JAMP JR from Quick Charge Power - 40 amps, low cost

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Coming March 1, 2015

240 volts, 40 amps, NEMA 14-50 plug, 25 foot long "ultra-flexible" cord

What's a good price point for this?

imagejpg1-9.jpg

Is it bare bones (LEDs and a connector), or does it have any premium features (display, logging, wi-fi)?
Will it be made for indoor use only, or capable of being mounted outside?

Kohler Controller said:
Is it bare bones (LEDs and a connector), or does it have any premium features (display, logging, wi-fi)?
Will it be made for indoor use only, or capable of being mounted outside?

Bare bones, mount outside or inside.

One LED light to indicate status.

Premium components.

TonyWilliams said:
Coming March 1, 2015
240 volts, 40 amps, NEMA 14-50 plug, 25 foot long "ultra-flexible" cord
Bare bones, mount outside or inside.
One LED light to indicate status.
Premium components.

My $0.02 : between $450-$550.
'KISS evse: up to 40 amp
Fits anything up to tesla based onboard chargers.
Needs dedicated 50 amp breaker circuit'

/me ducks ;-)

What's a good price point for this?

What will the enclosure be rated for? NEMA 4 or 3R.
Will you be getting it UL or ETL listed?
Any chance you'll ask Toyota to add your charger to the list of "approved" Rav4 level 2 chargers?

Comparables:

The Toyota approved, NEMA 4, UL listed, 40A Leviton EVSE retails for $899.
ClipperCreek makes a NEMA 4, ETL listed, 48A EVSE for the same price.

ClipperCreek's NEMA 4, ETL listed, 32A EVSE retails for $590

EMW JuiceBox EV Basic, "Weather-resistant", 40-60A EVSE is around $499
ClipperCreek's entry low-cost NEMA 4, ETL listed, 15A EVSE retails for $395

JAMP JR pricing summary (assuming NEMA 3R/4 rating and UL/ETL listed):
<$395 : why buy anything else?
$395 - $499 : disruptive to the big brands
$499 - $590 : mainstream consumer price range
$590 - $899 : niche product for the right customer (10 kW charging, non-Tesla)
>$899 : not interesting

Breakdown:

If you are getting the device listed and have a NEMA 4 rated enclosure a price between $590 - $899 seems reasonable.
Without being listed, I'd think you'd need to be in the $499 or less range.
If you could be priced $499 or less with an outdoor enclosure rating and UL/ETL listing, you'd have a very disruptive product. :)

However, if your price is much above $590 your limiting yourself to Rav4 and B-class owners who get value out of having a larger than 32A EVSE. There won't be many more new Rav4 EV, so you'd really be left with B-class owners until you came out with the dual charger mod for the Rav4 EV. :)
The next OEM car charging around 10kW would probably be the 200mi+ 2017 Chevy Bolt (not Volt).

If you were around or under $590, you'd be competitive offering for more vehicle owners and would probably get selected the just for having the largest Amp rating in the price range for "the next car."

Personally, I went through EVSE selection twice last year - once for my Rav4 EV and once for a family friend's LEAF (6.6kW charger on-board).
I went with the Leviton for the Toyota approval, charge time (40A), and NEMA 4 for mounting outdoors. I pulled the trigger when found it on sale from amazon warehouse for ~$700.
The family friend went for the 15A ClipperCreek for the lowest cost NEMA 4 rated model for outdoor install. He figured he'd be plugged in all night so the charge time mattered less.
In both these cases, there was not a garage option, so the enclosure rating mattered more.

Hope this helps you dial in on a price!

Chargepoint is now coming out with a home version that is very small. No word yet on pricing or current rating.

https://transportevolved.com/2015/01/08/ces-2015-charge-point-unveils-smart-charging-station-smartphone-nest-connectivity/

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096126_chargepoint-to-release-home-charging-station-for-electric-cars

For reference Clipper Creek's 32A version cost $644 according to their website.

Leviton offers 40A and is $900.

JuiceBox basic 40A is $499.
JuiceBox Premium 40A is $756.

OpenEVSE 40A is $450 for parts only (assembly required).

Sub $500 would be nice.

If it was inexpensive (around $500) I would consider getting a second EVSE @ 40 amps to keep in the car.

That would give you a larger market of existing owners.

kiwiguy said:
Would it only work at 40 amps with the RAV4 EV?
Can the current be dialed down (like the JESLA)?

Well, it will work with any J1772 car.

Any car that has less than 40 amps will do just that. Cars that pull over 40 amps will be restricted to that.

The actual unit will not be adjustable. You simply plug it into a 50 amp wall socket.

Back