Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:21 pm 

24F-AGM is 20% off today at Pepboys for pickup or shipping $159.99. Headed out to get one now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 pm 

jimbo69ny wrote:
Have you replaced your 12v battery? If not do it now. Replace with the Bosch battery that we are always talking about.

Yes it is time to swap the Bosch back in.

The Bosch had to be removed for Carson Toyota to perform any warranty diagnostic and repair about two years ago. (long story previously posted)
Car is now past the drivetrain warranty so the Toyota battery can go. Been top charging the Bosch about every four months.

Is there a heavy 12v draw when the air conditioner starts? No clutch like the old cars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:19 am 

smkettner wrote:
jimbo69ny wrote:
Have you replaced your 12v battery? If not do it now. Replace with the Bosch battery that we are always talking about.

Yes it is time to swap the Bosch back in.

The Bosch had to be removed for Carson Toyota to perform any warranty diagnostic and repair about two years ago. (long story previously posted)
Car is now past the drivetrain warranty so the Toyota battery can go. Been top charging the Bosch about every four months.

Is there a heavy 12v draw when the air conditioner starts? No clutch like the old cars.

Nope. If anything, it would be an extra heavy startup draw on the HV DC. If you're not accelerating at the time, it's probably not significant to the traction battery.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:18 pm 

smkettner wrote:
I got the warning message today. Vehicle is out of warranty.

While driving 60 mph (cc) suddenly the vehicle basically shuts off and restarts. GOM drops to LO and turtle light is on along with EV system warning light. Car continues to run and GOM numbers start coming up as I travel. Was about 75% charged at the time. Only odd thing I noticed is that it seemed to happen when I selected to turn the air conditioning on or within a few seconds.
A few more starts and I assume the warning light will go off again and all back to normal.... whatever that is. Doubt it is worth the time in the dealer until it stops completely.
As I understand it, if you did not disconnect the battery, the technicians of the authorized serviceshop could and should read and show the trouble codes and/or currently alerts and history alerts.
If the fault indicators were turned on, then the systems/corresponding computers could and must save them.
For Example
Image,

Last edited by alflash on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:58 pm 

Last time I was in to the dealer for this the light had gone off and I was told no trouble codes were found. I had not disconnected the 12v battery.
The Toyota battery was at 12.88 volts after resting with the hood up two hours. Still made the swap but the Toyota battery seemed to be in good shape.
The warning light is now off after a few starts. Drives normal for now.

Going to test drive an I-Pace this weekend....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:13 am 

OK so now I am thinking this might be the third time. I had posted a while ago about going to turtle mode with still a bar of charge left. At this point I seem to recall that I put on the A/C just before this event happened. I assume vehicle was low enough on charge it did not recover like the other two times but just stayed in turtle and eventually cut power. Same situation going 60 mph with cruise control as I do that a lot.

Coincidence? Maybe but I think this is an issue with my vehicle. Only thing I can add is that my heater has long since failed and has not been repaired.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:04 pm 

I'm stuck with a persistent "Check EV System" message now.

It happened following a two-month period where my RAV4 EV sat unused while I was away. (I forgot to hook up the trickle charger to the 12V and the person I asked to do it while I was away didn't realize you can't make electrical contact through the painted chassis.) So my 12V Bosch AGM battery completely drained and it took some effort to get it back — hooking it up in parallel to a good 12V battery for a while to get the trickle charger to operate.

The car went haywire when I tried starting it up to get it to finish the charging of the 12V. (I was getting impatient with the trickle charger.) Well, the Bosch AGM battery seems to hold a decent voltage now (12.6 - 12.8V) and I can drive the car but I can't seem to reset the "Check EV System" message. I've tried the four plus times of power cycling it a couple of times and disconnected and reconnected the 12V a couple of times, but the warning message remains.

Any other ideas? Or is just going to require another visit to a Toyota dealer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:34 pm 

Incredulocious wrote:
I'm stuck with a persistent "Check EV System" message now.

It happened following a two-month period where my RAV4 EV sat unused while I was away. (I forgot to hook up the trickle charger to the 12V and the person I asked to do it while I was away didn't realize you can't make electrical contact through the painted chassis.) So my 12V Bosch AGM battery completely drained and it took some effort to get it back — hooking it up in parallel to a good 12V battery for a while to get the trickle charger to operate.

The car went haywire when I tried starting it up to get it to finish the charging of the 12V. (I was getting impatient with the trickle charger.) Well, the Bosch AGM battery seems to hold a decent voltage now (12.6 - 12.8V) and I can drive the car but I can't seem to reset the "Check EV System" message. I've tried the four plus times of power cycling it a couple of times and disconnected and reconnected the 12V a couple of times, but the warning message remains.

If those tricks didnt work then it sounds like you need to go to the dealer. Maybe Tony has another idea but it sounds like its dealer time. I think I have heard him say before that a failed battery can take out the DC to DC. Hopefully you have a warranty?

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:55 pm 

Incredulocious wrote:
If it is working I would just drive it normal for 2 or 3 weeks before I went to the dealer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:07 pm 

smkettner wrote:
Incredulocious wrote:
If it is working I would just drive it normal for 2 or 3 weeks before I went to the dealer.

If four start-ups don’t clear the message, and disconnecting the 12 volt doesn’t do it, you’ll have to have the dealer reset the error message coming from the Tesla gateway.

Sadly, pretty normal for a dead 12 volt battery.

Obviously, it’s perfectly safe to drive the car until it’s concenient to get the “CHECK EV” message cleared.

Ask the dealer if is a “P312F” DTC / error message.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next