Factory Roof Rack?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shade

I was at the dealer today and asked about a OEM roof rack. I was told that a 2012 roof rack wouldn't fit a 2013 RavEV. I said that I thought the body was the same and was told that it wouldn't fit. Has anyone had an OEM roof rack installed on their EV?

shade said:
I was at the dealer today and asked about a OEM roof rack. I was told that a 2012 roof rack wouldn't fit a 2013 RavEV. I said that I thought the body was the same and was told that it wouldn't fit. Has anyone had an OEM roof rack installed on their EV?

This is just standard dealer cluelessness. Just tell them you made a mistake, and it's really a 2012 Rav4. Then, buy the rack and put it on your 2012 - 2014 Rav4 EV.

Hi guys -- is this the same for the 2014 RAV4 EV?

I see that there are 4 plastic tabs which can be removed, exposing a metal base and a bolt. Does the Toyota OEM roof rack include the side rails that be installed on these?

Can you order this part online or do you have to visit a Toyota dealership?

Thanks!

Yes it is the same for the 2014 Rav4's.

As Tony always says, Always always always tell them you have a 2012 Rav 4. Leave out the EV part completely. All parts retailers do is look up in their computer and tell you the part wont fit, every time.

The body of the car minus the sideview mirrors is a 2006-2012 Rav4. Anything from one of those vehicles will fit on this car.

Thanks Jimbo!

Check these out on Amazon:

Do you think either of those are the correct part for the roof rack side rails? (Notice the owner of the store answered my question exactly like you predicted.)

The local Toyota dealership here in Carlsbad quoted me over double the price for the side rails, and then added that "there's no guarantee this will fit". Do you think I should get the Toyota one or go with the Amazon one?

Thanks for the advice, it's great to have help like this!

Fantastic RavEnvy! I just bought the eBay ones you suggested. Any recommendations/tips/gotchas regarding installation? Any non-standard tools needed?

Regarding the previous post about cross bars -- I'm looking at the Thule AeroBlade, which I believe will attach to the side rails; I think M is the correct size for the 2012-14 RAV4 EV. (Anyone use these?)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NN8K34/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Toyota also has cross-bars -- any advice or suggestions from owners who have added roof racks?

I bought the inexpensive roof rack, and inexpensive crossbars off of ebay. The rack is fine - no problems installing at all, and quite solid. But the inexpensive cross bars are basically rectagular aluminum tubing with large plastic housings at each end, and while they work adequately for low speed around town, they made a tremendous amount of wind noise (and I am sure resistance) at any speed abover 45mph. I had to pull over and remove them it was so bad.

Might consider these Thule bars -

Any recommendations/tips/gotchas regarding installation? Any non-standard tools needed?
Installation was straight forward. No special tools required. Metric socket set and Phillips screwdriver, as I recall.

I bought the inexpensive roof rack, and inexpensive crossbars off of ebay. The rack is fine - no problems installing at all, and quite solid. But the inexpensive cross bars are basically rectagular aluminum tubing with large plastic housings at each end, and while they work adequately for low speed around town, they made a tremendous amount of wind noise (and I am sure resistance) at any speed abover 45mph.
I bought the same ones, and while I did not note increased noise (maybe the radio always being on covered it up), I found the cross bars, which are held in place by friction, could loosen up with time and slide out if loaded during turns. I plan to added some screws to hold them in place next time I use them.

Hi all,

So I bought and installed the roof side rails from eBay. Easy install, looks great. Only one issue I wanted to ask about:

The footings that attach to the bolts -- I've fastened them down tightly, as far as they go, I think, but they don't sit flush with the roof. There's a bit of a gap, only a few mm. So the plastic protective base isn't pressed down onto the roof perfectly, so definitely not water tight.

Did anyone else have the same issue or did yours all tighten down completely flush with the roof line?

Do you think this matters? It's just metal roof below the rails anyway...

lsaenz said:
Hi all,

So I bought and installed the roof side rails from eBay. Easy install, looks great. Only one issue I wanted to ask about:

The footings that attach to the bolts -- I've fastened them down tightly, as far as they go, I think, but they don't sit flush with the roof. There's a bit of a gap, only a few mm. So the plastic protective base isn't pressed down onto the roof perfectly, so definitely not water tight.

Did anyone else have the same issue or did yours all tighten down completely flush with the roof line?

Do you think this matters? It's just metal roof below the rails anyway...

I'm not clear where you are seeing a gap, but on mine, the plastic end rail covers sit on the rubber gaskets without a gap, but if I remove the covers, there is a gap between the metal rail mount and the rubber, and the car's roof, in the centers. Also, there is a gap between the rubber and rain guides (the black strips), but not between the rubber and the paint on the sides of the mounts. However, as long as you have the rails securely mounted, I don't think this matters as you have paint protecting the roof, and the rubber gasket prevents water ingress at the bolt mounts.

Back