New Paint

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystal

When/if I get my RAV, the color options they have aren't really appealing to me. I'd rather have it light green or light blue.

I often hear ridiculous values when it comes to painting a car fully, 8000-10000 for an SUV. However, I am not too concerned with the door seems and such. Although if I have to pay $8,000 for paint that's not too much of a big deal for me to get the right color... although a bit ridiculous. :mrgreen:

That said, I have heard of these metallic paint cover decals you can get custom made. Anyone ever heard anything about that? Or should I just go to Maaco and get a 15$ paint job with Expo markers? ;)

OK... I'll bite

There is an immense amount of work to paint a car correctly... especially to change a color. $100+/hr shop rates are the standard and, as the saying goes... time is money and there is an incredible amount of time to do things right. It really needs to be done so as not to be able to tell that it has been done. Getting into changing out door weather stripping, under hood details and wheel wells and trim... added is the high cost of the paints today that are the only options available here in CA, the cost goes thru the roof. I know of a guy who used a red clear/color combination recently that paid around $800/gal. :shock: The overhead of operating a body shop and high tech paint booths today is very high. County and state regulations will make your head spin. This all adds up to the 8-10K paint job. I have seen higher...

It's not ridiculous... you get what you pay for.

I know I wouldn't be happy with a cheap Macco paint job on my new 50K Rav4 EV...

How about a body wrap? I haven't researched pricing recently but a few years ago I thought it was within the realm of possible. The only downside (which might be an upside) is that you will need to replace sooner than a paint job.

arnold

Wow! Indeed I knew there had to be some kind of explanation. I didn't know how much would be involved for such a task. Oh well, I just wish the car came in the colors I wanted... although money isn't entirely an issue. :|

Body wrap? Is that the decal-like thing I mentioned? Can you tell me more about that please?

I did a complete vinyl wrap of my car by myself, and my cost was $700. I spent about 4 hours per week and it took me 4 months to finish.

dark said:
I did a complete vinyl wrap of my car by myself, and my cost was $700. I spent about 4 hours per week and it took me 4 months to finish.

More information please! I take it you found someone that will supply the material and instructions?

arnold

When I bought second hand car, it has few scratches so I need designer vehicle wraps for that. Looking for designer and affordable wraps from online but not finding unique one. Please share your opinions how to find a nice design.

Back