Volt & Amp meter to replace charging "blinking lights"

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg1.jpg

This is not a photoshop trick. We installed this on Rav4 EV #3 last night.

We replaced the blinking lights. Here are the modes of the blinking lights:

1) Both on - charge complete
2) both alternately flashing - timer on, not yet charging
3) left light blinking - charging, battery at 50% or less
4) left on, right blinking - charging, battery at 50% or more

This will be offered in the coming month or two.

Pretty neat! Does the dual LCD take the place of the LEDs or can it just be mounted anywhere you like? How long is the wiring harness for the current sensor and AC voltage input? I assume it has to be mounted close to the J1772 charge port connector, but in the rear window area, next to the dual LEDs, but how can it be mounted so that only the faceplate is viewable with no exposed wires? It looks out of place in picture #3 if that will be where it is mounted. Also, although similar, I think this unit looks better in only one color of LCDs with blue backlighting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Digita...-80-300V-/281246459718?_trksid=p2054897.l5665

Dsinned said:
Pretty neat! Does the dual LCD take the place of the LEDs or can it just be mounted anywhere you like? How long is the wiring harness for the current sensor and AC voltage input? I assume it has to be mounted close to the J1772 charge port connector, but in the rear window area, next to the dual LEDs, how can the LCD module be mounted so that only the faceplate is viewable with no exposed wires? It looks out of place in picture #3 if that will be where it is mounted.

Picture number 3 is just comparing the meter to the original LED lights. It currently replaces the LED lights.

There are no exposed wires of any kind. The wires are exactly the length required. I do not intend to mount this any other place.

smkettner said:
Aren't those numbers generally known?
OK it is very cool, and how does it really help?

What numbers are generally known? The voltage and amperage? How would you know that without measuring? Heck, I've plugged into a lot of places and been surprised. Many Blinks are only 17 -24 amps... would you know which ones?

The difference between a 240 volt 40 amp charge (9.6kW, or about 5 - 5.5 hours) and a 202 volt 28 amp charge that my brother just found today (5.656kW, or 8.5 - 9 hours). So, he was able to drive to a more favorable charging location instead of wondering when the charge might be done.

I opened up the pull through connector on the Blink EVSE at the San Diego Zoo and verified that they are set at 24 amps. I guess I should put one on those in my RAV4. Is it bright enough to see in direct sunlight?

Tony:

I am in agrrement with some of the above comments:

1) The colors are garish. I'd prefer one color, possibly blue or green, but will leave it up to you to choose a sedate but viable color.
2) Keep the LED's

Have you decided on a price?

Who will do the install?

Will the unit put up with Bakersfield weather (106 in the shade and there is no shade)?

Mike

Will there be a way to not have this outward-facing? i.e. run it to the dashboard to mount in the cubby underneath the climate controls? If that's not an option, then perhaps placing it inward facing in the trunk compartment underneath the cargo cover mounts?

It's not so much a worry where I live now, but in Vancouver there are a large amount of car break-ins and something like that would probably look pretty valuable to a junkie.

I would think most of us would want the unit mounted in place of the flashing lights for the reasons Tony elaborated. An easy fix for your situation would be to install a small switch on the back of the unit that would shut the display off. That way you could look at the numbers when you wanted to, and then shut the unit off to dissuade any thieves.

If there is enough demand, a switch could be used to choose between LEDs only and LEDs plus display.

I would be satisfied with a unit sans switch.

There is definitely some usefulness in a local readout of AC voltage and current while charging. Some commercial EVSEs have this built in to the faceplate. I have seen this in ChargePoint EVSEs. However, others do not provide any such feedback. And the beauty of Tony's multimeter instrumentation is the voltage readout is at the load not the source end of the AC power supply. Thus, the line loss through the J1772 charging cable is already accounted for. Just multiply the two values on the display to get the actual power drawn by the car while charging.

Michael Bornstein said:
Have you decided on a price?

Who will do the install?

Will the unit put up with Bakersfield weather (106 in the shade and there is no shade)?

Mike

No price. I haven't even decided what exactly to offer!

This install should be easy enough for any somewhat handy person to install, but surely a Toyota or other car service center should be able to do.

Even stereo install shops.

Heat, I have no idea.

This is very cool for the obvious reasons stated by Tony previously. It helps when you're slamming the electrons in as fast as you can and need to see the ampacity or voltage where you are at.

We (Greg) did this on the Brusa/Leaf side which helped out greatly.... I kinda sense a bit of similarity in this same exact thing! ;)

I can't wait to watch it while plugged into DCQC :twisted:

TonyWilliams said:
This install should be easy enough for any somewhat handy person to install.

My local Toyota dealer has been told not to touch my car. :eek:

Can you install it at the same time as the JdeMO, or on one of your "rare" trips to an Orange County meeting? :D

Back