RAV4 Jerking and lost power

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddh

Was driving home yesterday and the RAV started jerking like power to the drive unit was being interrupted. Coasted for a bit and then drove the last mile home - it seemed normal but I was taking it easy.

Took it out tonight for a short drive, 2 miles at low speed, and it seemed fine until I stopped to back into the driveway. When I shifted to reverse it immediately had problems backing up. I was able to drive forward and pull into the driveway but it was having problems and losing power.

There are No error or dash lights indicating a problem.

Thoughts on what might be wrong, anything I should look at before calling the dealer?

Likely problems include a misbehaving parking pawl or motor coolant in the drive inverter. The latter should throw some errors though.

Most likely, you will need a new or rebuilt drive unit. I hope you have extended warranty coverage.

IMO. Need to start with a simple check for the presence of coolant on the speed sensor:
file.php
file.php

I just replaced a speed sensor on our 2012 with 67000 miles. Car died on road in a busy intersection. Could turn car on but got no motion when pedal depressed it through codes and stopped functioning. Replaced with another sensor and works fine now. The old one was a bit wet when pulled is this an indication of the bearing failing or the seals? Is it time for the bearing replacement and new seals?

Steve

hbrav said:
I just replaced a speed sensor on our 2012 with 67000 miles. Car died on road in a busy intersection. Could turn car on but got no motion when pedal depressed it through codes and stopped functioning. Replaced with another sensor and works fine now. The old one was a bit wet when pulled is this an indication of the bearing failing or the seals? Is it time for the bearing replacement and new seals?
Steve
The presence of traces of coolant on the speed sensor is a sign that it has got into the motor assembly. If teflon oil seals (and ceramic bearings) are not replaced, then the consequences will be fatal.
For example,
https://youtu.be/ps2gha4w5YE
and image http://alflash.com.ua/phpBB2/download/file.php?id=3706

Two months later and the Rav is still at the dealership.

They thought it was a bad 12V battery and we replaced it. They also calibrated a sensor they said was off due to possible low 12V power. Jerking stopped.

However, as soon as I got it home I was not able to charge. Sent it back and they said there was a code for a bad charging cable. They ordered me a new 120V charger(even though I told them this happens with the 240V wall charger). They charged successfully twice at the dealer with the new 120V cable and sent it home.

At home it would not charge again, I tried the brand new 120V charger 1st then the 240V wall charger. I knew they had reset the computer, so I disconnected the 12V battery after which it charged. Did this several times - No Charge, reset computer, charge successfully once or twice then no charge. Sent it back to dealer.

They said there was a code and they replaced the onboard charger. Still would not charge. Then they got a low coolant error, checked and sure enough just as you said the speed sensor was wet.

Two weeks ago they ordered a replacement drive unit, it was supposed to arrive last week. Today they called me and the unit still has not shipped out of CA. They do not know when the drive until will get here, could be another 2 weeks according to the service rep. They think they have someone that can install drive unit once it arrives, since Tesla is not sending techs out due to Covid.

Two months and I am getting frustrated. :roll:

I do have the extended warranty until 2024 so thank goodness for that.

I have been on the Tesla site looking at Model Y but not a good time to incure more debit.

toddh said:
Is the car warranty extended for the time it is being repaired?

alflash said:
toddh said:
Is the car warranty extended for the time it is being repaired?
No, it is not. The extended warranty is like an insurance policy. They don't care how long it takes to fix. The only potential impact is if you start a claim and repair while the policy is in effect, they will probably still pay if the policy expires during an approved repair. You must get approval for eligible repairs over a certain value. As long as that approval was given while the policy was in effect, they should pay.

The extended warranty also provides a rental vehicle for eligible repairs, but it is limited to 5 days per incident.

Dealership still has my RAV4 EV. They now say a new drive unit should be here this weekend.

They are going to have their mechanic replace the drive unit himself. Last time I believe they flew in a Tesla tech to do the swap. Should I trust a normal Toyota mechanic to replace the drive unit? Are there issues that may arise from having a mechanic that is not fully qualified in EVs do the replacement of the Tesla drive unit?

They have had difficulties diagnosing this from the start so I am not completely confident in their skill level with this technology.

It has been 3 months since this started so I am ready to get my RAV4 back.

TTBOMK, a Toyota EV/Hybrid tech is supposed to be doing the swap, due to the HV involved. I don't know what their cert process involves.

---------------

I bought a set of HV gloves, but I hope to never have to use them.

toddh said:
Dealership still has my RAV4 EV. They now say a new drive unit should be here this weekend.

They are going to have their mechanic replace the drive unit himself. Last time I believe they flew in a Tesla tech to do the swap. Should I trust a normal Toyota mechanic to replace the drive unit? Are there issues that may arise from having a mechanic that is not fully qualified in EVs do the replacement of the Tesla drive unit?

They have had difficulties diagnosing this from the start so I am not completely confident in their skill level with this technology.

It has been 3 months since this started so I am ready to get my RAV4 back. ...
Hopefully they will tighten all the bolts / nuts in the right direction and with the right force.
But I'm not sure if they will do all the subsequent procedures. For example, will the mandatory "Coolant Air Purge"Procedure after Drive Motor Assembly Replacing be performed, which is done using the Tesla diagnostic program?.
Find out if possible what to do if not.

Replacement drive unit came in last week. The mechanic at the dealership is completing the replacement today. I am told he is Prius certified. They will keep the RAV until tomorrow for testing.

Other than the coolant flush with the Tesla diagnostics, is there anything else I should confirm was done?

Thanks!

Be sure to ask if there is oil in the transmission (not a joke, since there were precedents).
Tony Williams described in FB a situation when he got to repair a RAV4EV 10,000 mileage after replacing the engine with transmission absolutely oil-free/dry.

AF1QipPWSpYE1zcLKzmt7dZEENULoYbOX_vsK8EpyOBa

Link should be picture of Green coolant + grease in speed sensor cavity, looks like gray grease on q-tip. Looking into warranty 50K miles #1631

chrisspy said:
AF1QipPWSpYE1zcLKzmt7dZEENULoYbOX_vsK8EpyOBa

Link should be picture of Green coolant + grease in speed sensor cavity, looks like gray grease on q-tip. Looking into warranty 50K miles #1631
Is there traces of coolant on the speed sensor?
speed_sensor_fluid_.jpg

Back