Plastic burning smell from port/handle when charging?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljw

There is a 30A charger I have used and every time I use it I can smell the scent of burning plastic coming from the handle and port. Upon inspection, I notice that the port and connectors on the handle are indeed quite hot to the touch - however there is never any molten or soft plastic. And I can not discern any other damage occurring. I have used this charger many times. Is this normal, or should I be concerned I am doing damage?

This is the only 30A charger I have ever used so I have no other points of comparison.

Doesn't happen with Blinks, which I understand are now all less than 30A.

This is not normal, I check the temperature of my cables etc regularly and they are only occasionally mildly warm, never hot and there is never any smell. I am not an electrician, but that seems like you are risking damage to your charging port by using this one.

STOP USING THIS PLUG !!!

Please take a picture (you'll need a macro lens) of the pins on your car and post it here. Is there any damage like this?

Rav4j1772burntPinB.jpg

Rav4j1772burntPinA.jpg

Here is a close up of my charging port. Still looks OK to me.

20131218_1400431_zpsab15ffa6.jpg

The charger is a PEP Station (http://www.pepstations.com/).

i smell a burning odor in the trunk space(rear of the car) when i lift the carpet. (in the small storage space area), never too powerful to smell in cabin, but contsant in that specific area.

Back