Out of State service

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael Bornstein said:
doug401 said:
doug401 said:
2) Ev drivetrain problems, mostly Tesla stuff. Not covered outside of CA authorized dealers.

Will Tesla work on Tesla related problems outside of California?

If you mean at a Tesla service center, no.

I have not heard of a single Tesla direct involvement (meaning Tesla guy on site) with an out-of-state problem.

reeler said:
doug401 said:
I think there is a fourth scenario. RAV4 ICE standard things that are covered by warranty. My key fobs are not recognized after start-up on one of my RAV4 EVs when I place the fob in the cup holder. I get an error message on the dash. I have replaced the batteries and still have the issue. My other RAV4 EV does not have the issue when placing the key in the cupholder. Is that something we would bother the authorized field engineer with?

I got new snow tires, wheels and sensors. Discount Tire has been unable to get the sensors to "pair/register" with my RAV4 EV so I decided to try the local Toyota dealer (Schaumburg, Illinois).

I was met by the whole management staff in the service department and they flat out told me they have been instructed they cannot WORK on this car. I told them I was willing to pay for the service and they said NO.

After a lot of whining (and embarrassing them), the manager finally agreed to call the Field Tech to see if the sensor setup was somehow special. During the call, the FT apparently allowed them to do the procedure (projected to cost $58).

After an hour of working on it, they said they could not register the sensors. They COULD read the wheel sensors with their tool. So they said they were incompatible. They did not charge me for the time.

I'd find a Toyota Independent shop. These are everywhere here in CA. A place that works on Toyota & Lexus product exclusively. These guys often have the tools and electronics needed to accomplish this.

http://caseyautomotive2.reachlocal.net/?utm_source=ReachLocal&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=CaseyAutomotive
http://repairpal.com/douglas-automotive-barrington

I just picked these two online after reading their details... but I am certain there are far more.

You might also encourage the dealership to try to get to TSS for help.
Or, my Master Tech might be able to walk your local dealership thru this too.
Willing to step in and try!

Dianne said:

Thanks for the info.

I think I am going to just live with the tire sensor issue since they are snow wheels. This was more just an experiment to me to see what the local dealer would do.

For something serious, I still have my backup card to play..... before purchase, another Toyota Dealer (Elmhurst, Illinois) said they would work on the EV. This dealer is 16 miles away and the one I mentioned above is 1 mile from home.

Gene

eplantz said:
Dianne said:

Thanks for the info.

I think I am going to just live with the tire sensor issue since they are snow wheels. This was more just an experiment to me to see what the local dealer would do.

For something serious, I still have my backup card to play..... before purchase, another Toyota Dealer (Elmhurst, Illinois) said they would work on the EV. This dealer is 16 miles away and the one I mentioned above is 1 mile from home.

Gene

Even if they work on it, Toyota is likely not going to pay the dealership for ToyotaCare and warranty.

Toyota USA is playing hardball so you'll get the word out not to take this cars out-of-state and cost them valuable CARB-ZEV credits.

I can't wait for the first person that wants to take their hydrogen car out-of-state!!!

eplantz said:
reeler said:
doug401 said:
I think there is a fourth scenario. RAV4 ICE standard things that are covered by warranty. My key fobs are not recognized after start-up on one of my RAV4 EVs when I place the fob in the cup holder. I get an error message on the dash. I have replaced the batteries and still have the issue. My other RAV4 EV does not have the issue when placing the key in the cupholder. Is that something we would bother the authorized field engineer with?

I got new snow tires, wheels and sensors. Discount Tire has been unable to get the sensors to "pair/register" with my RAV4 EV so I decided to try the local Toyota dealer (Schaumburg, Illinois).

I was met by the whole management staff in the service department and they flat out told me they have been instructed they cannot WORK on this car. I told them I was willing to pay for the service and they said NO.

After a lot of whining (and embarrassing them), the manager finally agreed to call the Field Tech to see if the sensor setup was somehow special. During the call, the FT apparently allowed them to do the procedure (projected to cost $58).

After an hour of working on it, they said they could not register the sensors. They COULD read the wheel sensors with their tool. So they said they were incompatible. They did not charge me for the time.

What I find extremely ironic are the anti tesla automobile associations who are fighting for the right to sell (markup) cars in order to "protect the consumer" via dealer servicing centers. Basically if Tesla folds, the dealership will stand behind the repairs.

Apparently Toyota is,doing the opposite. I hope more rav4 evs make it out of California to put pressure on Toyota to do the right thing.

Bad news on the Out of State service front.
Six months ago I took my Rav4 to Kirkland Toyota in Kirkland WA. Before making the appointment I confirmed that they were "Toyota Certified". The service was done, no issues.
Yesterday when I went to pick it up, I got the sob story that Toyota had not paid them last time and this time they would have to charge me. I did ask why this wasn't mentioned when I made the appt.
I didn't want to punish them so I paid the $36. Still a bit steep for a tire rotation.

SeattleRAV4: I had a very good conversation with the service manager at Michael's Toyota in Bellevue right after I bought my RAV4EV and shipped it to Seattle. (They sell the WeatherTech floor mats there!)

He was very supportive, and said that they'd continue to try to get Toyota to allow them to service our cars. He said something to the effect of "If it has the Toyota badge on it, we should be able to support it."

We should try to get all the new generation RAV4's in the region together and do some brainstorming. I'd like to suggest we meet up on July 26th at the EV zone of NW SolarFest in Shoreline, WA. Not sure if you're already going (J?), or someone else local, but if we can get a bunch of us together we may be able to develop some ideas for support/service in our area. I know we have at least 5-6 here, maybe more....

Larry_in_Seattle said:
SeattleRAV4: I had a very good conversation with the service manager at Michael's Toyota in Bellevue right after I bought my RAV4EV and shipped it to Seattle. (They sell the WeatherTech floor mats there!)

He was very supportive, and said that they'd continue to try to get Toyota to allow them to service our cars. He said something to the effect of "If it has the Toyota badge on it, we should be able to support it."

We should try to get all the new generation RAV4's in the region together and do some brainstorming. I'd like to suggest we meet up on July 26th at the EV zone of NW SolarFest in Shoreline, WA. Not sure if you're already going (J?), or someone else local, but if we can get a bunch of us together we may be able to develop some ideas for support/service in our area. I know we have at least 5-6 here, maybe more....
I won't be there in person but please add my voice to this. With an impending move to Vancouver I have a feeling that I'll be driving to Washington for service anyway. I should be able to just squeak in there on a full charge.

I also will not be able to make the meetup but am fully onboard with forming up an informal Seattle group.
Once I have exhausted all the local dealers, I guess I will have to rotate my own tires.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help with warranty work.

ok I just read through this whole thread and I dont know why you guys are all so upset.

I dont own a Rav 4 EV yet but I am thinking about buying one. I currently have a 12' Prius Plug in. It just clicked over 40k miles and I did my 2nd oil change ever. I know thats kind of pushing it but most of my miles are EV and the oil still looked good.

EV's dont need service! Thats one of the benefits of owning one. Why are you guys all upset about dealer 5k and 10k services???? Check the fluid levels yourself and rotate the tires at a mom and pop shop, anyone can rotate tires.

Sure if something major comes up you would like to know that Toyota will repair it regardless of the state you live in but none of you guys are even complaining about major issues. From what I have read major issues are quite rare.

I really dont see the problem.

"The Problem" is exactly as you said, major repairs.
The 6 month service is really trivial. Check the floor mats, check the fluid levels, rotate the tires. It really isn't worth the trouble to take the car in. The only reason I have been doing so is to check whether the local dealers can actually work on the car, and get them some experience with it. It normally takes a good 45 min just to get the car checked in with all the techs wanting to check it out.
So far I have had no problems with mine. I have not had any firmware updates, which might be a bad thing in the long run.

We are just trying to make sure we can get service when required. Reports from others to date are that while getting things fixed can take longer than "normal", the Seattle shops seem to be getting them back on the road.

The "complaint" is that Toyota should be providing basic "care".
I can rotate my own tires every 6 months.

From Tesla call:
“There are a few items that will need – a fair number of drivetrains will need to be serviced. It’s actually related to one (problem) to the differential, and we need to shim the differential. It doesn't require drive unit replacement, it just requires a technician to insert a shim. We are going to have to do that on a fair number of cars – but that is like a 50 cent shim.-Musk"
http://insideevs.com/tesla-guidance-on-model-x-demand-gigafactory-site/

I assume this is the cause of the "milling sound" that is making certain drivetrains howl when power is applied. The part may be 50 cents, but the labor is not. At least it's cheaper than replacing the entire drivetrain. As an out of stater, I'm on the fence about spending $1150 to extend the warranty, expecting that my drivetrain will get too loud overtime and require a trip back to CA to get replaced. If it's just a shim in the differential, although the extended warranty may still be needed, I might (just might) be able to get it done locally, either at the Toyota dealership or beg the Tesla service center to do it.

Is there anything in the warranty agreement that specifically states that all service must be done at an authorized EV Toyota dealership? I read somewhere on this forum that someone mentioned the possibility of a class action suit if they continued to decline to pay for repairs at an out of state Toyota dealership.

@jimbo - You have probably read through this thread more recently than me, but I don't recall a case discussed anywhere on this forum where somebody's out of state car broke down with a warranty eligible repair and Toyota made them ship the car back to CA at their cost to get it fixed. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just don't recall reading about it here. Federal law is on the customer's side on this - no matter what docs Toyota makes people sign when the car is new.

However, with that said there are people, one I recall specifically in Washington state, that got freaked out about Toyota not paying for the Toyota Care and they were worried about huge repair bills down the road. They ended up selling the car at a significant loss even though they had not experienced an actual refusal of warranty service in Washington. I thought it was an overreaction at the time because, at least during the warranty period, the limit of their liability would be shipping the car to the Sacramento area (the closest EV Certified dealer) for repair and the loss of use of the vehicle.

Toyota is treating their out of state customers poorly in an effort to limit their support costs for this low volume vehicle. They try to spread as much FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) as they can to keep as many in CA as possible. The bottom line is that if you're not in California, you have to really want the car to tolerate the possible hassles getting the car fixed in the future. On the other hand, if you live within 100 miles of an EV Certified Dealer in CA, I do not hesitate to recommend this car at all.

jimbo69ny said:
Is there anything in the warranty agreement that specifically states that all service must be done at an authorized EV Toyota dealership? I read somewhere on this forum that someone mentioned the possibility of a class action suit if they continued to decline to pay for repairs at an out of state Toyota dealership.
Toyota provides 2 years of free "Toyota Care" with these cars. This is basically an inspection and tire rotation every 5,000 miles. The fine print:
Covers normal factory scheduled service performed at an Authorized Toyota RAV4 EV Dealer for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. See Toyota dealer for details and exclusions. Valid only in the continental U.S. and Alaska.
Toyota has repeatedly refused to reimburse dealers that are not "Authorized RAV4 EV Dealers" for this service.

Actual warranty repairs are a different story. I think Toyota will eventually step up fix RAV4 EVs out of state, after some hassle for the owner. Finding an out of state dealer that is wants to work on the car is probably a necessary starting point. If you have a willing dealer and the only problem is getting Toyota to provide parts and reimburse for labor, I think your chances are pretty good.

Ok that's good to hear. So you guys haven't actually heard of someone out of state being denied say an ac motor or a heater fix? That's good.

One more thing about out of state service. If you need to top up the G48 coolant, it can be hard to find and Toyota dealers won't buy it for you because they have a case minimum order that they'll never be able to sell through. Probably the easiest way is to go to the nearest Tesla service center. They will sell you one jug of G48. You may even be able to talk them into topping you off so you don't have to buy the whole gallon.

Back