Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Out of State service
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:44 am 

Doug, thanks for the details of your conversation. Every bit of info is valuable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:19 pm 

doug401 wrote:
doug401 wrote:

2) Ev drivetrain problems, mostly Tesla stuff. Not covered outside of CA authorized dealers.

Will Tesla work on Tesla related problems outside of California?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:27 pm 

Michael Bornstein wrote:
doug401 wrote:
doug401 wrote:

2) Ev drivetrain problems, mostly Tesla stuff. Not covered outside of CA authorized dealers.

Will Tesla work on Tesla related problems outside of California?

If you mean at a Tesla service center, no.

I have not heard of a single Tesla direct involvement (meaning Tesla guy on site) with an out-of-state problem.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:44 pm 

reeler wrote:
doug401 wrote:
I think there is a fourth scenario. RAV4 ICE standard things that are covered by warranty. My key fobs are not recognized after start-up on one of my RAV4 EVs when I place the fob in the cup holder. I get an error message on the dash. I have replaced the batteries and still have the issue. My other RAV4 EV does not have the issue when placing the key in the cupholder. Is that something we would bother the authorized field engineer with?

I got new snow tires, wheels and sensors. Discount Tire has been unable to get the sensors to "pair/register" with my RAV4 EV so I decided to try the local Toyota dealer (Schaumburg, Illinois).

I was met by the whole management staff in the service department and they flat out told me they have been instructed they cannot WORK on this car. I told them I was willing to pay for the service and they said NO.

After a lot of whining (and embarrassing them), the manager finally agreed to call the Field Tech to see if the sensor setup was somehow special. During the call, the FT apparently allowed them to do the procedure (projected to cost $58).

After an hour of working on it, they said they could not register the sensors. They COULD read the wheel sensors with their tool. So they said they were incompatible. They did not charge me for the time.

(ex-2011 Volt #2365 - returned Nov. 2013)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm 

I'd find a Toyota Independent shop. These are everywhere here in CA. A place that works on Toyota & Lexus product exclusively. These guys often have the tools and electronics needed to accomplish this.

http://caseyautomotive2.reachlocal.net/ ... Automotive
http://repairpal.com/douglas-automotive-barrington

I just picked these two online after reading their details... but I am certain there are far more.

You might also encourage the dealership to try to get to TSS for help.
Or, my Master Tech might be able to walk your local dealership thru this too.
Willing to step in and try!

949-689-0717 cell
310-522-2317 office
In my garage:
2013 Rav4 EV Blue #2030 & 2014 Rav4 EV blue #3473
2012 Prius PlugIn
My son is a USMC Sergeant & am SO proud of him!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:13 am 

Dianne wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I think I am going to just live with the tire sensor issue since they are snow wheels. This was more just an experiment to me to see what the local dealer would do.

For something serious, I still have my backup card to play..... before purchase, another Toyota Dealer (Elmhurst, Illinois) said they would work on the EV. This dealer is 16 miles away and the one I mentioned above is 1 mile from home.

Gene

(ex-2011 Volt #2365 - returned Nov. 2013)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 am 

eplantz wrote:
Dianne wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I think I am going to just live with the tire sensor issue since they are snow wheels. This was more just an experiment to me to see what the local dealer would do.

For something serious, I still have my backup card to play..... before purchase, another Toyota Dealer (Elmhurst, Illinois) said they would work on the EV. This dealer is 16 miles away and the one I mentioned above is 1 mile from home.

Gene

Even if they work on it, Toyota is likely not going to pay the dealership for ToyotaCare and warranty.

Toyota USA is playing hardball so you'll get the word out not to take this cars out-of-state and cost them valuable CARB-ZEV credits.

I can't wait for the first person that wants to take their hydrogen car out-of-state!!!

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:11 pm 

eplantz wrote:
reeler wrote:
doug401 wrote:
I think there is a fourth scenario. RAV4 ICE standard things that are covered by warranty. My key fobs are not recognized after start-up on one of my RAV4 EVs when I place the fob in the cup holder. I get an error message on the dash. I have replaced the batteries and still have the issue. My other RAV4 EV does not have the issue when placing the key in the cupholder. Is that something we would bother the authorized field engineer with?

I got new snow tires, wheels and sensors. Discount Tire has been unable to get the sensors to "pair/register" with my RAV4 EV so I decided to try the local Toyota dealer (Schaumburg, Illinois).

I was met by the whole management staff in the service department and they flat out told me they have been instructed they cannot WORK on this car. I told them I was willing to pay for the service and they said NO.

After a lot of whining (and embarrassing them), the manager finally agreed to call the Field Tech to see if the sensor setup was somehow special. During the call, the FT apparently allowed them to do the procedure (projected to cost $58).

After an hour of working on it, they said they could not register the sensors. They COULD read the wheel sensors with their tool. So they said they were incompatible. They did not charge me for the time.

What I find extremely ironic are the anti tesla automobile associations who are fighting for the right to sell (markup) cars in order to "protect the consumer" via dealer servicing centers. Basically if Tesla folds, the dealership will stand behind the repairs.

Apparently Toyota is,doing the opposite. I hope more rav4 evs make it out of California to put pressure on Toyota to do the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:23 pm 

Bad news on the Out of State service front.
Six months ago I took my Rav4 to Kirkland Toyota in Kirkland WA. Before making the appointment I confirmed that they were "Toyota Certified". The service was done, no issues.
Yesterday when I went to pick it up, I got the sob story that Toyota had not paid them last time and this time they would have to charge me. I did ask why this wasn't mentioned when I made the appt.
I didn't want to punish them so I paid the $36. Still a bit steep for a tire rotation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:13 am 

SeattleRAV4: I had a very good conversation with the service manager at Michael's Toyota in Bellevue right after I bought my RAV4EV and shipped it to Seattle. (They sell the WeatherTech floor mats there!)

He was very supportive, and said that they'd continue to try to get Toyota to allow them to service our cars. He said something to the effect of "If it has the Toyota badge on it, we should be able to support it."

We should try to get all the new generation RAV4's in the region together and do some brainstorming. I'd like to suggest we meet up on July 26th at the EV zone of NW SolarFest in Shoreline, WA. Not sure if you're already going (J?), or someone else local, but if we can get a bunch of us together we may be able to develop some ideas for support/service in our area. I know we have at least 5-6 here, maybe more....

JESLA , JLONG , JDeMo, WeatherTech mats including cargo,
Bike Hitch, Mud flaps, cargo cover

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next