Brakes locking up at start. EV makes "ABS" vibration.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comm3000

Hi All.

My RAff was a good doggy for a couple of month then I got this weird issue when when I am trying to take off it feels like brakes are locked and car will not go. If you kick a "gas" pedal (gently) it will start driving after 1-2 seconds and then drive OK until next long stop.

Once or twice I had weird ABS-like shake on the highway and in one occasion very short loss of power. After a second or two it normalized I was driving normally in between those accidents.

So, now car is at a dealership (atlantatoyota.com). Alex Green from Toyota was involved and they telling me now it's a traction motor issue and fix will be around $7400 (add a dead heater to that $$ as well). I was told that troubleshooting will be free and they had a guy flying?? from CA to Atlanta to look at my car and help to troubleshoot.

I do applause to Atlanta Toyota to be willing to deal with it at all :) but not sure if I am ready to pay $7400 for the repairs. I thought that my option could be to purchase extended warranty but not certain if it will be honored if I am buying it AFTER it broke.

Who have any good ideas on the subject?

It sounds like a parking pawl malfunction. This has been happening more lately. I think this is the fourth one I've heard about.

This is why people have suggested buying the Toyota Platinum Warranty. Even if you buy the warranty now, I don't think there is any way they will pay because they know the plan purchase date and diagnosis date in the Toyota systems. I believe there is also a 30 day waiting period.

Believe it or not, $7,400 is a price reduction from the ~$10k other people were told a year or so ago for a drive unit replacement out of warranty. It's still a lot of money. It might be worthwhile to call Quick Charge Power to see if they have any viable options for you.

I'd contact the guys at quickchargepower.com. I know Georgia is a long ways away, but at $7400, you could ship it there and back and maybe still be cheaper...or they may be able to source parts that a local third party EV shop could use to do the work...or they may have other ideas. Worse that happens is that they can't help you.

+1 for repair at QCP. Also, check your motor coolant level. I suspect the issue might be coolant leaking into the DU and causing the motor windings to expand. This would present as you describe and in a short time the motor will lock up completely. I believe Tony at QCP has seen this issue one or more times.

I experienced the same brakes locking, vibration and was told we needed the traction motor assembly replaced. First price Toyota Walnut Creek quoted me was $17,500!!!! I immediately called Toyota Headquarters and after battling with them for almost 3 months while my RAV4 EV set in the Walnut Creek Dealership the price was reduced 3 more times. From $17,500 to $12k to $2,300 then after me going off on them several times and threatening with a lawsuit all I ended paying was $608!! I asked why the huge price difference and they could not give me an answer. So there is something fishy here with the Rav4 EVs

miimura said:
It sounds like a parking pawl malfunction. This has been happening more lately. I think this is the fourth one I've heard about.

We've never had a parking pawl failure with the DOZENS of Tesla motors that we've removed from Toyota Rav4 EVs.

Yes, lots of folks talk about it, but very few have ever actually seen such a failure (I would venture to say some number very close to zero people).

Toyota RAV4 EV Traction motor assembly. Part number 0G1100-0R012-84. Cost directly from Toyota $6173.89. Comes with unlimited miles and 12 month warranty. Installation is extra ~$1100 (here in GA dealership)

I was not able to find this part number anywhere in a Wide Web, so I suppose it's Toyota's internal SKU

Please be aware that your price and installation cost at your dealership can be significantly different. I have a suspicion that it's changing from place to person, to arrangement with Toyota.

comm3000 said:
... I was not able to find this part number anywhere in a Wide Web, so I suppose it's Toyota's internal SKU
For example? take a look https://parts.toyota.com/p/MOTOR-ASSEMBLY---ELECTRIC-VEHICLE-TRACTION/63540922/G11000R012.html

I only searhed link this Toyota Part No. (G1100-0R012) in a Wide Web.
Toyota Part Number vs. Tesla Part Number:
20190sm.jpg

comm3000 said:
Nice find!

Two humorous remarks:
1. It said TESLA on it in BIG letters!!! :)
2. It's unavailable :(
Makes sense as there are no new ones, just refurbs, so every replacement is going to be a special order that involves sending the old one back to Tesla for rework.

Update:
Some dude from Toyota (from California) and another man from Tesla went to our local dealership and installed me new motor. Somehow during the process they managed to break "G3834-0R010 ( Grip, Service Plug)" part :) and now Tony is shipping it here for them to install. They promised to get me back on the road by next Tuesday.

Crapload of money later...

comm3000 said:
Update:
Some dude from Toyota (from California) and another man from Tesla went to our local dealership and installed me new motor. Somehow during the process they managed to break "G3834-0R010 ( Grip, Service Plug)" part :) and now Tony is shipping it here for them to install. They promised to get me back on the road by next Tuesday.

Crapload of money later...

See if you can send me back the one that they broke. It'll be a conversation piece that I can add to the pile!

We shipped that 2 day Fedex, so it would be there Wed, 11 Dec 2019.

I'm not sure how much stuff we have sold Tesla over the years, but I know for a fact that I've never sold ANYTHING to Toyota!!!

Back