 12volt battery. After charging it I got the car to run but I had the EV System error so I took it into the dealer Friday morning. They called me late Friday and told me they will need the car at least through Monday.
Earlier I had been experiencing very large GOM numbers like 175 miles. That was with all climate controls including the fan off. When I would turn on the fan just to the lowest setting the GOM dropped to 90 miles.

I don't know what the OP is but our situations sound similar.

Wow, tomorrow my car will have been n the shop for a week. They have no clue what is up. Seems that it took them until yesterday to access the "Tesla Portal". At least they gave me another Rav4 EV as a loaner. But I want my car...

OK, after having my car for a week, they are giving it back to me tomorrow. They don't have a clue what happened. They say that both Tesla and Toyota were working on the car. Not sure, but all they did for me was rotate the tires. 1/2 x :)

I got my car today. They have no idea what happened. The Toyota system reported that there was an error from the Tesla system. The Tesla system had no error. They tested impedance on a whole bunch of cables and no problems. Toyota looked at it and drove it and Tesla looked and drove it and there is no indication now that anything is wrong.

Back