Leviton 40 Amp EVSE Installed

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeCKis300

Happy to have gotten my Leviton 40 AMP EVB40-SPT EVSE installed today.

p1379057840-4.jpg

I settled on this charger after considering my options in this thead - http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=142

In addition to the $1235 for the charger direct from Leviton, I bought the following from home depot and self installed the charger:
1) 35ft of 2 wire #6 NM-B - $70
2) 50amp double pole breaker - $10
3) NEMA 6-50 Receptacle - $10
4) Double gang box and cover - $10

Approximately $1430 all said and done. I do like the charger and it looks and feels like a quality sturdy piece.

The RAV4 EV is warm and happy in the garage sucking down juice though the new fire hose instead of a stir stick. It will finally be fully charged by morning for once. :)

TeCKis300

Looks nice. On mine the the plug is behind the top cover. Did you install the quick dismount back plate? You will like the 9.6kw charge rate.

I wound up with the full installation package and was charged through the nose for it. Mine must have been near the last of the "required" packaged deals. Got back at'em as it took'em from about 10:15AM to 4:30PM to finish. My house had lot's of problems including having to crawl under the house. And two inspections!

After choking at the cost of an additional high power 'portable' EVSE I realized my unit pops off the wall and all I need is a 14-50 to ???? socket to use a RV park for charging. I also had the 120/240 EVSEUpgrade done on the portable unit.

=D~~ Brandy

Brandy said:
After choking at the cost of an additional high power 'portable' EVSE I realized my unit pops off the wall and all I need is a 14-50 to ???? socket to use a RV park for charging. I also had the 120/240 EVSEUpgrade done on the portable unit.

I would actually use the NEMA 14-50 in your garage, as both the receptacle on the wall and the plug on the EVSE.

I put a NEMA 14-50 receptacle box on the outside of my house, and now for those times when I get sequestered to outside the garage, I can quickly disconnect my Clipper Creek and plug it in outside for charging (mine is mounted with two 1/4" lag screws).

Additionally, as you note, I can take it with me to RV parks. Welding shops will use the NEMA 6-50 plug that is already on the Leviton, but I'm going to guess it will be rare to use a welding shop.

The primary differences between the 6-50 and 14-50 is the addition of a neutral in the 14-50. The purpose of this is that RV's only use 120 volts, and it is essentially two 120 volt circuits all on one 50 amp breaker. Of course, our EVSE's won't use the neutral so you can leave that out, however when I wired my outside box I included neutral so that folks who might visit with an RV can plug in.

I would like to check out how the quick disconnect works on the Leviton. Can somebody post a picture?

It's nice to see Toyota and Leviton now allow people to purchase the station without the install. This is my CS-100.

Brandy, I bought the SPT model which has the plug pigtail at the bottom. Though the instructions had steps to reconfigure it to the internal top spot as you mentioned, which is how the 5PT comes configured. I did consider doing it that way, but I wanted the plug exposed or the unlikely event I wanted to use it for something else. I didn't bother with quick dismount plate as it's easily removable with a couple screws as it is.

Tony, interesting you bring up the 14-50 as I almost went that way. I decided it wasn't worth it as I already have a separate 30amp 4-wire plug in the garage for my welder.

Back