DIY Universal "Open Source" L1/L2 EVSE

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsinned

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

This website has all the details of a $155 device that can be used to retrofit our OEM charge cords. It is based on a do-it-yourself OpenEVSE project apparently convieved by a very knowledgeable guy named Chris Howell. From all the info on this website, it looks like one of the most economical ways to convert an existing 120V only OEM charge cord to supports both L1 and L2 charging, univerally compatible with either a 120V or 240Vac power source.

I'm sure there are some of us here very interested in converting our RAV4 EV's OEM charge cord to a more useful, yet still portable (take it with you in the car) device. Of course, the actual cord "as is" of our OEM chargers is limited to 12A, but with the input voltage is bumped up to 240V, and a input cord adapter suitable for plugging in to a commonly available 240Vac receptable, such as an electric clothes drier, we can effectively double the charging rate.

Anybody tried this already on any EVs?

Comments?

Dsinned said:
This website has all the details of a $155 device that can be used to retrofit our OEM charge cords. It is based on a do-it-yourself OpenEVSE ....

Anybody tried this already on any EVs?

I don't think you'll get the current Panasonic EVSE modified for $155. I have built an Open EVSE, and rebuilt a Clipper Creek, in addition to having three separate Panasonic portable EVSEs modified to 240 volt.

To build a 40 amp capable Open EVSE is about $500-$600.

Back