Longer Range Battery / Extra battery

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing that makes sense to me for the aftermarket is to salvage RAV4 EV traction battery packs. Good whole packs could be exchanged for packs with faulty modules. Those packs could provide donor modules for other customer battery packs with bad modules, etc. Some packs may sustain impact damage, so good intact battery pack shells would also have value.

fromport said:
GASKIKR said:
Is it possible that Tesla or a 3rd party battery manufacturer might venture into producing traction batteries as replacements or upgrades for the Rav4 EV and even perhaps the Mercedes B class? As the Rav4 EV ages it will have some very distinct advantages such as easy to find replacement parts for non-drivetrain components and lots of versatility for daily use. I'm sure that at least half of current Rav4 EV owners would be open to the idea of replacing their degraded pack in the next 3 to 4 years with a new larger capacity pack that would ensure at least another 6-8 years of service with better range and slower degradation due to less required charge cycles. The question is, how soon would it be a good business decision for someone to start making packs for older EV's?

I don't think Tesla has any interest whatsoever to support things like this apart from warranty
The fact that recently someone drove 96k miles with a rav (extended charge twice a day) and the battery pack only lost 10% of it's capacity, I don't think a lot of rav4ev's will want to upgrade their pack for that reason (in the next 3 to 4 years).
If you would be able to fit model S 18650 batteries (3100mAh Panasonic 18650 cells) instead of the current cells (2900mAh) would increase the capacity 7% (i think with a little bit more weight though)
If I remember correctly, panasonic already has 3400mAh cells, that would be 17% increase

Tony is working on filling up some space in the rear with extra batteries.
Keep looking in this theater ;-)

Wow, a 10% loss is tiny considering the amount of cycles it had to endure. That speaks volumes to the BMS that Tesla developed. It's funny because I actually asked this question because I'm afraid of what my capacity loss will be in the next 30-40k miles, but this puts my mind at ease. I guess anyone willing to produce aftermarket packs for this car would have to make small production runs (for fear of accumulating stagnant inventory) and probably have razor thin margins. It might be a good option as a project for someone with large testicles and a background in electrical engineering, otherwise maybe it's better to let the little Rav4 EV march towards the sunset.

Tadol said:
I'm figuring that in 2-3 years, we'll have more options in electric vehicles - hopefully even an electric pickup. So I will happily drive my Rav until the warranty runs out and the cost of repair/replacement parts are outrageously unrealistic (although the development of a used part aftermarket and maybe even upgraded parts may occur - fingers crossed).

But someday, the viability of the machine as a car will be too greatly reduced - yet even with lower capacity, the battery pack should still have a good deal of use. I would like to believe that someone will figure out a way to use it as a higher end storage system, much like the Tesla wall-pack. I can imagine my old, well used Rav, being driven out to a little cabin in the country, put up on blocks, and plugged into a solar array and a small distribution panel, and acting as the electrical heart of an off-grid getaway. A cell antenna, a few LED lights, a small 'fridge to keep my IPAs cold - I can hope that it'd all last as long as I will -

;-)

It's funny you mention a high end storage system. My mom lives in the San Fernando Valley where a gas storage facility had a massive leak. Now they're warning residents that the surrounding power plants (all natural gas) may have rolling blackouts during the summer due to a shortage of gas. A 41 kWh storage system coupled to a roof-top solar array might be enough to keep her AND her neighbors' A/C units running! Who knows, maybe we'll run an extension cord out to your beer fridge as well!

Is the "range extender" project moving ahead? I have a 2013 RAV4 EV, and I don't suffer from "range anxiety". I suffer from "lack of range". I'd like to be able to drive from my home in Cupertino to San Francisco without having to rely on finding a charge station that's open in the city. There seem to be a lot of ev's in the Bay Area, and finding an open charge station is a real crap shoot. A solid 150 mile range would be wonderful.

I'm personally booked with projects right now. But, maybe in a few months or so?

There are lots of CHAdeMO stations open 24/7. Do you have JdeMO already on the car? That will be FAR cheaper than any battery upgrade, plus you can get it now.

Looking at that route (and one that I have driven many times in my RAV4 EV), there are at least a dozen good options. Stop at the San Mateo train station (NRG / eVgo) on your way up, charge for 10-15 minutes, then hit the same spot on the way home for another 10-15 minutes.

You could drive 85mph both ways.

$2999, available now.

That's a good suggestion, of course. I just hate to be limited to recharging on such a "simple" trip. I've been stung more than once by ChargePoint telling me that there was an available charger, only to find they were all in use when I got there. Nothing like having to drive around looking for an available charging location, and ending a long way from where I wanted to be.

85 mph on 101? HA. 8.5 mph when you get close to the city. But maybe you meant 280 to 92 to the train station, then back to 92 to 280 for the balance of the trip ;)

Maybe not appropriate for this thread, but I remember reading that you were opening a CHAdeMO installation location in the Bay Area. Did that happen?

tcboyd said:
Is the "range extender" project moving ahead? I have a 2013 RAV4 EV, and I don't suffer from "range anxiety". I suffer from "lack of range". I'd like to be able to drive from my home in Cupertino to San Francisco without having to rely on finding a charge station that's open in the city. There seem to be a lot of ev's in the Bay Area, and finding an open charge station is a real crap shoot. A solid 150 mile range would be wonderful.

are you sure you can't drive to SF and back without charging?

I say that becuase i live in Fremont and do it on occasion. Google maps sez i live 39 miles from SF and Cupertino is 46 miles from SF.
Even when i drive in the mountains about the *shortest* an extended charge ever shows on the Guessometer is 96 miles (and thats probably 20% less range than it "normally" shows when i'm driving around the bay area). I get back to Fremont with ~30 miles on the clock from an extended charge and could do it on a standard.

Now, i completely support the idea of having fast charging (in fact, I have it...) because it makes the car so much more useful. (and there's a bunch of places close to that route where you can charge, (in fact there's 2 in Daly City - the Lucky slightly downhill from 280 and Westlake shopping center uphill a block or so). Either is easy if you're transiting 280 to SF. (I've charged at the Westlake one).

oh another great think about ChaDemo on the Rav4.

Even if you arrive at the charger and there isnt one, you cant actually wait that long to charge (the chargers cut off after 30min). The key is to find locations with more than 1 charger and you'll basically never have to wait. (I think i've had to only twice so far).

I have driven Los Altos to San Francisco round trip many times and I don't think about range as long as I start with an Extended Charge. I usually get home with 30-35 miles showing on the GOM. Cupertino is only 15 more miles RT. Now, if you're going to be running errands and criss-crossing the city all day, then that's a different story.

Google Maps says it's 50.3 miles from my house to SFMOMA...a random place I sometimes go. The "typical" charge that I get indicates 108 to 110 miles with "environmentals" on. I would never risk having just 8 to 10 miles of range left on a trip. I don't want to end my drive in "limp home" mode. My understanding is that the basic rule of thumb with lithium batteries is never over-charge and never over-discharge them. Sadly, for that reason I usually take my ICE car to San Francisco. Like I originally said, I'd LOVE to have a solid 150 mile range without having to recharge along the way.

I'm certainly not opposed to installing a JdeMO fast charge connection on my RAV4. But I looked briefly at the CHAdeMO charge station location map, and the closest to SFMOMA is several blocks away. Of course I could be going somewhere closer to a CHAdeMO charger in San Francisco, but still...

tcboyd said:
... I remember reading that you were opening a CHAdeMO installation location in the Bay Area. Did that happen?

I'm not sure what reference that might be to... I owned the first DC charger on the ChargePoint network, and it is now officially retired.

I will have two DC chargers at the ReFuel event in Monterey, at Laguna Seca, on May 22.

tcboyd said:
Google Maps says it's 50.3 miles from my house to SFMOMA...a random place I sometimes go. The "typical" charge that I get indicates 108 to 110 miles with "environmentals" on. I would never risk having just 8 to 10 miles of range left on a trip. I don't want to end my drive in "limp home" mode. My understanding is that the basic rule of thumb with lithium batteries is never over-charge and never over-discharge them. Sadly, for that reason I usually take my ICE car to San Francisco. Like I originally said, I'd LOVE to have a solid 150 mile range without having to recharge along the way.

I'm certainly not opposed to installing a JdeMO fast charge connection on my RAV4. But I looked briefly at the CHAdeMO charge station location map, and the closest to SFMOMA is several blocks away. Of course I could be going somewhere closer to a CHAdeMO charger in San Francisco, but still...
I'm sorry to read that you're so concerned about getting the most out of your RAV4 EV. I'd like to try to encourage you to be able to enjoy it more.

Starting with your "typical" range estimate, remember that the range estimate it's calculated based on your recent driving activity and you'll likely find, as I do, that your available range increases on nice, consistent long drives like the one from Cupertino to San Francisco. (As opposed to stop and go driving or mountainous driving.)

But on point two, it's really unnecessary to avoid ever using the bottom limits of your available charge or to avoid charging it up fully in extended charge. The potential for degradation comes from letting it sit around at empty or fully charged (in extended charge mode). Plus I would like to say that it's not that your "risking" having just 8-10 miles left. Between San Francisco and Cupertino there are always dozens of charging stations around so, at worst, you're never at risk of anything more than discovering that you need to stop and charge when you didn't intend to.

Regarding JdeMO fast charging, keep in mind that it's fast enough (typically around 30 minutes) that it's not like you're going to leave it plugged in while you visit SFMOMA for half-a-day. It's not something that needs to be at your destination – it's more like finding a gas station because you'll need to treat it more like a pit stop, if it turns out you need the added charge. You'll be hanging out nearby having a meal, a coffee break or whatever until you're done. And for the route in question, you'd likely only need a few/ten minutes of charge time to add say the extra 30 miles or so that you want. Or you could do the similar for an hour or more at the more common J1772/level 2 chargers scattered all over the place.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you to be able to more enjoy your RAV4. Use your available range! Don't worry about "limping" home. Over the course of your trip, if it starts to look like you might run out, slowing down will have a big effect but there's plenty of chargers around (and many in more obscure places that aren't nearly as crowded) if you truly aren't going to make it. You'll never really be stranded if you're paying as much attention to your available range as it sounds like you already do. Ideally of course you'll be able to plug-in near your destination at a short walk away and none of this will come up.

Many of us have become comfortable enough that we have arrived home many times with the range estimate at "--", running on the equivalent of "fumes". I certainly have, and that's after committing to climbing up and over highway 17 to get back to Santa Cruz, but I know with much experience that I only need three or so bars left when I get to Los Gatos to get over the hill. (It's all downhill from there!) This is also from experience with originally using a LEAF with only 70-75 miles and having to budget for half of that going to just getting over the hill and back again on highway 17 .

For me, my gas car sits unused except for much longer trips like when the one-way distance is much longer than my available range (going to Tahoe, for instance). I'm comfortable finding a charge station somewhere like San Francisco (75 miles away, plus big elevation climb over 17) since there's so many of them in the city – or even on the way back if I'm going to stop somewhere to eat anyway. Now that I have JdeMO, we've even done trips that require a single stop along the way (like Santa Cruz to Sacramento, 150 miles) since it's not a very long stop with CHAdeMO.

Good luck and I hope you'll give it a try and over time find that you can leave your gas car behind more often!

Here's how I would make your trip from Cupertino to San Francisco, and return:

1) With JdeMO, you don't even need to start with a fully charge RAV4 EV

2) From Cupertino, drive leisurely up 280 to beat the hustle of 101

3) Drive just 40 miles to Luckys grocery (newly remodeled), 6843 Mission Street, Daly City, CA 94015 (see, you only needed to start with perhaps 60 miles of range on the GOM to safely arrive here)

4) Plug into the newly installed NRG/eVgo chargers for 15-30 minutes (they timeout at 30 minutes). You will need an NRG card first. If, for whatever reason, these two stations are broken or blocked, there are many other chargers in the area.

5) Drive 9 miles to San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 151 3rd St, San Francisco, CA 94103. When you arrive, it will likely still show a "full" indication on the fuel indicator!!!

6) Drive very easily via 280 or 101 to return. There are quite literally oddles of charging locations, but you won't need any of them to return.

IMG_3370_1.jpg

Thank everyone for all the information about fast charging. It definitely is something I'll consider. I may have given the wrong impression with my post. I've had the car for 2 1/2 years, and I've used "opportunity" and "destination" charging many times, all at Level 2 J1772 charge stations. It's just that there are times when I wish I didn't have to do that.

Keep in mind that Tony started this thread to explore the interest in providing extended range by supplementing the battery pack, and that was the nature of my original posting. I think one of the reasons Tesla is successful is the range of their cars. I certainly can't be alone in thinking that the RAV4 EV would be improved with a bigger battery pack. It would be nice not to have to spend $100k to get that range (yes, I know that the Model 3 is coming for less than $100k).

Anyway, it sounds like a larger battery pack is at least some months off, if it happens at all. Anyone else who's interested in it, I'd encourage them to let Tony know.

I just passed my 2nd anniversary with my Rav4EV and have clocked more than 45000 miles. Driving every day 70-90 miles without fail, a bit larger tank would be beneficial to me. Once the lease is up, I plan to buy the car. Fast forward a few years, I would be VERY open to a battery upgrade that would extend my range 40-50 miles.

tcboyd said:

This is way I bought the RAV4 EV over every other EV. My main criteria was that I wanted to drive roundtrip from Sunnyvale/Cupertino to SF without worry about a charge. I have done that several times (once even without extend charging). Between Uber/Lyft, I never know where a I might be headed. One day, I went from Palo Alto to SJC/Levi's to SFO, to San Mateo, to The Presido in SF. That time I was left with 20mi on the GOM in SF so I stopped by a free Volta station to charge until I got 42mi (which WAZE said I needed from there) and then took 101 (mostly flat vs 280 hilly) home at a leisurely pace until the GOM said I had 5mi more than needed and then I upped the speed. Still got home with 3 on the GOM, never a worry. Now I have JDeMo and living the dream..

wow i drove a gas car to my house in the mountains for the first time in about 18 months.
its so annoying the gas tank wont be full when i get up in the morning! :)

I've driven from Santa Clara to the city and back many of times without charging. The main thing you want to avoid is taking the 280. It's tempting because there is less traffic, however, the hills kill your range. Take the 101 instead. I agree though it is a tight trip if you are driving 75mph. I usually charge at Mission Street garage or at Crissy Field when I drive to the city too fast.

Tony, after seeing some of the salvaged Rav4 EV battery packs on eBay - I wonder how much the upgrades would be (roughly) if we provide you with Rav4 original cells (likely there would be enough good cells for 18kwh increase, and I won't be getting more than that).

Also, will JDEmo/L2 charger work seamlessly with the upgrade, or would you have to manually switch between the battery packs you're charging?

Back