Group Buy on "Powered by Tesla" License Plate Frames

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

Hello Everyone,

I am working with evplates.com on special pricing for a license plate frame for us.

I have a couple questions about what you guys want before I finalize this with evplates.com

Option A:
We could get this exact plate at a yet to be determined discount
http://www.evplates.com/Powered-By-Tesla-Specialty-EV-License-Plate-Frame_p_34.html#.VCB2YRYu-90

Option B: (my personal preference)
We could get this plate that says "100% electric" on top and "Powered by Tesla" on the bottom.
http://www.evplates.com/Black-With-White-Text-Electric-Vehicle-EV-License-Plate-Frame_p_12.html#.VCB2yBYu-90

VERDICT:
We are going with option B. Now, what is on the fence is whether or not we have "Tesla" in Tesla font or not. With Tesla font it is $15.99 plus shipping. Without it is $11.99 plus shipping. My vote is with but please tell me what you think.

Here is a list of people who want a plate with Tesla font
2 - Jimbo (me)
2 - dstjohn99
sqwalker
tjka4231
James
msheth
Graphicsgirl
amgdad

Were up to 10! Yay! I will contact the seller now. Its not too late if you want want one. I will post the coupon code here when they are ready to take our orders

Here is the plate frame. I think it looks awesome!!!
ED3BA9C7-C4C4-4A60-B9C7-33C782664DDD_zpsk8yxdioq.png

Final update: THE ITEM IS READY TO BE ORDERED. No coupon code is necessary. The seller sent me a link to this "hidden" item on their website. It is not visible on their site to anyone else. He designed and posted this plate frame just for us. 10 was the minimum but there is no maximum. If you want one buy it while its posted. Its not going to be a permanent product on their site.

http://www.evplates.com/Black-With-White-Text-100-Electric-Powered-By-Tesla_p_35.html#.VEUhLxZQ1-M

Final Final update: My plate frames arrived. Here is a photo.
7B0432C9-EE35-4A91-893F-83295FD0DD0C_zpssz1dzjvj.jpg

tjka4231 said:
I prefer Option B.

Cool, me too. I think there are a lot of drivers out there who have never heard of Tesla before and have no idea what "Powered by Tesla" means. I think more people will understand if it also says "100% Electric".

What are your thoughts about using the Tesla font or not?

jimbo69ny said:
tjka4231 said:
I prefer Option B.

Cool, me too. I think there are a lot of drivers out there who have never heard of Tesla before and have no idea what "Powered by Tesla" means. I think more people will understand if it also says "100% Electric".

The Tesla font does look nice and give it some distinction. Although if we want to save some cost, I can go without the Tesla font.

jimbo69ny said:
tjka4231 said:
I prefer Option B.

If I were you, I would also ask in the forum on http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/
Since it also uses the tesla batteries/drive train.
Bigger numbers == probably smaller prices ?!

I wont be using it on my rav4ev's ;-)

fromport said:
jimbo69ny said:
tjka4231 said:
I prefer Option B.

If I were you, I would also ask in the forum on http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/
Since it also uses the tesla batteries/drive train.
Bigger numbers == probably smaller prices ?!

I wont be using it on my rav4ev's ;-)

Thanks. If I have time I will sign up and post there too. I am not currently a member on that site so if someone else is they are welcome to post for us.

Out of curiosity, why not put one on your rav? Already have something else? What if we only needed ONE MORE person to get to the next pricing tier? ;-)

jimbo69ny said:
Thanks. If I have time I will sign up and post there too. I am not currently a member on that site so if someone else is they are welcome to post for us.

Out of curiosity, why not put one on your rav? Already have something else? What if we only needed ONE MORE person to get to the next pricing tier? ;-)

Nah, I took all decals off mine.
Only thing that reveals it's an EV is the blue 4 on the back.

I just bought a second rav4ev.
Too much fun.

fromport said:
jimbo69ny said:

Nah, I took all decals off mine.
Only thing that reveals it's an EV is the blue 4 on the back.

I just bought a second rav4ev.
Too much fun.
You just bought a second one? Thats awesome. Ive only had mine for 2 days and I already want to buy another one. I worry because if some idiot ever hits me and totals this car I will never be able to have another one. :/

This is getting off topic but make sure you list the second one on our spreadsheet. :)

Back to the topic at hand.

I asked them to let me know what the price difference of Tesla font vs non Tesla font. I told him we would prefer the Tesla font unless its a substantial price difference. I also told him wed like to go with option B.

I love the frame, but I've had it for 16 months and it's faded. This is the white on black one in case you can't tell. I haven't raised the issue with EVplates yet, so I don't know if they have changed the materials since then or if they will replace mine. Just FYI.

RAV_PBT_Frame_sm.jpg

miimura said:
I love the frame, but I've had it for 16 months and it's faded. This is the white on black one in case you can't tell. I haven't raised the issue with EVplates yet, so I don't know if they have changed the materials since then or if they will replace mine. Just FYI.

RAVPBTFrame_sm_zpse80c0e3c.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I don't feel so bad that mine had cracked and I had to throw it away. However, when it was new, the black didn't have a deep black look and it was pretty clear it would eventually fade. I say save your money if you're planning on getting one.

From evaluates.com

"For a minimum of 10 orders, we can offer you a price of $15.99 per plate frame (plus shipping) for the frames that use the TESLA font. For a frame that doesn't use the TESLA font, we can offer those to you for $11.99 each (plus shipping). One caveat... it will make things a LOT easier on our end if there is a general consensus among your group on which frame is purchased, so that we only have to do one redesign, rather than multiple redesigns."

What do you think? I'm all for the tesla font version for $15.99. But I can honestly go either way

based on that photo of the faded one above, i think i'd rather just get a metal plate from Tesla. Count me out of the group buy on these.

If you want to protect them from the sun's UV rays, rub some 303 Protectant on them about every 2 or 3 months. I use it on my naked carbon fiber bike frame and haven't had any yellowing of the resin in 12 years and 45,000 miles.

Newest message from seller
"Jim, no one has brought any of these issues to our attention. The only thing I can say is that we purchase the "blanks" (the white plastic frame) from a manufacturer who supplies them for just about everyone in the sublimation industry who creates custom plastic license plate frames. We do not know whether or not they have changed their formula for creating them or not.

We personally use the plate frames on our own personal cars and we have not experienced these issues. However, our cars are not exposed to the sun all day long and that might be a factor in any fade-related issues. But again, since this is the first we've heard of anything, we're hard pressed to make any comments or judgements about quality issues."

Who still wants to move forward? I am going to start a list of people who want one in the first post.

I just heard back from the evplates. They need 10 orders in order to give us the deal. They are actually going to give us an online coupon code that we can use. That way no one has to deal with receiving all of them and shipping them to each of us.

So far we have 5 plate frames sold (names are in the first post. If you have changed your mind let me know asap!). We need at least 5 more takers. Are you interested?

Here is what they just told me.
"Jim, thanks for your reply. For a minimum of 10 orders, we can offer you a price of $15.99 per plate frame (plus shipping) for the frames that use the TESLA font. For a frame that doesn't use the TESLA font, we can offer those to you for $11.99 each (plus shipping). The non-TESLA-font frames would have all the text in the same font as seen in the frame example images on our website.

Since these would be custom-made frames, we won't do the artwork for the design until you've got your 10 people lined up and ready to go. Then we'll do the artwork for whichever frame type you decide upon (with font or without font), send a copy over for your approval, and then make the frames all at once. We'll give you the coupon code and your people can then submit their orders.

Thanks again for your interest in our product and let us know once you've got 10 people ready to go and we'll get started"

james said:
I'm Good for Option B too

QTY 1

thanks for putting this together

James

Thats great. Welcome to the forum James. Dont forget to complete our Rav EV owners survey so we can add you to our spreadsheet.

Here is the link.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1300

Ill add you to the list of plate frame buyers now.

Thanks!

Back