Longer Range Battery / Extra battery

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

I have a source of batteries that come in 18kWh modules.

They can also be heated / cooled, just like the current RAV4 EV, and they are cylindrical 18650 cells. Each module is 42.5" x 18" x 8".

The problems with this are as follows:

1) maximum voltage is a little below what the current pack is (90 in series instead of 92)

2) need to develop a BMS for the pack (Orion?)

3) need to add heating / cooling

4) need to develop mount

With about 70kWh usable onboard (two 18kWh packs) with the following ground speeds, and a composite 40kW charger rate to fill 50kWh useable each time requires 1.25 hrs at a CHAdeMO station.

Optimal speed is 75mph for lowest time traveled with 80% SOC charges, and traveling at 90-95% of the available range:

55mph - 4.0 miles/kWh * 70kWh = 280 miles @ 70% = 196 / 55mph = 3.6 hrs + 1.25 = 4.85hr = 40.4mph

65mph - 3.4 miles/kWh * 70kWh = 238 miles @ 70% = 166 / 65mph = 2.7 hrs + 1.25 = 3.95hr = 42.0mph

75mph - 2.7 miles/kWh * 70kWh = 189 miles @ 70% = 132 / 75mph = 1.7 hrs + 1.25 = 2.95hr = 44.7mph

85mph - 2.0 miles/kWh * 70kWh = 140 miles @ 70% = 98 / 85mph = 1.2 hrs + 1.25 = 2.45hr = 40.0mph

In a nutshell, two packs are proposed:

$12,000 rough estimate - 18kWh / 15kWh usable
$21,000 rough estimate - 36kWh / 30kWh usable

One 18kWh module will fit entirely in the third row footwell (the footwell must be cut out). The floor of the trunk would remain flat.

The second module would fit directly on top of the first module, raising the trunk floor by approximately 9".

All heaters / air conditioning compressors can fit in the rear corners.

Going forward to the front on the vehicle would be:

1) two DC cables tied to the main traction battery
2) isolation relay to separate the two packs
3) air conditioning high pressure lines to the additional radiator in the front
4) 12 volt power for the battery heater
5) 12 volt power for BMS

I think you are forgetting the 40+ kWh battery that you currently have. I believe Tony is talking about add-ons, not replacements (or am I off base?)

I'm loving this! Sure hope you can figure out the missing pieces. And is this something you're seriously considering, or just musing over?

Where are you thinking of mounting these?

What is optimal speed with a jesla 40 amp level 2 charger, since 75 or 85 mph is not legal anywhere on public roads in California.

How much would the additional battery packs weigh? (A very rough calculation estimates that the weight would be 495 lbs based on 36 kWh and 160 Wh/kg.) While I like the idea of additional range I am curious as to how the additional weight of the battery packs would affect the vehicle's handling/dynamics (acceleration and braking).

I think it would be great if sometime in the future the main battery pack could be upgraded with improved cells, but the chance of that is slim to none.

Also what would the cost of the additional battery packs be?

Self leveling rear air suspension would be a nice addition to handle the extra weight of an extra battery pack. Either that or just higher rate coils at the rear. The RAV4 EV already has so little specified load capacity that I'm wondering how they arrived at that number.

I have no cost estimates or timeframes. At this point, it is a design exercise.

I think we could add two more parallel cell groups in series to each module to solve the voltage mismatch (or limit the RAV4 EV charge to about 375 volts, instead of 382-386 max).

The heating / cooling will likely be separate from the existing system. We'll just put the radiator in front of the existing one.

It could be charged from a single JdeMO, or an optional dual JdeMO to charge both.

TonyWilliams said:

I think we could add two more parallel cell groups in series to each module to solve the voltage mismatch (or limit the RAV4 EV charge to about 375 volts, instead of 382-386 max).

The heating / cooling will likely be separate from the existing system. We'll just put the radiator in front of the existing one.

It could be charged from a single JdeMO, or an optional dual JdeMO to charge both.
Sounds very cool... but please don't forget about us remaining JdeMO installs!
It's been a long wait... and would've been useful yesterday.

Incredulocious said:
TonyWilliams said:

Sounds very cool... but please don't forget about us remaining JdeMO installs!
It's been a long wait... and would've been useful yesterday.

I have to second that. The additional batteries sound interesting but it sure would have been nice to have the JdeMO on my RAV4 EV this last week. Currently I have a 3 hour layover in Salinas when I travel up to the SF Bay Area and back. I was hoping at this point the JdeMO would have been installed and usable. There's even a new L3 charging station in SLO to test out the JdeMO.

TonyWilliams said:
I have a source of batteries that come in 18kWh modules.

They can also be heated / cooled, just like the current RAV4 EV, and they are cylindrical 18650 cells. Each module is 42.5" x 18" x 8".

The problems with this are as follows:

1) maximum voltage is a little below what the current pack is (90 in series instead of 92)

2) need to develop a BMS for the pack (Orion?)

3) need to add heating / cooling

4) need to develop mount
Yay! I was hoping that this would come soon and that it's being done by my San Diego friend is a real treat! (Despite my preference for open source projects in the EV community). Developing a BMS as well as heating and cooling are musts that others who have added batteries to the Rav4 haven't done. Kudos for approaching it the right way!

It looks like you have a ready made customer base for the battery upgrade. I would guess that everyone that has purchased a JdeMO will want one.

What about the tires? Will the stock rear tires support the additional load or will we have to get tires with a higher load rating. Will this involve changing the rims?

How much will the carrying capacity of the car be reduced? (I rarely carry more than four adults, but that can be 1000 pounds for some people :twisted: )

Yes. Count me in. With a J-Pack (??Guessing at product name here) we'll have to consider changing the name of our cars to the Jav4 EV.

Back