Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help locating a Contactor for my Leviton 40 amp charger
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:08 pm 

I have the Leviton EVB40-PST Evr-Green 400 EV charger, 40-Amp, Surface Mount, 25-Foot Cord, Requires 50Amp circuit. It has been making loud clicking noises during charging. I suspect the contactor is going bad? I have a part number from the unit HCC-2XU24GG291240/277 VAC 40 FLA 200 LRA . It is listed as a coil 208/240 VAC 50/60 HZ. I am having trouble locating a part. I find other listing but do not know if they will work. Can anyone tell me what part number might be equivalent?
Thanks,
Manny Fernandez, Jr.
drmanny3@cox.net

Great Pyrenees Frankie
SolarCity Solar Panels

Post subject: Re: Need help locating a Contactor for my Leviton 40 amp cha
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:37 pm 

Assuming that you have room this one will work.

https://store.openevse.com/products/pac ... il-50-60hz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:40 pm 

If it is not the contactor and it is out of warranty an OpenEVSE unit will work. I put one into an Aeroenvirement unit for a man with good results.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:45 am 

My Leviton unit originally purchased in 2013 went bad just before they introduced the EVR40 (made in China) model and they replaced the logic board with the later version because mine had blown an internal fuse. The later version did not have such a fuse. I initially didn't expect them to provide free service for my out of warranty unit so I bought the security Torx bit required to open it, but they fixed mine for free and all I paid was shipping to the San Diego area. I suspect that your logic board has gone bad, not the contactor. Based on other feedback, they are no longer providing service for the EVB40 model because they have moved the production offshore and are not maintaining supply of the old parts.

If mine failed today, I would open it up and test the contactor and logic board separately. The coil is 240V, so you can apply the steady voltage directly from the supply to see if it is stable in keeping the contactor closed. While it is disconnected from the logic board, you can check to see if the voltage that should go to the coil from the logic board is stable. However, it may behave differently under load.

A Google search for the beginning part of the part number you provided gave this web site:
https://hartlandcontrols.com/1-2-pole-c ... 20-40-fla/

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:02 pm 

I have now replaced the contactor three times. It works when first charging. Our Chevy Bolt has a 60kWh battery and charges at 32 amps. When I have a nearly empty battery is when I see that the Leviton starts having problems. Near the end of the charge is when you can hear the contacts fluttering. If I disconnect the charger and let it cool and then start charging again it works fine. So something is heating up and reduces power to the electromagnet on the contactor. Is there anything I can check on the circuit board to determine why it is failing after prolonged use? Or is this just a lost cause.
Manny

Great Pyrenees Frankie
SolarCity Solar Panels

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:07 pm 

Three times? I would move into a Clipper Creek.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:53 am 

I'm very happy with my OpenEVSE. I don't even use half the features it has. It just works; I like that.

You can build it yourself, or buy it pre-assembled.

OTOH, my Tesla Wall Connector is prettier and a lot less capable . . . except it'll do 48A where the OpenEVSE won't (due to the lack of a 48A J1772 nozzle, which is in the works but not currently available). I bought the WC for the M3. I don't really need the faster rate, but since I had to buy another EVSE anyway, and the WC is very fairly priced at $500, that's the way I went.

The cost of the 4 AWG N-B, OTOH, just about killed me.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:27 am 

asavage wrote:
I'm very happy with my OpenEVSE. I don't even use half the features it has. It just works; I like that.

You can build it yourself, or buy it pre-assembled.

OTOH, my Tesla Wall Connector is prettier and a lot less capable . . . except it'll do 48A where the OpenEVSE won't (due to the lack of a 48A J1772 nozzle, which is in the works but not currently available). I bought the WC for the M3. I don't really need the faster rate, but since I had to buy another EVSE anyway, and the WC is very fairly priced at $500, that's the way I went.

The cost of the 4 AWG N-B, OTOH, just about killed me.

Why did you have to buy another EVSE? We're just using the provided Mobile Connector to charge ours.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:19 pm 

miimura wrote:
Why did you have to buy another EVSE? We're just using the provided Mobile Connector to charge ours.

1) I want the MC to be in the vehicle when I need it.
2) I do not want to load/unload it every single time we park it in the garage.
3) I think the MC aftermarket wall hanger is ugly, and so does the primary driver of the M3.
4) The MC is limited to 32A; the car can be charged at 48A. Let's not argue about whether that's necessary. I bought a $60k car and I spent another $1k for the charging infrastructure to fully utilize the capability for the (very small number of) times I want to use it.
5) I've got to run wire for the MC, just like I do for the WC, so labor is a wash.

The MC is the minimum charging equipment requirement that Tesla had to provide to every purchaser, and that's fine for many people, but not for us.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 pm 

asavage wrote:
miimura wrote:

1) I want the MC to be in the vehicle when I need it.
2) I do not want to load/unload it every single time we park it in the garage.
3) I think the MC aftermarket wall hanger is ugly, and so does the primary driver of the M3.
4) The MC is limited to 32A; the car can be charged at 48A. Let's not argue about whether that's necessary. I bought a $60k car and I spent another $1k for the charging infrastructure to fully utilize the capability for the (very small number of) times I want to use it.
5) I've got to run wire for the MC, just like I do for the WC, so labor is a wash.

The MC is the minimum charging equipment requirement that Tesla had to provide to every purchaser, and that's fine for many people, but not for us.

Sure. All good reasons. Here's my reasoning.
1) The Model 3 replaced an e-Golf that was charging with a Jesla, so the 14-50 socket was already there.
2) The MC is included and has the button to open the charge port, so no way we were going to continue using the Jesla and a J1772 adapter every day.
3) We don't pack the MC when we travel with the Model 3. The range is so long and unless we are staying in a vacation rental, there's not going to be any sockets to plug into anyway. The J1772 adapter is always in the glove box.
4) 32A is sufficient for overnight charging.

If I got a Wall Connector for free from referrals or some other way, sure, I would install it. If I had to buy an EVSE, for example a Mobile Connector or a Wall Connector, I would buy the Wall Connector. However, since it was included, we are using the Mobile Connector. I was so confident that I would not be packing it for travel that I zip-tied the cord to the shelving between the outlet and where we hang the extra cord. If I ever did need a travel EVSE, I would just take the Jesla since I have accumulated a wider variety of plug adapters than I have for the Gen2 MC included with the Model 3. For that special case, using the J1772 adapter is no big deal.