"100%" charge=extended mode or regular mode?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanevRav

Hi, I have a few questions about charging, but the main one is: is 100% charged fully charged in extended or regular charging mode?
I have heard that keeping the car 100% charged for long periods is bad for the battery, but could I just leave the car plugged in over night in regular mode, which would leave the car ~80% charged, or would this be the 100% charge that I would want to avoid? Isn't there a software fix for this?

Relatedly, how do I plug the car in over night without worrying that it will be at 100% for up to a few hours?

I find the programmed charge function really confusing. Could anyone point me to a page explaining this better than the manual does?

:shock:

DanevRav said:
Hi, I have a few questions about charging, but the main one is: is 100% charged fully charged in extended or regular charging mode?
I have heard that keeping the car 100% charged for long periods is bad for the battery, but could I just leave the car plugged in over night in regular mode, which would leave the car ~80% charged, or would this be the 100% charge that I would want to avoid? Isn't there a software fix for this?

Relatedly, how do I plug the car in over night without worrying that it will be at 100% for up to a few hours?

I find the programmed charge function really confusing. Could anyone point me to a page explaining this better than the manual does?

:shock:

You know that you can turn extended range mode on or off right? It doesnt have to be on, you can leave it off and never use it if you are worried.

Its been posted here many times but the biggest killers of lithium ion batteries are as follows.
Fully charging the battery to 100%.
Fully charging the battery and letting it sit for an extended period of time.
Extreme heat.
Depleting the battery to a very low state of charge.
Cycles.
Combine any of the above and it exacerbates the degradation.

Dont use extended range mode and the car wont charge to 100%. I use it occasionally. If you need it you need it, I just wouldnt use it every day.

What about the programmed charge is stumping you? There are threads about it on here but maybe someone can help you.

Back