Toyota Rav4 EV Forum
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/

ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=251
Page 42 of 53

Author:  SeattleRav4 [ Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Just a follow-up. My "drive unit" was replaced last year. It displayed all the symptoms, first whine, then clunk, then real failure clunk.
The good news is that since, it has been whisper quiet. I happened to drive on a really smooth stretch of pavement the other day with new tires and commented on just how quiet the car is. Almost Silent.

And we are now hearing of very few failures. Hopefully the infant mortality period is over.

Author:  smkettner [ Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

My drive unit was replaced this past week. Soooo much better.

Very smooth and silent accelerating modestly from a stop. Could not be happier.
However coasting gives a small faint whine. Drove about 100 miles today and I think even by the end of the day it was already slightly more than when I picked it up.
Also a very slight noise while cruising along at steady speed. This is distinctly not tire noise as best I can tell.

Is this how they really are? Will it wear in a bit and go away? I drove it real nice today... is that even necessary?

Of course comparing to my past LEAF experience where there was never a noise from the gearbox, just a shoddy battery.

Any comments?

Author:  TonyWilliams [ Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

smkettner wrote:
Of course comparing to my past LEAF experience where there was never a noise from the gearbox, just a shoddy battery.

Any comments?


The LEAF is a creampuff... everything is so smooth and quiet.

Author:  Phil [ Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Hi All!

Just bought my first RAV4 ev, after returning our Leaf upon lease end. Luckily, it's still under factory warranty because the dealership just told me that it needs a transaxle replacement (already authorized by Toyota). I did a search to find out how the transaxle is different from or relates to the motor, drive unit, etc. but to no avail. Since the symptom was a humming noise similar to those described and posted here, I hope y'all can enlighten me.

Also, is there any other work I should ask the dealer to do while they have the car waiting for the part (app 2 weeks)?

Thanks in advance!

Author:  TonyWilliams [ Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

The dealer should automatically check for all three recalls. But, it can't hurt to ask:

1) Wiler motor

2) Seat belts

3) Software 1.3.101

Author:  Phil [ Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Thanks a lot, Tony! Those were the items that I asked the dealer to take care of so I'm happy that I didn't miss anything (yet).

Just to make sure I understand: Is the transaxle the equivalent of the gearbox? In other words, this is different from the drive unit / motor, correct?

Many thanks for your patience with an ignorant newbie...

Author:  ddoxey [ Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Phil wrote:
Hi All!

Just bought my first RAV4 ev, after returning our Leaf upon lease end. Luckily, it's still under factory warranty because the dealership just told me that it needs a transaxle replacement (already authorized by Toyota). I did a search to find out how the transaxle is different from or relates to the motor, drive unit, etc. but to no avail. Since the symptom was a humming noise similar to those described and posted here, I hope y'all can enlighten me.

Also, is there any other work I should ask the dealer to do while they have the car waiting for the part (app 2 weeks)?

Thanks in advance!

TonyWilliams wrote:
The dealer should automatically check for all three recalls. But, it can't hurt to ask:

1) Wiper motor

2) Seat belts

3) Software 1.3.101


Toyota has a nice web interface for their recall database.

https://www.toyota.com/recall

Just put in your VIN and it will tell you if there are any unresolved recalls with your vehicle.

Author:  ph2 [ Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Quote:
Just to make sure I understand: Is the transaxle the equivalent of the gearbox? In other words, this is different from the drive unit / motor, correct?


Yes, gearbox/transaxle/differential all refer to the same component of the drive unit in a Rav4 EV. The drive unit in a Rav4 Ev consists of the electric motor, inverter and the differential between the former two. Toyota replaces the entire drive unit when a component of the drive unit is bad.

Author:  Phil [ Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Many thanks to all of you. Great to be part of such a supportive community!

Author:  ohyeahbigtime [ Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Hi, all. We have been happy owners of our 2013 Rav4 EV since new, not counting a few minor hiccups, but I think that's to be expected with a mix of Toyota and Tesla parts. I purchased the vehicle and the platinum warranty after the lease was up. This evening while my wife was on the way home she called me and said the car sounded a lot louder during acceleration. I was wondering if anyone had any more recent experience with this "whine" or "hum" problem and the solution, maybe even here in San Diego where we live. We have been taking it to Mossy Toyota by PB/Mission Bay, but would take it to Carlsbad or other Toyota dealerships in the area that are certified to work on the EV. Our experience with Mossy is they are often very busy, so scheduling is sometimes an issue. Thanks!

Page 42 of 53 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/