Roof Top Cargo Box

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgblair

Has anyone installed a roof top cargo box? Once our JdeMo gets installed, we will be traveling with three large dogs and may need the extra cargo space. I am concerned, of course, with the effect on range as well as quality and ease of installation. Any suggestions for our RAV?

John
John Blair

I would strongly suggest using a swing away hitch mounted cargo box that would still allow the rear tailgate to open for easy access. The first link below is for a cargo a box I am considering using for long trips. Black is available as well. It will add additional weight to the RAV4 EV which will slow your acceleration times and increase the amount of energy used when traveling up hills or long grades but it's far better than the constant drag that would be added by a roof top box. The second link is to a video that shows that the cargo box will clear the barn doors on a van when it is swung out of the way.

https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-white
https://youtu.be/Vy5hcJtsP3k

Thanks for the suggestion and links. A rear cargo box would be handy for access as well as the fact that it will swing out of the way to get the rear door open. Has anyone tried one on our RAV's? I would be curious as to the effect on aerodynamics of a rear box compared to a rooftop box. Also I would be concerned about the changes in handling once you put weight that far behind the rear axle.

John

jgblair said:
Thanks for the suggestion and links. A rear cargo box would be handy for access as well as the fact that it will swing out of the way to get the rear door open. Has anyone tried one on our RAV's? I would be curious as to the effect on aerodynamics of a rear box compared to a rooftop box. Also I would be concerned about the changes in handling once you put weight that far behind the rear axle.

John

For aerodynamics, the rear location is nearly perfect. The roof is one of the WORST locations for drag. Look at the wing of an airplane. When it lands, all those gizmos pop out of the top of the wing. Why? To provide maximum drag and minimum lift.

The roof is the "top of the wing" as far as the car goes.

Thanks Tony. I appreciate your insight. Has anyone run a box on the back of one of our RAV's? I have been searching and haven't found anyone yet. As it turns out, I already have one of those aluminum hitch-mount cargo carriers from Harbor Freight. Now I just need to get a $60 Rolabag from Amazon and, of course, a trailer hitch on the RAV. I can use that for awhile and if I like using it, I can get one of those swing-away boxes. I saw the sticky thread about the trailer hitch and will read through to find the correct hitch to order. It is a good project to work on while I wait for the JdeMo.

I use the Harbor Freight one all the time.

Mine is not aluminum, though; mine is made out of steel. I don't think it cost more than about $60.

It's low enough that if you don't have a very high load you can still open the rear door. I just hauled filthy dirty surfboards on it last weekend.

I was wondering if the door would clear if the cargo carrier was empty. It looked like it probably would. I just need to find the right tow hitch to mount on the RAV and then I will know for sure.

John

ps: Tony, where are the pictures of your cargo carrier filled with dirty surfboards? That sounds like an interesting image!

Darn. Well, maybe next time? I love looking at photos of how people use their vehicle. It gives me ideas on how I can use mine better.

John

Back