Moving the current motor to the back? (RWD MOD)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

So I asked a question before about adding an extra motor to the rear wheels and from the responses it sounded like a complicated process. Here is another question: Would moving the already present motor to the back be an easier project? I'm going to go out on a limb here and just wonder if it would be easier in terms of 'lengthening the current connections' to the back? What kind of issues would we run into? There is the whole parking 'pawl' to deal with, but could get moved along with the motor. Essentially the whole same set up... but behind as RWD. No need for additional connections or controllers (I'd think?). Not sure how much extra space that would take in the back though....

I was also going to ask a bout the maximum power draw from the battery. If the present motor is already close to drawing the full power then two motors would seem out of the question unless... we could get a bigger battery pack? I don't know how much extra power is available for a seconday motor. I believe the amount of power you can draw is in relation to the total size of the pack? Or is it arrangement of the cells inside?

Oh and I think the main down side to moving the motor from the front to the back is that the regen will not be as good. From what I recall a motor on the front is better for regen than in the back. Same issue because of the weight transfer when you brake?

cashcow said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just wonder if it would be easier in terms of 'lengthening the current connections' to the back?

That's easy. It's just wires and cables, plus some cooling lines.

What kind of issues would we run into?

Plenty of surprises, I'm sure!

There is the whole parking 'pawl' to deal with, but could get moved along with the motor.

The parking pawl is integrated into the gear box.

Essentially the whole same set up... but behind as RWD. No need for additional connections or controllers (I'd think?). Not sure how much extra space that would take in the back though....

I'm confident that it would fit, but why not just get a second motor out of a Model S? Or any of the several aftermarket automotive EV drive motors?

I was also going to ask a bout the maximum power draw from the battery. If the present motor is already close to drawing the full power then two motors would seem out of the question unless... we could get a bigger battery pack?

The total power would be divided into two motors. If 570 amps is that number, then 300-400 amps would go to the rear motor with heavy acceleration, and 100-200 to the front motor.

During cruise, the front motor might pull 100 amps or less, while the rear motor free wheels.

I don't know how much extra power is available for a seconday motor. I believe the amount of power you can draw is in relation to the total size of the pack? Or is it arrangement of the cells inside?

The battery currently is limited to about 530 amps. If increasing power through the battery is increased, the inverter likely needs an upgrade.

Oh and I think the main down side to moving the motor from the front to the back is that the regen will not be as good. From what I recall a motor on the front is better for regen than in the back. Same issue because of the weight transfer when you brake?

I can't imagine that the same 120 amps of regen can't be done from either axle, or both.

Back