Latest firmware? Tesla-1.3.101, Nav-VB503200, GPS-6/1/13

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

There is upgradable firmware in the Tesla components (Tesla Gateway Control Logic Module), the Nav unit sofotware and GPS maps. Updating the GPS maps is expensive as you pay for the maps and the dealer to do the update, which takes around an hour.

EV Gateway Control (Tesla Firmware): 1.3.101 (recall firmware for speed sensor issues)
Power Management Control - Main: 896B34201500
Power Management Control - Sub: 896B54201300
Navigation Firmware: VB503200
Map GPS version: June 1, 2013
ABS/VSC/TRAC: F152642131

Please let me know if you find a newer version was applied and I will update this thread. Upgrading the Tesla Gateway Control Logic Module requires a special cable that non-authorized RAV4ev dealers out-of-state do not have. A copy of the TSB is shown on page 4 of this thread so bring a copy in case your dealer pleads ignorance on the first three updates listed above.

I am unaware of a more recent firmware update (to the Tesla Gateway Module) than 1.3.62. This was released to the field on July 29, 2013, as T-SB-0050-13, Rev1, so it may not be the latest update. The previous Gateway Module firmware was known as 1.3.57, so the calibration IDs that you are referencing may or may not be valid. In any event, the 1.3.62 update did not do anything to fix any scheduled charging related issues with my 2012 RAV4 EV.

I suspect that a dealer in Denver would be clueless because only authorized servicing dealers in CA would have the proper equipment to reflash the Gateway CPU made by Tesla installed in the left rear side covered compartment in the back of a RAV4 EV.

I did a 5,000 mile service three weeks ago but the techs failed to place a sticker. I emailed Toyota to let them know I want to know what update I have on my car as I felt the previous version (1.3.57) endangered me and my vehicle occupants ( I explained about the car shutting down while driving and EV Error Check). I may have exaggerated a bit to get their attention but it worked and they asked me to come in this week to get a 'newer' update. I was suspicious that they never even did an update, as I also did not hear about anything newer than 1.3.62, BUT if 1.3.79 is available I should be able to confirm sometime this week.

mhkp said:
I did a 5,000 mile service three weeks ago but the techs failed to place a sticker. I emailed Toyota to let them know I want to know what update I have on my car as I felt the previous version (1.3.57) endangered me and my vehicle occupants ( I explained about the car shutting down while driving and EV Error Check). I may have exaggerated a bit to get their attention but it worked and they asked me to come in this week to get a 'newer' update. I was suspicious that they never even did an update, as I also did not hear about anything newer than 1.3.62, BUT if 1.3.79 is available I should be able to confirm sometime this week.
Just took one of my Rav to the dealer for a fix on cabin heater failure. The technician told me that there is a new FW released that he will install on my Rav. He didn't told me the version number but I know my Rav is at 1.3.62. Therefore the new one should be at least 1.3.62+n. He told me the new release has something to do with time charge.

Dsinned said:
I suspect that a dealer in Denver would be clueless because only authorized servicing dealers in CA would have the proper equipment to reflash the Gateway CPU made by Tesla installed in the left rear side covered compartment in the back of a RAV4 EV.

It was a California dealer that serviced the car. Mossy Toyota in San Diego. The firmware version was printed on my invoice so I don't think they made it up.

I can confirm the latest update is 1.3.79''

This is a link to the documentation I received: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B73REETNiw7TaDJHeTJsY3BqeFk/edit?usp=sharing

photo+2.JPG

I'm curious how to tell what version firmware I have. My Navigation level is VB503150 so I know I'm not at the highest level there.

My car has been at Toyota for 4 weeks waiting for a new motor. I picked it up on Friday (1/31/14). Would they have updated the firmware when they replaced the motor?

TonyWilliams said:
Car firmware update is now 1.3.79

Navigation GPS version is dated June 1, 2013 (and costs $169 plus tax)

Your Toyota dealer also has to charge for computer time at $105/hr. It takes over an hour to install the upgrade (see my thread "GPS Upgrade")

As to whats new, I can't tell. I didn't see any new roads, and a new charging station (at the local blood bank) doesn't show. A new freeway that was under construction on 6-1-13 but opened in August is also not on the map. I just hope that the new Starbucks are shown ;)

ocdxfv said:
I'm curious how to tell what version firmware I have. My Navigation level is VB503150 so I know I'm not at the highest level there.

My car has been at Toyota for 4 weeks waiting for a new motor. I picked it up on Friday (1/31/14). Would they have updated the firmware when they replaced the motor?

Why don't you call the dealer, tell them what the latest firmware is and ask them to update it? No guessing that way.

There is an easy way to find out what the NAV system's firmware version level is by pushing a few touch screen buttons on the center console. This has been covered elsewhere here many times. As for the Gateway (Tesla) ECU's firmware version, there is no way to tell without hooking up a rather expensive Techstream diagnostic tool available at "authorized" RAV4 EV servicing Toyota Dealerships. The update procedure REQUIRES a sticker label with such information to be applied under the hood (near the rear edge). Unfortunately, some dealers are forgetting to apply that sticker even though it is explicitly required by the Techstream firmware updating procedure. :roll:

Dsinned said:
There is an easy way to find out what the NAV system's firmware version level is by pushing a few touch screen buttons on the center console. This has been covered elsewhere here many times. As for the Gateway (Tesla) ECU's firmware version, there is no way to tell without hooking up a rather expensive Techstream diagnostic tool available at "authorized" RAV4 EV servicing Toyota Dealerships. The update procedure REQUIRES a sticker label with such information to be applied under the hood (near the rear edge). Unfortunately, some dealers are forgetting to apply that sticker even though it is explicitly required by the Techstream firmware updating procedure. :roll:

There is no sticker under my hood so I guess I can't know. Maybe I'll ask them to check it for me the next time I'm in for service. Thanks for your help.

ocdxfv said:
There is no sticker under my hood so I guess I can't know. Maybe I'll ask them to check it for me the next time I'm in for service. Thanks for your help.

My dealer did it to me too. No document like other dealers with detailed information. Just got the two TSB info. They claimed to have installed the 0052-13 and 0082-13. Another thread said their should be 0082-15. Wonder if anyone can confirm if 1.3.79 is part of the 0082-13 TSB.

Notice something funny with the GOM after picking up the car. With the fan shutoff, the GOM range went from 80 to 105. This morning after charging, I notice that same thing too. Anyone seeing this similar behavior with TSB 008-13 or 008-15 installed?

Every single car I have here, whether gotten on a dealer trade OR a stock unit has been updated to 1.3.79 and no short pin surprises. I get as many cars as I can on dealer trade and it's pretty surprising to me how many other dealers' cars have the short pin issue. I head out and check them when they arrive to catch it quick.... if I can.

Yes.
Mine went from 105 to 127.
It's typical.
Your car has no idea how long you're going to use the fan. It only assumes every moment that it's gonna stay one and adjusts range for that.

dipper said:
ocdxfv said:

My dealer did it to me too. No document like other dealers with detailed information. Just got the two TSB info. They claimed to have installed the 0052-13 and 0082-13. Another thread said their should be 0082-15. Wonder if anyone can confirm if 1.3.79 is part of the 0082-13 TSB.

Notice something funny with the GOM after picking up the car. With the fan shutoff, the GOM range went from 80 to 105. This morning after charging, I notice that same thing too. Anyone seeing this similar behavior with TSB 008-13 or 008-15 installed?

Okay so i got my firmware flashed *today* at my dealer (it was 10K service time, and i asked them specifically to check).
Turns out, since i asked the service manager for the documentation on what the tech did, i got several things.

On the work order it said:

PERFORMED DRIVE TRAIN RE-FLASH, TSB-0010-14 OP EG-1400.

Then there was another document called "ECU Reprogramming Report"
This had:

Result: Reprogramming Successful
Issue Date: 10/16/2013
Model Name: RAV4 EV
Year: 12-13
Engine Type: M7M5
Vehicle Type: QEA38
System Type: HV

Before Update / After Update

896B34201400 / 896B34201500
896B54201200 / 896B54201300

Then a 3rd piece of paper that was entitled:

Vehicle Diagnostic Report
which had a few more numbers on it:
EV: (the two right hand numbers starting with 896 from above for "After Update" were here)
Electric Propulsion Control System: 1.3.83 <-- i think this is the number people refer to as the "version"
ABS/VSC/TRAC: F152642131
a few blanks
then
Combination Meter: 838000R15002
Then a whole bunch of lines that just had
838000R15001

This leads me to believe that i have version "1.3.83" ECU firmware.

Also the Telsa Drive System was reset the same way it was when my 12V battery ran flat and i replaced it earlier.
In particular the car was showing 115 miles for a "standard charge" (mine never shows a number that high except after a reset).
If its like the last time, in about 3-4 times driven, it'll revert to the normal "range" the GOM normally shows. (around 100-102 miles for a full standard charge).

Back