VFD 40A OpenEVSE with RTC for sale

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

I have been using this front panel with my OpenEVSE. Recently there has been a LCD 4 function meter appearing on eBay. I decided to convert my EVSE to try the new display.

I made up a complete OpenEVSE to sell a complete unit. This is a 40A unit with a brand new Quick Charge Power J1772 cable. The input cable is a 50A range cable with a molded 14-50P plug. Power is protected by a MOV board with 3 GE 275-40 movs and fuse protection. This unit has a VFD display with an added RGB led. The display also has a RTC chip for real time delayed charging. The OpenEVSE board is a DIY version 2 unit with an external power supply. Power is switched with a Semans 63A 240V contactor controlled by a 12V relay module. The select button is a green lighted type.

This unit has version 3.10.3 firmware loaded with the RTC and menu enabled. The unit has an external power supply since the stock unit Chris uses does not have enough current for the VFD display. The vacuum floresent display is really cool but it draws more current than the LCD normally used.

I am selling this unit for $429 plus $25 if I ship the unit. Local pickup in Anaheim near Disneyland is available. This unit is sold ASIS but I guarantee it will function upon receipt.

Payment is cash for local pickup or Paypal if I ship the unit. With local pickup I can demo the unit.

I toyed with the idea of selling the unit without the J1772 cable for $350 but most people want a fully functioning unit so I added a brand new cable from eBay for $155 plus $15 shipping to me. It can charge any J1772 unit up to 40A at 240V.

The problem Glenn is that every unit you build looks nicer and has more features than the one before :eek: !

If anyone wants to buy my unit (about a year old and never used) for $300, I will get Glenn's new unit. :lol: It has similar cabling but only an LCD display of voltage and current. It is also rated at 40A continuous,

Michael Bornstein said:
BTW Glenn, will this unit do 120V or is it 240V only?

(my older unit does both)
He quotes a Siemens 240V contactor, so it is 240Volt only

Not necessarily. If it has a 240V winding, some will fire at 120V (although not necessarily consistently). On my system, the relay works at 12V from the power supply.

Michael Bornstein said:
Not necessarily. If it has a 240V winding, some will fire at 120V (although not necessarily consistently). On my system, the relay works at 12V from the power supply.

In my experience you don't want to pull 40 amps through a contactor that only has half it's operating voltage pulling the contacts in.
I am pretty sure it works great with 208V though. _I_ would not use, even if it would "stick" on 120V. Asking for troubles

*UPDATE*

I think Glenn is using a 42DF35AGP contactor

According to the specs:
Coil Voltage: 208-240V 60Hz
190-220V 50Hz

I HIT THE WRONG KEY AND LOST MY REPLY.

Basically this is my old front panel on a new OpenEVSE lower unit. Since it was mine it has a $6 lighted button vs a $1 non lighted one.

The unit I made for Mike used a 12V RELAY LIKE THE ONE USED IN THE juiceBox. It is a 12V relay rated for 80A (right). It is certainly good for 40A but that is about it. I have found Chinese ratings are inflated but 2 thirds is usually usable. I wasted money on alleged .5A power supplies. The 1A ones work fine.

Mike, on your old EVSE we can update the metering. All of the eBay Chinese meters are less than $20 shipped. There is no reason for a new EVSE. The one I am now using was $16.88 shipped. It is nice to have power and KWH in addition to voltage and current.

So far, I have had no failures but it would be nice if they had zero crossing detectors. Oh well, I guess it averages out.

I went to a VFD for a display but that is a non-essential fifty dollars more. It does really look cool but functionally it is wasted money.

Back