Buying new tires...anyone done this already

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegerard

Hi all-
I'm looking to buy new tires.

The stock tires are pretty noisy and the tread life is only rated at 280 so my guess is they will last 15-20k miles.

Anyone have feedback on replacement tires. I was looking at Michelin Defenders since they worked well on a previous Honda Odyssey.

Thanks
Mike

Mike,
Wow - talk about driving the wheels off... :eek:
With a 'June delivery' I have limited RAV EV experience, but lots with tires, so a few observations:
Already noticed that the traction of the OEM Yokos isn't quite up to snuff (too easy to break loose on acceleration).
Noise, well, yes you can hear differences in pavement more than with some sneakers.
The 280 rating isn't too surprising - based on experience with OEM LRR tires. Not sure why, as intuition says lower rolling resistance should be harder and longer-wearing, but not what I've seen.
So, I'd be looking for better wet/dry traction, and an 'A' temperature rating which may be challenging in this size.
One tire I've been happy with on other vehicles (including hybrid, so sensitive to LRR character too) is the General Altimax.
Traction is good, and they are notably quiet. Good results with tirebuyer.com , FWIW.
Regards,
Pete Blizzard Pearl 2012

priuspete said:
Not sure why, as intuition says lower rolling resistance should be harder and longer-wearing, but not what I've seen.

These aren't Low Rolling Resistance tires. They are exactly the same all season Yokohama tires and same V6 Limited wheels used on the oil burner.

Toyota didn't spend one extra penny there.

Fair enough - and even more reason to seek a more optimal fitment going forward.
Some research with aforementioned objectives in mind, and reading of dozens of user reviews points toward the Nitto NT850 Plus CUV as a good choice -- rating 500-A-A means it will last about twice as long as the OEM tire, and have better traction.
Reviews indicate it will be quiet on various surfaces - and overall, Nitto has received other favorable mentions on that score as well.
Additional benefits include an improved weight rating, from 101 to 106, as well as a max cold inflation pressure of 50 psi.
Price is about $115 (delivered) for 'our' size.
Wish I could say "I've tried them", but when the factory sneakers wear thin, these will top my list of candidates.
Yes, tirebuyer.com carries them - usual disclaimers apply (no financial interest, just a happy Customer).
FWIW
Pete

In December, when I only had 2k on the car, I bought some Michelin Energy Saver A/S's and sold my Yokos for $200 on Craigslist. I have been happy with the Michelins.

Ampster said:
In December, when I only had 2k on the car, I bought some Michelin Energy Saver A/S's and sold my Yokos for $200 on Craigslist. I have been happy with the Michelins.

Did you notice any improvement in mileage with the Michelin Energy Savers?

I remember when I had to replace the Michelin's on my Camry Hybrid, they were out of Michelin's so I ended up getting some Continental "energy efficient" tires tires and it seemed like I lost about 4 mile per gallon immediately after that.

Did a bit more research, and posted more info on the "Tire Pressure" topic (no need to repeat here).
May change sooner rather than later, for improved traction and lower noise.
Pete 12 Blizzard Pearl, Naples, FL

Anyone considered changing up the tire size?

It would be interesting to perhaps fit it with a tire size that was one aspect ratio smaller. So instead of the stock 225/65/17, perhaps as 225/60/17 or 215/65/17.

A 225/60/17 would reduce the overall diameter of the tire from ~28.5" to ~27.5". This would effectively lower the car .5" as well as change the gearing by ~4%, and slightly reducing the weight of the wheel/tire package.

I'm making some crude assumptions, but lowering the car would should reduce the aero drag marginally. Increasing gearing in an ICE car would reduce some efficiency, but it may actually increase efficiency in an EV somewhat. The reduced overall diameter would slightly reduce top-speed, but would increase acceleration time.

TireRack.com has a H&R spring set specifically listed for the 2012 RAV4 [moderator edit: "EXCEPT RAV4 EV"] that will lower the car approximately 1.4" front and 1.3" rear. In my estimation, that will make the half-shafts just about straight. As-is the axle is lower than the transmission when the car is at rest. Unless you can get a technician to correct the speedo/odometer for the reduced tire size, I would go for the suspension change if the thing you really want is the car to be lower.

Wow, I'm surprised there's any RAV4 EV specific aftermarket parts, let alone lowering springs?!

So who will be the first :cool:

The same set of springs shows up on other 2012 RAV4 configurations like V6 FWD Sport. Also, I just noticed this manufacturer notation: "Excl. EV models." Sorry about that.

I wonder if the springs on the car are heavier, because of the increased weight of the batteries. Regular RAV4 springs might lower the car. Those mentioned above would probably lower it even more than 1.3 inches.

Springs are not as simple as you might think. When you lower a car, you have to increase the spring rate such that the same impulse (bump) will will be met with the same total force before you hit the bump stop. In addition, there is an interaction with the shock absorber because the force it imparts is proportional to velocity and the ideal damping changes with spring rate. Modifying any suspension is quite involved if you want to improve things overall. There are a multitude of ways to mess things up by changing only one item. If I was going to change the springs, I would probably also fit a set of adjustable shocks and do a full alignment. Now we're talking several thousand dollars investment. Probably not worth it.

how about Hankook V12 Ventus staggered?

Front: 235/45-20
Rear: 275/40-20

Mounted on Volks G2 Forged, about 2 to 3 lbs lighter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8317976@N05/9328895273/

My earlier post on this topic below. Not enough miles on the stock Yokohamas to compare efficiency, but 14,000 miles later currently, I still really like the quietness and handling of the Continentals.

I replaced the stock Yokohama G91s with Continental ProContact EcoPlus ($123 per tire at local Firestone, $656 total out the door). Came down to these or the Michelin Defenders (top choice of Continental Cross Contact LX20 EcoPlus were out of stock practically across the nation). My sense after 500+ miles is that the new tires run quieter and provide a smoother ride; not enough miles to compare fuel efficiency.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ProContact+with+EcoPlus+Technology&partnum=265TR7PCEP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+G91A&partnum=265HR7GEOHTV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Hi Dark,

Love your rims. I am trying to find a pair from the RAV4 Sport Appearance Package. Quick question: Did you have to do anything special to install those rims in regards to the TPMS?

Mounted on Volks G2 Forged, about 2 to 3 lbs lighter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8317976@N05/9328895273/

Khaihon said:
Hi Dark,

Love your rims. I am trying to find a pair from the RAV4 Sport Appearance Package. Quick question: Did you have to do anything special to install those rims in regards to the TPMS?

Thanks Khaihon, I am loving it, the car drives so much different now. It feels more solid, more grip and more stable.

I bought new sets of TPMS, the same OEM ones with no problems. The tire shop reprogrammed for me for free.

Here is the latest photos with running board installed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8317976@N05/9396011697/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8317976@N05/9337577363/

Dark,

Wow, I love the rims and the running boards. Are those the Westin running boards? I ordered a set of them in black form Amazon and they should be here tomorrow. Are those really 20" wheels? I guess they don't look that big since you went with a much lower profile tire. My RAV4 EV is also Blizzard Pearl white. I was thinking of taking all of the chrome off the car (front and back) and spraying them with black plasti-dip. I did the plastic little hubcaps like some other members did on the regular RAV4 forums. I like the look.

Back