ALL POSTS - Heater Failed - Service Bulletin TSB 0111-14

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waidy said:
I now have a 2014 SparkEV with SAE Combo socket as a loaner (no cost to me) until my Rav is fixed. L2 charge rate is only 3.3kW (16 amp) :-(
Really? That Spark EV they loaned you actually has Frankenplug w/holes for the 2 pins below the J1772 portion? I've only personally seen under the charge port doors of a few Spark EVs and they just had that portion filled in. Frankenplug handle won't fit.

Yeah, it is lame that Spark EV uses a 3.3 kW OBC in this day and age. It'd be more excusable if it were a PHEV (e.g. Volt), but it's not.

Hi waidy, I haven't driven the Spark. I am curious to hear about your driving experience with it.

To finish off my previous posts, I got my RAV back on Tuesday and have had no trouble since. I did get to have a little early Festivus airing of grievances when I filled out the feedback survey. :D

boredcleaner said:
Hi waidy, I haven't driven the Spark. I am curious to hear about your driving experience with it.

To finish off my previous posts, I got my RAV back on Tuesday and have had no trouble since. I did get to have a little early Festivus airing of grievances when I filled out the feedback survey. :D

Boredcleaner, did the dealer have your EV from 11/30 until this Tuesday?

boredcleaner said:

The Spark is no where in compare to the Rav in any dimensions (space, power, charge rate, navigation, audio). Even the navigation for music is as bad as the Rav. I still haven't figured out how to pause the music. Another sample is that you cannot set a destination address in the Spark. It has to be forwarded over from your laptop. There is no "map" screen. Another thing is that since it is so light, I don't feel safe driving it. I live up in the hill and I have to step on the break on every turn while I just release the break on my Rav. Otherwise, I feel like I will flip over :) The only think I like about it is the size: easy to park.

I found out more by talking to Toyota Corporate office. The part that my Rav is waiting for is the converter (supplied by Tesla). The heater part is there and has been installed on my Rav.

TonyWilliams said:
waidy said:
I found out more by talking to Toyota Corporate office. The part that my Rav is waiting for is the converter (supplied by Tesla). The heater part is there and has been installed on my Rav.

Yes, the failed heater blows a diode in the DC to DC converter.

What are the symptoms of a blown DC to DC converter? My heater isn't working and I am taking the EV in tomorrow to have that fixed. There has been no mention by the dealer about the DC to DC converter. Is it possible to have a broken heater and NOT a broken DC2DC?

shade said:
Boredcleaner, did the dealer have your EV from 11/30 until this Tuesday?

Shade, yes, they did, with the exception of a one-night sleepover at home. The RAV failed to start the following morning and went back to the dealership.

Edit: and that sucked.

Wow, the service manager left me a message 10 minutes ago saying that they JUST got my part and has scheduled to put in my Rav tomorrow. The message said please expect a call from us tomorrow after to pick up your Rav4EV.

That said, filing a case to Toyota Corporate works!!!

waidy said:
Wow, the service manager left me a message 10 minutes ago saying that they JUST got my part and has scheduled to put in my Rav tomorrow. The message said please expect a call from us tomorrow after to pick up your Rav4EV.

That said, filing a case to Toyota Corporate works!!!
Sorry, typo above, it's "after lunch to pick up your Rav4EV".

Question, I have been checking on my Rav via enTune and RavCharge. Since the dealer filled up my tank Monday Dec 9 2pm, It showed "Entune range: 123 miles; or RavCharge mile 159 miles". Today, Dec 12 5:23pm, both enTune and RavCharge show the same DTE. I used to lost 7-10 miles on a cold night that's because the BMS was working (keeping the battery temperature within spec). Although my Rav's heater and DC2DC converter are taken out, I would assume there will be discharge. It was set at standard 80% charge level. Why wouldn't my Rav4EV discharge after parking idle for almost 3 days. Does anyone has any explanation.

waidy said:
boredcleaner said:
The Spark is no where in compare to the Rav in any dimensions (space, power, charge rate, navigation, audio). Even the navigation for music is as bad as the Rav. I still haven't figured out how to pause the music. Another sample is that you cannot set a destination address in the Spark. It has to be forwarded over from your laptop. There is no "map" screen.
I think there a map screen but requires it you pay for a $50 app and use your smartphone for data and GPS (http://gigaom.com/2012/09/07/chevy-adopts-a-bring-your-own-maps-approach-to-navigation/ was written presumably about the ICE Spark).

My Rav is back!! I returned the Chevy Spark EV and picked up my Rav. I will be taking the other Rav for heater fixed on Monday. I have reserved the Chevy Spark EV for Monday when I drop off my 2nd Rav. Here is what the technician wrote on my repair:

Replaced the following:
87101-42010 Heater Sub-Assy, Ele
G9270-0R011 Converter Assy, Elec
00289-G48VC G-48 Collant
00272-GTBC1 S/L Life Blue

Verified no heat from heater, Inspected Continuity of cabin heater fuse through DC/DC converter at cabin heater terminal + to main power cable, has open circuit. Inspected resistance of cabin heater at cabin heater connector, has 222 ohms at connector (readings same checked + to - & - to +). Needs cabin heater & DC/DC converter. Called TAS case #TA133430164. Replaced in cabin heater & DC/DC converter. Performed collant air purge & thermal system test. rd tested ok, heater operation normal

Perform power train update
As per TSB0050-13 replashed power management control ECU from CAL ID#896B342011300/896B54301100 to ID#896B342011500/896B54201300 & EC Gateway ECU from version 1.3.62 to version 1.3.79

Philly RAV4 EV said:
Do you know why they used to different coolants?

Because Toyota was responsible for the heater, and Tesla was responsible for the rest of the components that needed coolant. Plus, the other parts don't get as hot as the heater, so you really can't mix them, even if they used the exact same coolant/antifreeze.

waidy said:
My Rav is back!!
Replaced the following:
87101-42010 Heater Sub-Assy, Ele
G9270-0R011 Converter Assy, Elec
00289-G48VC G-48 Collant
00272-GTBC1 S/L Life Blue

Verified no heat from heater, Inspected Continuity of cabin heater fuse through DC/DC converter at cabin heater terminal + to main power cable, has open circuit. Inspected resistance of cabin heater at cabin heater connector, has 222 ohms at connector (readings same checked + to - & - to +). Needs cabin heater & DC/DC converter. Called TAS case #TA133430164. Replaced in cabin heater & DC/DC converter. Performed collant air purge & thermal system test. rd tested ok, heater operation normal

Perform power train update
As per TSB0050-13 replashed power management control ECU from CAL ID#896B342011300/896B54301100 to ID#896B342011500/896B54201300 & EC Gateway ECU from version 1.3.62 to version 1.3.79

Thanks so much for posting this. It is very valuable troubleshooting information for out-of-staters. :)

TonyWilliams said:
Philly RAV4 EV said:

Because Toyota was responsible for the heater, and Tesla was responsible for the rest of the components that needed coolant. Plus, the other parts don't get as hot as the heater, so you really can't mix them, even if they used the exact same coolant/antifreeze.

My question is why are they using 2 different coolants when the 2 separate systems call for g48???

Philly RAV4 EV said:
TonyWilliams said:
Philly RAV4 EV said:

My question is why are they using 2 different coolants when the 2 separate systems call for g48???

Because Toyota specifies the pink stuff and Tesla specifies G48. The two separate systems do not call for G48, however I suspect there wouldn't be any problem using G48 in both.

So, the EV has been at dealer since last Friday for a broken heater. Supposedly the heating unit has been replaced, but the "circuit board" (?) is back ordered until February, so no heat until then. Dealer wants me to pick it up. If it was April, no problem, but I am not happy about having no heat for January and February.

shade said:
So, the EV has been at dealer since last Friday for a broken heater. Supposedly the heating unit has been replaced, but the "circuit board" (?) is back ordered until February, so no heat until then. Dealer wants me to pick it up. If it was April, no problem, but I am not happy about having no heat for January and February.
I would tell them the car is not operable without heat and they need to provide a loaner until it's fixed. Also, open a case with Toyota corporate. Another person in the same situation had the lead time miraculously reduced from a month plus down to a week by doing that.

Back