Strange JLong extension failure

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incredulocious

I thought others on this forum might be interested in what just happened with my QuickChargePower JLong charging cord extension. Here's the email I just sent to QuickChargePower – Tony has already replied, "That is indeed strange!" and asked me to send both units back for repair:
--------------------

I’m writing because I woke this morning to a “charge interrupted” message from my Model 3. When I went out to the garage to investigate, I found that my JLong extension was disconnected from my Jesla charging cable. Charging would have started around 12:30 am and the interruption occurred after 2 am. The Stats app reported that about 13 kWh was added before the interruption.

I tried reconnecting the JLong extension but the Tesla wouldn’t even recognize it as present. Still a green light on the Jesla cable plugged into the wall. I then tried it on my girlfriend’s Model 3 with the same effect – like the charge cord is not there.

I noticed that the connection between the JLong and the Jesla seemed rather too easy to make (not snug at all). Well, upon closer inspection, I see that all of the connection pins on the JLong extension are now missing!

So, what the heck happened? Somehow the connection between the JLong and the Jesla cable blew apart during charging with some force and the pins went flying somewhere? I’ve looked around the garage now for the missing pins but so far I haven’t found them. I’ve verified that I’m able to plug the Jesla charging cable (without the JLong extension) into my RAV4EV just fine and it happily charges.

Anyway, obviously I’m in need of a repair or replacement for my JLong cable. Please advise.

jlong-missing-pins.jpg

jesla-connector.jpg

I'm guessing that the strain relief failed and the cable was pulled slightly out of the housing, pulling the pins backward into the body. It should be a relatively easy repair, but the strain relief should be strengthened.

miimura said:
I'm guessing that the strain relief failed and the cable was pulled slightly out of the housing, pulling the pins backward into the body. It should be a relatively easy repair, but the strain relief should be strengthened.
I didn’t see any sign of the cable having been pulled out and note that this connection between the JLong and the Jesla was (and always was) laying on the floor — never any force or strain pulling on the cable or the connection.

One thought is that the connection wasn’t fully latched and the connection at the pins got warm enough to push the connection further apart, making a poorer, smaller and thus hotter connection which eventually knocked them apart entirely to where I found them laying several inches apart. Could this have also explosively thrown the pins? Dunno. I look forward to hearing what Tony finds!

Back