Navigation Lock-out Disable

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

I find it very irritating that you cannot use the nav unit while driving. I think there is a sensor that locks most functionality if moving. Even if I have a passenger, I must pull over to interact with the nav unit. Does anyone have a solution that works. These guys sell one for $310: http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

It is for the ICE version of the RAV4 so don't know if it will work with ours. That is pricey, but it drives me crazy that you cannot use the navigation unit while moving. Does anyone know of any other options?

Taking delivery of my car this saturday. I will patiently await someone posting that top4runners module works in the RAV4 EV.

I am also very interested.

I put in an Overide on my Prius Plug in and would like the same thing for my Rav EV now.

TonyWilliams said:
Great documentation. I doubt that I would move the Sport button, but I would move the USB and perhaps use that space for a navigation speed sensor override button.

I would love a Nav overide. I had one in the Prius Plugin, but don't in the Rav and its a PITFA to have to stop just to look up a phone number or something simple where my passenger could type stuff in.

And incredible instructions, I will for sure be moving mine.

I have a Nav override installed and it works great. I purchased this one here, not cheap, but it works well with no extra buttons:

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=1188

To enable input on the screen (by my passenger), I press the volume down button twice, then volume up button twice on the steering wheel. The nav stops tracking your movement while inputing destination or other info. Then to disable the override, do the same again - volume down twice, volume up twice. I think it has a 5 minute timeout if you don't turn it off.

AltPowr said:
I have a Nav override installed and it works great. I purchased this one here, not cheap, but it works well with no extra buttons:

To enable input on the screen (by my passenger), I press the volume down button twice, then volume up button twice on the steering wheel. The nav stops tracking your movement while inputing destination or other info. Then to disable the override, do the same again - volume down twice, volume up twice. I think it has a 5 minute timeout if you don't turn it off.

Wowzers, that is a lot of money
I just ordered 10x 555 chip from ebay.
As soon as it arrives I will make my version of it and will post instructions on how to do it for about $25 in parts and some labor ;-)

fromport said:
AltPowr said:

As soon as it arrives I will make my version of it and will post instructions on how to do it for about $25 in parts and some labor ;-)

I'm afraid to look at the price now!

fromport said:

Hey it's all relative. We're talking about a $35K-$50K car, so $180 isn't that big of a deal. If you can get away with it for $25 and no extra buttons laying around, then that would be the better way to go.

Photo credit: Larry_in_Seattle

EB8BB4CE-E6EA-4F59-9BE1-97EEE443FFB9.jpg

Back