Anti sway bar upgrade?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSki

I believe the Rav Sport has a much thicker sway bar, and I believe they are rather cheap <$100

I wonder if this would fit on our EVs to reduce some body roll when turning. Anyone know if the battery underneath would interfere with a sway bar change?

For the front, I installed the Cusco swaybar specified for the 2013 Toyota Harrier (ZSU60W).
For the rear, I installed the Ultra Racing swaybar and brace kit UR-RL4-456P.

This gives the ride a flatter turning behavior at high speed, for increased driving confidence on the highway.

Attachments

• IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 7B4E7DB6-7145-4075-8005-471B0F34292D.jpg
    7B4E7DB6-7145-4075-8005-471B0F34292D.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2170.jpg
    IMG_2170.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 1
Looks awesome! Did you install this yourself? Approximately how much did it cost? Is the rest of your suspension stock?

I find the ride too busy already; adding roll stiffness would exacerbate that tendency, so I looked for lower spring rate ("softer") springs a few years ago, without success. I admit that I didn't look very hard. My RAV4 EV is driven mostly empty; occasionally, I will load up a few hundred pounds of materials, my pressure washer or generator (both ~300 lbs), fairly frequently I move small quantities of building supplies such as 2x6 lumber, but mostly its maximum payload isn't needed or wanted*, and I would gladly give up some of that for a less busy ride.

I find the cornering to be very stable, up to maybe 80 MPH, and then it's a bit frightening because the low CG is misleading. "Stable" doesn't imply a lack of body roll, though. It does roll quite a bit, but it's also more truck-like in construction (meaning only the high roofline and the taller glass associated with that) than a Sedan or something I'd expect to corner flatter. I like body roll as a communicator of how far I'm pushing traction; it's usually a good provider of feedback.

---

* = A few months ago I picked up an inexpensive HF Scooter Carrier and I've been using it to move a huge compost heap, one load per week -- it's a 70 mi. round-trip to a parent's home where I visit weekly for lunch, with take-out Chinese. The HF carrier is rated for 500 lbs, and surprisingly I've dragged a wet load of compost onto it weighing >300 lbs, with myself standing on it to drag it up the ramp, and that's pretty close to 600 lbs -- and I haven't broken it yet. I don't know that I'd try to put 500 lbs on it and actually drive anywhere, but it can take a static load OK.

I've made perhaps a dozen round-trips with it. 300+ lbs. cantilevered this far off the Class III receiver hitch is really taxing this short-wheelbase RAV4, but aside from dragging the carrier on every driveway slope, it's working out well. I'm definitely glad that the RAV4 EV has the manual headlight aiming option; my 2010 Sienna (LE trim) AWD doesn't have it, but my friend's 2010 (Limited trim) does, and it's one of only two up-trim options I wish I had on it.

IMG_6684.jpgIMG_6686.jpgIMG_6962.jpg

(the optional side ramp isn't installed in the pics above, but I have recently installed it, and haven't manged to break it yet, either.)

This is the most taxing suspension load I have; by comparison, I move eight buckets of rock every week, but that's centered over the rear suspension and is hardly even noticeable.

IMG_6385.jpg

Oh, and lightweight but bulky stuff like mom's old range, which I hauled to a friend's son's house two charge sessions away!

IMG_6318.jpg

Looks awesome! Did you install this yourself? Approximately how much did it cost? Is the rest of your suspension stock?

Yes, I installed these myself in 2020. Being that it's been awhile, I don't remember enough detail to be very specific about the install procedure. But in short, I did it in my driveway with ordinary hand tools, and a large torque wrench.

Looking around on eBay, it looks like the price for Cusco parts has gone up. But it looks like anyone wanting to make these mods would need to spend around $500.

I have not made any additional modifications. As a matter of fact, I'm due for some new struts.

Unlike @asavage, I use my Rav4 as a commuter car, and rarely transport cargo of any significance. I prefer the stiff ride and the flatter cornering.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 06.43.53.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 06.43.53.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 06.43.39.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 06.43.39.png
    86 KB · Views: 0
Back