J1772 test box / simulator

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromport

I used an (older version of) the openevse simulator
http://store.openevse.com/products/ev-simulator-kit
a nema 14-50 receptacle and J1772 inlet of quickchargepower and volt/amp meter of ebay to build a J1772 test box.

used a 6x6x4 box from homedepot
j1772_inlet.jpg

J1772 inlet

nema14-50_outlet.jpg

Nema 14-50 outlet

not_connected.jpg

position 1: Hooked up but not "connected"

ev_connected.jpg

position 2: ev connected

ev_charging.jpg

position 3: charging, relay of the evse comes on and powers the volt/amp meter

vent_required.jpg

position 4: vent required
With li-on batteries used in EV's this is normally never needed (sealed batteries)
but with lead acid it might be a valid condition.

diode_check_error.jpg

position 5: diode check engaged

I can also use the j1772 cable in my home now as a (rather expensive) 240 volt extension cable ;-)

I received a bunch of electronics yesterday, so up to the next project

I did not want to spend the extra money on the J1772 socket so my two simulators have clip leads nd they depend on a knowledgeable user.

I dis use a socket on my second version of my load tester. It is almost the same as my first version except it used two variable heaters instead of a fixed 4800W heater and a 3K, 4K, 5K heater. I now use 2 variable heaters for 3K to 10K loads.

GlennD said:
I did not want to spend the extra money on the J1772 socket so my two simulators have clip leads nd they depend on a knowledgeable user.

:twisted:

I dis use a socket on my second version of my load tester. It is almost the same as my first version except it used two variable heaters instead of a fixed 4800W heater and a 3K, 4K, 5K heater. I now use 2 variable heaters for 3K to 10K loads.

Wow that is impressive !
very nice !

Back