Hood Struts add-on

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kohler Controller

I put mine on last weekend. Oh so simple and super smooth operation.

Mod. Note: Here are links to two sources for these kits...
http://sokietech.com/shop-by-brands/toyota/09-12-toyota-rav4-black-color-gas-hood-shock-damper-kit.html
http://www.redlinetuning.com/product-p/21-27006-01.htm

I don't know how that redline link got added to my post, but those are not the ones I purchased.

drmanny3 sent me to this link.

http://sokietech.com/shop-by-brands/toyota/09-12-toyota-rav4-black-color-gas-hood-shock-damper-kit.html

These are the ones I installed that only required a 10 and 12 mm (I think) socket.

Instructions:
Remove bolt near end of hood rubber seal, install included bracket. Install new bolt (included) which is longer than original to compensate for the thickness of the bracket.
Remove upper bolt of hood hinge, install included bracket. Reinstall bolt and tighten.
Clip gas struts onto knobs of each bracket.
Done!

Yes, the Sokietech Struts do not require any drilling and were up and running in no time. They do the job. I just wish I could get them for a couple of other cars.
Manny

Tony did you ever install that device that allows access to the navigation while driving? That is still a mod I want to pursue. I just purchased (Leased) a new Kia Soul EV this weekend. Nice car (I found your distance test conducted last year). While not the distance of the Rav4EV my lease is half the cost, so it kind of makes up a bit. They included a fast charger hookup which is nice. Also the Navigation works while you drive. That is a nice feature.
Manny

I recently installed the same Hood struts from Sokietech. Easy to install. Took me about 10 mins.

Kohler Controller said:
I don't know how that redline link got added to my post, but those are not the ones I purchased.

drmanny3 sent me to this link.

These are the ones I installed that only required a 10 and 12 mm (I think) socket.

Instructions:
Remove bolt near end of hood rubber seal, install included bracket. Install new bolt (included) which is longer than original to compensate for the thickness of the bracket.
Remove upper bolt of hood hinge, install included bracket. Reinstall bolt and tighten.
Clip gas struts onto knobs of each bracket.
Done!

I'm the guilty party... I started a new thread devoted to the hood struts, and used the only link that I knew of. Thanks for clarifying.

drmanny3 said:
Yes, the Sokietech Struts do not require any drilling and were up and running in no time. They do the job. I just wish I could get them for a couple of other cars.
Manny

I'm not sure I like that high angle of leverage on the "no drill" version. I think I'll stick with the other method.

Why is it important not to drill?

No other reason then they were very straightforward in installing. Drilling is not so much an issue if you have good tools and a steady hand. I think some of the folks are less enthusiastic about making changes they cannot get out of. And of course if your hand slips and the drill walks.... I do not open the hood very often and cannot talk to how robust the design is. I thought that the bolts were secure enough to not be a problem. I don't see any movement when I open the hood. That hood is really heavy and/or angled in such a way to feel really heavy.
Manny

drmanny3 said:
No other reason then they were very straightforward in installing. Drilling is not so much an issue if you have good tools and a steady hand. I think some of the folks are less enthusiastic about making changes they cannot get out of. And of course if your hand slips and the drill walks.... I do not open the hood very often and cannot talk to how robust the design is. I thought that the bolts were secure enough to not be a problem. I don't see any movement when I open the hood. That hood is really heavy and/or angled in such a way to feel really heavy.
Manny

The hood is heavy and relatively easy to bend.

Look at all the leverage you have on that mounting point. It has nothing to do with bolt strength.

miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:
It opens a new path to corrosion.
I can see those in other states being concerned. California doesn't get enough rain to worry about corrosion, unless you live on the beach and them you are dealing with salt too.

pchilds said:
miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:
It opens a new path to corrosion.
I can see those in other states being concerned. California doesn't get enough rain to worry about corrosion, unless you live on the beach and them you are dealing with salt too.
Indeed. My RAV4 will eventually migrate to BC where it'll spend most of it's time within a few blocks of the ocean but will be exposed to snow (and possibly salted roads) in addition to near-perpetual rain.

But most importantly for me I'm not the handiest with a drill.

Returned the redline struts that required drilling. I now have ordered the Sokietech carbon fiber gas shooks from Taiwan thru Ebay

Back