Confused about Battery Degradation

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atzmark

When I got my RAV4 EV two years ago it would charge to the same range (~85 miles) using both regular and extended mode.
On this forum it was explained to me that was proper operation: once the battery has degraded to 85% capacity it will be charged to full capacity with both charge modes , and at 75% degradation the battery is being overcharged. The charging system has preset levels and is "dumb".

Two years later and nothing has changed. Apparently the battery degraded more than 15% (-25 miles) the first four years, and has not degraded at all for the last two years. A large and rapid degration in the first four years, and no loss of range the following two years (no degradation?, same 85 mile range) seems odd.

The car has been to two dealers (Oxnard & Mahnattan Beach) who affirmed that the reason the extended charge isn't working is battery degradation and the "Health Check" pass/no pass says the charging system is good. Both dealers said they have no diagnostics available to test the capacity of the battery.

This dosen't see right to me. Any comments or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

As the temperatures get cooler you may see less range. Mid temperatures of Fall and Spring give best range so don't be fooled by the seasons.
Also degradation tends to slow with time. Not linear. Anyway what is to complain about if you still have the range....

Back