JDapter Stub - Tesla Charge Station Adapter - Available now

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ev_Bob

Browsing reddit, it looks like the adapter that allows J1772 plug folks to use Tesla Destination chargers is available now :-D
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

Out of curiosity - I wonder why there is this note:
"NOTE 6: It is not recommended to use at over 264 volts on most EVs, except the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV and 2014 and newer Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e"

Followed by this:
"...Tesla AC charger stations have maximum capabilities as follows:

1) Wall Connector (HPWC) - 80 amps max / 208-240 volts only (19.2kW max, adjustable at installation from 12 amps to 80 amps)

2) Mobile Connector (UMC) - 40 amps max / 120-208-240 volts (9.6kW max, adjustable with interchangeable wall plugs from 12 to 40 amps)..."

If the Tesla AC charger stations cannot go beyond 240 volts, Note 6 shouldn't matter for this adapter?

The latest generation HPWC can be installed to 277VAC electrical service. The Model S and X can accept this voltage. Other EVs likely can't. That is the danger. The 277VAC service is from one phase of the 480VAC 3-phase service that is used by things like Superchargers and other DC Fast chargers. 277VAC is also used in some commercial lighting for the same reason, it's already there for other high consumption equipment and requires smaller wires to support the same load.

miimura said:
The latest generation HPWC can be installed to 277VAC electrical service. The Model S and X can accept this voltage. Other EVs likely can't. That is the danger. The 277VAC service is from one phase of the 480VAC 3-phase service that is used by things like Superchargers and other DC Fast chargers. 277VAC is also used in some commercial lighting for the same reason, it's already there for other high consumption equipment and requires smaller wires to support the same load.

Thanks!

I hope the newer HPWCs look alot different than the previous generation. Hopefully they'll include pictures of or how to identify which destination chargers/hpwcs to avoid for the other EVs.

i recently had the very first time i could've used this: a dual charger in Minden, Nevada which had a Tesla plug and a J1772 (which i used and charged the car at 8KW which is this highest i've ever seen on a "street" J1772 charger).

does this imply that if a Tesla destination charger is 277, that it *will work* without damage with the Rav4EV becuase its really a Tesla charger in the car?

n3ckf said:
i recently had the very first time i could've used this: a dual charger in Minden, Nevada which had a Tesla plug and a J1772 (which i used and charged the car at 8KW which is this highest i've ever seen on a "street" J1772 charger).

does this imply that if a Tesla destination charger is 277, that it *will work* without damage with the Rav4EV becuase its really a Tesla charger in the car?
Yes. People have done it. However, the charger will also limit to 10kW, so at 40 amps there's no point going above 250V because it will just reduce the amp draw.

See this thread: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1401&start=10

I shamelessly stole this post from another forum:

"Just now called charger technical support at 650-681-6133. The guy said they took the 277 Volt Wye configuration out of the manual because that's too close to the max of 282 Volts for Tesla on-board chargers. Presumably at 282 Volts, the charger will interrupt and go into a fault mode. Problem is, 277 Volts is less than 2% less than the failure-inducing max of 282 Volts, and line voltages can sometimes go up and down by that amount depending on daily loads. It's my understanding that the 282 Volt limit is really a good and safe margin for 240 Volts, providing a 15% margin. At my house we sometimes hit 252 Volts, so you can see you need a healthy margin."

"Bottom line appears to be that, yes, all Tesla's can charge at voltages up to 282 Volts, and will charge a little faster because the current is constant. But 277 Volts will charge only 15% faster than 240. Not worth it in my opinion."

"In fact, Tesla charger technical support recommends and "anti bucking transformer" if you need to use 277 Volts, to get it down to a Voltage that's less likely trigger a charger fault as line voltages vary from the nominal."

Hey Tony,
I just got one of these from you. It looks to be addressed here but I don't fully understand all the technicalities.
My friend has an 80amp tesla charger at his office. Can I plug it into my Rav4EV woth the Jdapter with relative saftey or not?

Golfpilot said:
Hey Tony,
I just got one of these from you. It looks to be addressed here but I don't fully understand all the technicalities.
My friend has an 80amp tesla charger at his office. Can I plug it into my Rav4EV woth the Jdapter with relative saftey or not?

Yes, perfectly safe.

Although I State a "40 amp limit", and that limit is real, there is exactly zero J1772 cars that can charge above 40 amps.

The pilot signal from the charge station won't change that.

Cool, I just wasn't sure if 80amps going into a 40amp onboard charger would fry it or something. I'm excited to get 10kw a hour!

Not saying it is something I would need, or want, but would a tesla to Chadmeo adapter work (if it existed) for the 80 amp chargers ( not supercharger) to get 20kw per hour?

Golfpilot said:
Cool, I just wasn't sure if 80amps going into a 40amp onboard charger would fry it or something. I'm excited to get 10kw a hour!

Not saying it is something I would need, or want, but would a tesla to Chadmeo adapter work (if it existed) for the 80 amp chargers ( not supercharger) to get 20kw per hour?

Assuming the Tesla HPWC has 250 volts available, and a pilot signal of 40 amps or more, you'll charge at 250v * 40a = 10kW.

Yes, if you had some "portable" 20kW CHAdeMO charger (they are out there), and it would accept single phase power, sure, you could charge at 20kW from an 80 amp HPWC.

The important distinction is that the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is just that, an adapter. It's not a "portable charger".

This is a portable CHAdeMO charger, albeit a poor one, only outputting 20 amps DC, so that's less than the Tesla on-board charger in the RAV. Portable CHAdeMO Quick Charger

This one is a little better at 40 amps DC, but about double the price. EVTV Portable CHAdeMO

Back