Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - Heater Failed - Service Bulletin TSB 0111-14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 pm 

llnsj wrote:
I just got my car back. My bill was $4624 AFTER Toyota chipped in 30%. The parts quoted on mine were much higher than yours. I think you can expect/hope 30% sharing from Toyota.

wowzers.. that hurts

Quote:
BTW, I did ask for this TSB 0111-14 and read the print out. Basically it's is ONLY covered in the basic warranty 36mo/36K only. Well, if it's under warranty then they had to cover anyway. I talked to the service advisor and he told me most TSB were only applicable for 36mos/36K on basic warranty only.
LLN

Did you happen to take a picture of TSB 0111-14 you could post here ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 pm 

fromport wrote:

No, It's long 20 pages or so document. The front page clearly stated that it's required for 36mo/36k basic warranty.warranty.

LLN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:05 pm 

ddoxey wrote:
I just purchased my 2013 Rav4 EV, with 25K miles, about two weeks ago. I just love the way this car drives and I'm tickled pink that I'm never going to buy gasoline again.

That's around $3,957.54 in parts and coolant. If I'm on the hook for the full cost then I'll be doing the work myself.

If you knew it costed that much to fix, would you still buy the car at that price?
Did you do your research and know about this very common issue on this car?

Keep in mind that you have to fix it as some day this heater+DC-DC converter can trigger EV check screen of death and you can only tow to dealer.

LLN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:15 am 

dstjohn99 wrote:
Interested to hear how it goes with Toyota El Cajon, that's where I take my Rav. Also, if you bought it 2 weeks ago, isn't there some sort of 30 day or warranty - if it was broken when you bought it?

miimura wrote:
Depends where he bought the car. When I was looking at RAV4 EVs sold by two different Toyota dealers, they came with 1 year 10,000 miles service agreement at no additional charge.

I bought my Rav4 EV at Nash Auto in Costa Mesa. I suppose if I had read this thread first, I would have been more particular and found one being sold as "certified" at a Toyota dealership. Rather, I was seduced by the price and low mileage. Even if I end up spending around $5k for repairing the heater I think I will still be happy with my purchase.

If Toyota pays 30% for the repair that might be just enough to dissuade me from taking on the work myself.

I sure could have used a windshield defogger this morning!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 am 

ddoxey wrote:
dstjohn99 wrote:
Interested to hear how it goes with Toyota El Cajon, that's where I take my Rav. Also, if you bought it 2 weeks ago, isn't there some sort of 30 day or warranty - if it was broken when you bought it?

miimura wrote:
Depends where he bought the car. When I was looking at RAV4 EVs sold by two different Toyota dealers, they came with 1 year 10,000 miles service agreement at no additional charge.

I bought my Rav4 EV at Nash Auto in Costa Mesa. I suppose if I had read this thread first, I would have been more particular and found one being sold as "certified" at a Toyota dealership. Rather, I was seduced by the price and low mileage. Even if I end up spending around $5k for repairing the heater I think I will still be happy with my purchase.

If Toyota pays 30% for the repair that might be just enough to dissuade me from taking on the work myself.

I sure could have used a windshield defogger this morning!
Just for the record, Certified doesn't mean much. The important thing is that the Toyota dealers can sell the used car with the Platinum Used Car Service Agreement for up to 5 years and 60k miles from the time of sale.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:40 am 

So what actually goes wrong with this heater? Does it somehow dead-short and blow something in the dc-dc converter?

Can the heater simply be disconnected (before failing, obviously) to avoid the risk of issue, of course at the expense of not having cabin heat?

Or perhaps suitable fusing could be added to blow before taking out the dc-dc?

And.. does anyone know what actually goes wrong with the dc-dc? Is there a particular blown component that can be replaced to repair?

For those who have had to replace these items out of warranty.. it might be interesting to retain the old parts and examine to see if there is anything obvious as to what happened....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 am 

fromport wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
fromport wrote:

I disconnected the 12 volt battery, opened and disconnected the Main breaker/high voltage disconnect (which they disconnected to work on the HV dc-dc converter & heating element).
I re-seated the HV breaker/disconnect.
reconnected the 12 volt battery.
Car came to live (loaded navigation etc)
pressed brake and "CLICK" HV came online. problem fixed

This looks like a pretty important procedure to understand. The "Main breaker/high voltage disconnect", is that the large fuse near the forward driver-side area under the hood, or are we talking about the "plug grip" that's located under the passenger seat? Are you referring to the same thing, or two different things, in the first two steps?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:18 pm 

ddoxey wrote:
fromport wrote:

I disconnected the 12 volt battery, opened and disconnected the Main breaker/high voltage disconnect (which they disconnected to work on the HV dc-dc converter & heating element).
I re-seated the HV breaker/disconnect.
reconnected the 12 volt battery.
Car came to live (loaded navigation etc)
pressed brake and "CLICK" HV came online. problem fixed

This looks like a pretty important procedure to understand. The "Main breaker/high voltage disconnect", is that the large fuse near the forward driver-side area under the hood, or are we talking about the "plug grip" that's located under the passenger seat? Are you referring to the same thing, or two different things, in the first two steps?

The one "underneath" the passenger seat that is pulled in case of emercency by a first responder.
Apart from being a fuse, it has extra contacts that maintain a loop. As soon as the unit is removed, the loop is broken and the "computer" knows something is wrong in the High Voltage circuit and refuses to close the main contactor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 pm 

fromport wrote:

Here is the 1st page. I did not ask for a full 4 page but it contained what I need to know.

[img]
https://goo.gl/photos/QTiqMjKz5QNFUwpm6
[/img]

LLN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:39 pm 

llnsj wrote:
Here is the 1st page. I did not ask for a full 4 page but it contained what I need to know.
[img]
https://goo.gl/photos/QTiqMjKz5QNFUwpm6
[/img]

LLN

Thanks! that is really interesting info.
Everyone after Vin number 3299 has a "updated PTC heater"

Good to know, thank you for posting!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next