Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RAV4 EV soundsystem upgrade?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:38 pm 

I know this not likely a hot topic, but has anyone given thought to a sound system upgrade that would improve the sound but retain the stock headunit/NAV system? It would likely be speakers that would need upgrading but I'm not sure.

Post subject: Re: RAV4 EV soundsystem upgrade?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:04 pm 

swogee wrote:
I know this not likely a hot topic, but has anyone given thought to a sound system upgrade that would improve the sound but retain the stock headunit/NAV system? It would likely be speakers that would need upgrading but I'm not sure.

Look at the conventional rav4 forums. Plenty of people have done this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:24 am 

I upgraded my sound system within the first month - see my signature below for details. I also had the doors dynamatted for sound insulation and it cuts down quite a bit of road noise (together with changing out the OEM tires to Continentals -tire details below).

2016 Volt, 2011 Pleasureway Lexor RV, 3.2 DC KW Solar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:24 pm 

But are those amps running off the speaker level outputs or does the head unit provide line level outputs in the back? that would be sweet if they did!

How do you like those Focal's? I guess I should have listened to your car while were were all sitting there charging! :lol:

2014 Rav4 "SuperRav" JdeMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:33 pm 

LastEmp wrote:
I upgraded my sound system within the first month - see my signature below for details. I also had the doors dynamatted for sound insulation and it cuts down quite a bit of road noise (together with changing out the OEM tires to Continentals -tire details below).

Looks he is using a DSP to remix the speaker level outputs before the aftermarket amp. I have been researching on how to integrate an amp also but only thing I have found is the speaker level outputs on the JBL amp in the rear passenger side panel. If anyone has a line level output from the nav system I am all for it but it seems to be a digital connection to the amp/processor from JBL.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:55 am 

I was wondering if just speaker upgrade would help the sound?

An external amp and sub sound nice but more work/cost than I have time for.

I wasn't able to find a definite answer on rav4world if just a speaker upgrade would help the sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:47 pm 

swogee wrote:
I was wondering if just speaker upgrade would help the sound?

An external amp and sub sound nice but more work/cost than I have time for.

I wasn't able to find a definite answer on rav4world if just a speaker upgrade would help the sound.

I am not sure what the ohm rating on the stock speakers. I am guessing 2 ohm as the amp is so small. That would be a real worry if you put 4 ohm speakers when replacing the speakers, the amp may be pushed too hard. Also the tuning currently is done in the amp so each speaker is not getting processed signal to it which will sound wierd if the cross over points are not match to the speaker you are planning to install.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:29 am 

LastEmp, how much does it roughly cost to have the doors dynamatted for sound insulation? Who did it for you? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:01 am 

My unsophisticated understanding is that the Cleansweep digital signal processor connects to the factory head speaker outputs and strips away/removes the pre-set factory equalization to provide a "clean" signal to the 5 channel amplifier, which in turn provides signals/power to the 4 speakers and subwoofer. BTW, I also upgraded the rear speakers to Alpine SPS-610s and btw the Focals sound great, clear vocals and mid range with no distortion at higher volumes (note the door sound matting reduces reverberations). These Crutchfield links provide better explanations:
http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learni ... ideo2.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9vbxIKqbcu ... ssors.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BO6vjMunbh ... -rav4.html (note suggestion to replace stereo and not factory amplifier is probably more applicable to non-EV RAV4s without the integrated stereo/NAV touchscreen unit)

Regarding the question on most bang for the buck/least trouble audio upgrade, I can't speak firsthand since I had the complete upgrade done (although I went into the audio shop thinking ~$300 speaker upgrade was enough and walked out $1500 lighter lol). The RAV4 owner in the link below seemed to think the most bang for the buck is clearly upgrading speakers (esp. if you go with the Focals and sound deadening in the doors). The 4 speakers + noise dampening cost about $600 in my case. FYI, the amp was ~ $430, DSP ~ $220, subwoofer ~$120, labor ~$150 (including soundproofing). Bought the equipment and had it installed at Advanced Car Creations in Garden Grove (4.5 stars on Yelp) - they did a great job and were competitive with their pricing.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4 ... ement.html

2016 Volt, 2011 Pleasureway Lexor RV, 3.2 DC KW Solar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:02 pm 

Thanks for the links and the info.

I read the post about the speaker upgrade and I got the impression the op had a 2013 RAV4 which may be slightly different than ours in terms of the sound system components.

I think a speaker upgrade is my preferred route, but I need to do more research on cost and effectiveness.

It looks like in Europe they actually sell a JBL upgrade kit for the RAV4. It isn't cheap though.