Could Volt's T shaped Battery fit inside Trans Tunnel?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

cardiagram.jpg

I've always wondered about just how much space is being used inside the RAV4 EV's Transmission tunnel. I believe it was sold in AWD and so there is some space in there where the trans should be, right? Anyway, I also wonder if there is any extra space left between the sandwiching of the Tesla battery and the floor of the RAV4 EV.

What do you guys think?

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks a little fat, but it was kind of built to live where the transmission tunnel would be, right?

In this case, the Chevy Volt battery was packaged in the volume previously used for the transmission (tunnel) and fuel tank.

Ok, so fuel tank space is taken too.... what happened to the fuel tank space in the rav4 ev? Is it that storage space on the back where you lift the plastic cover? Was that the gas tank?

Definitely no room for the Volt's entire battery pack underneath. There is a small amount of space in the transmission tunnel but most is taken up with wires and hoses.

There is 1-2 inches between the top of the battery and the bottom of the cabin, but not enough to get much into... fuel tank was where the battery is installed on the EV model.
Without going into the cabin, I don't think you could get even the small module in, definitely not the entire pack. Remember on the Volt, the pack intrudes into the passenger cabin substantially.

Best bet for battery expansion is the rear cargo space.

Edit: spelling

Hi Ph2

So the rear cargo space is not where the fuel tank used to be?

When you say wires and hoses in the trans tunnel I'd assume it is the High Voltage orange cables from the Tesla Battery pack? And the hoses are the cooling lines for the Tesla Battery pack?

I mean, I personally don't like the style and placement of the emergency brake in the rav4. I really like the Nissan Leaf Emergency brake. It was placed to the left side of the driver and you use your left foot to push/engage it. I really like that style of emergency brake. I would love to mod the emergency brake and get it out of the way. You have to jerk it hard to really engage it and the thumb push release /w a little lift is pretty bad. Same goes for the shifter! I'd prefer it to be up top on the dash like in a minivan or on top on the dash again but as buttons like press D B N R P etc. The little storage box next to the drive is nice... but, I could live with out it!

cargoarea241.jpg

cargoarea242.jpg

volt2.jpg

chevrolet-volt-battery.jpg

It looks like the transmission tunnel on the RAV4 EV tapers off really quickly from the motor compartment.... I don't think you'd be able to fit the T due to the way it tapers off... but... how about fitting a small pack like this one in the trans tunnel space? ... After hopefully moving some of the cable and hoses around in the smaller spaces:

http://hybridautocenter.com/HAC4/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=80&name=4kw-h-lithium-battery-pack-chevrolet-volt-88v-45ah-24-cells&Itemid=605

img_3103_825504994.jpg

It is from the volt!

Gas tank placement:
imgres

There was no spare tire on the Sport package and it carries over to the EV.

Yes, cooling hoses for the battery, HV wiring to/from battery and charger. There are also some other wires as well. You can get an idea of what amount of space is available if you can find some of Tony's JdeMO installation instructions.

A Volt module is about 10" high when fully stripped down so I still hesitate to agree that you could fit a module in front of the Rav4's battery pack in the car's stock state. Your best bet I think is to put it in the storage area in the rear of the vehicle.

There are some earlier threads on this forum that demonstrate additional battery packs could-be installed in the rear of the vehicle. I'm sure you could also move the parking brake lever with a little fabrication and ingenuity.

Back