plastic shield under motor loose

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3ckf

I discovered on my Rav4ev that the plastic "cover" underneath the motor has come loose (fortuantely at the back, it was dragging on the ground). I duct-taped it up on both sides to get the car home and it stayed up during the drive but I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with this thing coming loose. It looks like its just a plastic cover, but it was dark when i reattached it. I assume it has some bolts that ripped out or something like that. on the back.

I'm planning on visiting a dealer with the car soon, but am interested in hearing if this has happened to anyone else.

It happened to me, I was driving along and i hit a deep puddle of water and it got ripped off the bottom of the rav. It was dragging on the ground and it got torn up. I bought a new one from a Toyota dealer somewhere around $150. It is held up by plastic push pins that you can get at any auto parts store.

Suspension Crossmember & Undercovers

Suspension_Crossmember_and_Undercover_01b.png

Had this happen and I just reconnected it with a bolt and nut from hardware store. Works fine. It's a little tricky to get up under there and get the bolt through, but you can do it.

i investigated today.

the 2 "edge" plastic plugs on the back edge of the thing were completely missing (i'm assuming they broke off and are gone becuase of that).

Once i repositioned the shield (it fits under another shield at the edge on one side), i was able to use some bumper-pins connectors to reconnect it on either side at the rear (which is just behind the tires on either side). Looks just like new now.

Fortunately it must have fallen off while my son was driving it rigth before i noticed it dragging when he pulled up in the car becuase there was very little abrasion on the shield itself from the road.

I notice the front end of this shield is much more robustly attached just behind the bumper. (with actual bolts) as well as the plastic push-pin connectors.

Thanks for the help!
-jcp-

Yes, happened to me. I noticed one time after the dealer returned the car to me (clearning a warning from letting the 12V die).
I told the dealer the car wasn't like that when I left it here.

After a bit of back and forth the rep said it was missing the standard toyota hooks and that they had those laying all over the floor in the service shop.
He ended up getting a few of them and installing them for free. it only took him a few minutes and no tools.

I'd recommend checking with a toyota dealer and see if they'd provide you with a few of those to put back in.

Well it went to the dealer today (for another reason i wanted its regular service done) and they replaced the 2 connectors under the car that i hadnt already replaced. they only charged me for one of them actually but they put two in and didnt charge me any labor).
(I was at Palo Alto Toyota, which is where I take the car always since they seem to do better than any other local toyota dealer and i had to come down to the Bay anyway).

Back