Latest firmware? Tesla-1.3.101, Nav-VB503200, GPS-6/1/13

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toyota doesn't even want to pay for firmware updates on this car I guess. Their lack of interest in supporting this car is apparent.

Next time you are charging overnight on the 31st of the month and have it not charge, I guess you charge the car and take it to the dealer then. You loose a day under that scenario, but it saves Toyota paying the dealer to hook-up a cable to the car for upgrading the firmware on your next free maintenance.

drmanny3 said:
I brought my Rav4EV in for the firmware upgrade. After about 20 minutes the Service Writer came over and asked me what kind of problems I was having with the charging. I had to admit none. Everything works as it should. The car always charges between the hours of 12 midnight and 6 am without fail. He then said that the service tech needed to open a ticket with Toyota before he could do the firmware. As it turns out it is not exactly as stated in the TSB. Based upon the problem Toyota will recommend certain things done. So, I decided rather than tell him something that was not true I would just forget getting this update.
Manny

What does opening a ticket means?
How does it differ from a standard work order like 10,000 mile service?

Sorry, I should have elaborated. Opening a ticket means you are documenting a problem that is then communicated to Toyota. The service tech at Tustin Toyota was following his procedure and was required to contact Toyota. They then asked him for the specific issues relating to charging problems with my car. Toyota (Corporation) would then direct a tech person to interact with the dealership to insure that the problem is fixed. So when the service writer told me this I realized that it was not so much an update but specific to certain issues. I see nothing wrong with this approach. I did not want to invent an issue, that just struck me as unprofessional. The way the TSB was written it gives the impression that this is an update that anyone would benefit from. However they (Toyota) were thinking about specific issues with charging. I don't have any complaints. Someone suggested that wait till a month with 31 days. I am not sure why that would impact me. I only recall telling the Rav4EV system to complete a charge Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun before the 6 am departure time. So there is no calendar associated with my charging. Thus unless I missed something I would not have his issue. Generally I update everything I have. Whether it is a wireless router, or a smart TV, my wireless receiver, or my desktops, and laptops. Firmware generally is a good thing to keep current. Though I have had situations where a motherboard worked better in my system using an earlier firmware update. So I guess there are no strict rules. Someone said if it isn't broke then don't fix it. My Rav4EV is running great given I only have about 1100 miles on it.

drmanny3 said:
Someone suggested that wait till a month with 31 days. I am not sure why that would impact me. I only recall telling the Rav4EV system to complete a charge Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun before the 6 am departure time. So there is no calendar associated with my charging. Thus unless I missed something I would not have his issue.
There was a strange bug where the vehicle timer would not initiate a charge for departure on the 31st of the month. The firmware to fix this was released sometime late Summer or Fall 2013. I got it in October. If your car is newer than that you may already have the firmware that fixed this issue.

tjka4231 said:
Went in today for my RAV4 EV 5,000 mile service at Tustin Toyota, which is near my home. (I originally got it from Carson Toyota last October) I asked the service advisor to check and upgrade it to the latest firmware. First he looked on his computer and saw there is no service campaign for my 2013 RAV4 EV and said there is no update available. I told him that the firmware upgrade is not necessarily due to a recall. He added a line in the work order to check for updates. He called 2 hours later saying that the service is completed. I went in to get the car and he told me that even though there is a firmware update available, Toyota advised his technician that if there is no problem with the vehicle (so far there hasn't been any problem), then to take the stance that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it", so the firmware wasn't updated.

Took my RAV4 EV back this morning (a week later) to Tustin Toyota and asked that the firmware updates be done. The service advisor said they just had a meeting about how to handle the EVs that are coming in for updates apparently due to online postings. He said they will only do updates if there is a problem. I told him one of the fixes that the firmware updates I heard is supposed to do is to improve the accuracy of the range indicator. My range indicator has never shown anything past 116 miles with the extended charge. He then wrote-up the work order to do the updates on TSB T-SB-0010-14. A few hours later towards the end of the day he called and said that one of the two updates listed in that TSB failed to install properly and they needed to work with Tesla support. So he authorized a 3-day no cost loaner car (not an EV) through Monday. He said Tesla support is not available on the weekend. Looks like the one update that was installed did improved the range indicator as it now shows 145 miles instead of the 94 miles (with a full extended charge) I saw when I dropped it off in the morning. Hopefully I will get my RAV4 EV back on Monday.

tjka4231 said:
tjka4231 said:
Went in today for my RAV4 EV 5,000 mile service at Tustin Toyota, which is near my home. (I originally got it from Carson Toyota last October) I asked the service advisor to check and upgrade it to the latest firmware. First he looked on his computer and saw there is no service campaign for my 2013 RAV4 EV and said there is no update available. I told him that the firmware upgrade is not necessarily due to a recall. He added a line in the work order to check for updates. He called 2 hours later saying that the service is completed. I went in to get the car and he told me that even though there is a firmware update available, Toyota advised his technician that if there is no problem with the vehicle (so far there hasn't been any problem), then to take the stance that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it", so the firmware wasn't updated.

Took my RAV4 EV back this morning (a week later) to Tustin Toyota and asked that the firmware updates be done. The service advisor said they just had a meeting about how to handle the EVs that are coming in for updates apparently due to online postings. He said they will only do updates if there is a problem. I told him one of the fixes that the firmware updates I heard is supposed to do is to improve the accuracy of the range indicator. My range indicator has never shown anything past 116 miles with the extended charge. He then wrote-up the work order to do the updates on TSB T-SB-0010-14. A few hours later towards the end of the day he called and said that one of the two updates listed in that TSB failed to install properly and they needed to work with Tesla support. So he authorized a 3-day no cost loaner car (not an EV) through Monday. He said Tesla support is not available on the weekend. Looks like the one update that was installed did improved the range indicator as it now shows 145 miles instead of the 94 miles (with a full extended charge) I saw when I dropped it off in the morning. Hopefully I will get my RAV4 EV back on Monday.

It will go back to less than a 100 if you drive the same way.
My standard range 81-96 BUT actual miles driven ( trip A) can go as high as 110 with 17 left on the guess o meter.

After the firmware update, a standard charge showed 135, then 130 then 124, etc
Now im back to 99.

Im really focused on the battery bars instead. They're more reliable vs the calculated range
Same as a regular ICE car you dont put too much faith on the miles remaining.
You look st the fuel gauge.

That makes sense. The 145 miles range looks great and I wished it would be the norm but it won't last once I start driving it.

I suspect that your maximum range jumps up like that after a service to update your computer because Toyota may have either did a hard reset to the computer or disconnected it from the 12V battery. Surely this happens whenever the computer is replaced and/or disconnected from the I/O cables. A sudden increase in Range has been mentioned here before in various old posts. Anytime there is a 12V battery disconnect that sudden increase will result immediately on the GoM.

Dsinned said:
I suspect that your maximum range jumps up like that after a service to update your computer because Toyota may have either did a hard reset to the computer or disconnected it from the 12V battery. Surely this happens whenever the computer is replaced and/or disconnected from the I/O cables. A sudden increase in Range has been mentioned here before in various old posts. Anytime there is a 12V battery disconnect that sudden increase will result immediately on the GoM.

Yup.

Got my software updated this week in San Diego. Did not get any hassle or questions like Tustin Toyota is giving people.

The GOM does get reset. In addition it appears the bars have been recalibrated with the new software. If you are using extended charge then the full charge will show full bars, and will deplete from there. Instead of in the past where it would show full bars until you dip below the standard charge level then begin depleting from there. Edit: Actually the bars might not be doing this after all. My GOM has increased by almost 25% and is holding. Maybe a more aggressive GOM calculation than before.

cooljw said:
Got my software updated this week in San Diego. Did not get any hassle or questions like Tustin Toyota is giving people.

The GOM does get reset. In addition it appears the bars have been recalibrated with the new software. If you are using extended charge then the full charge will show full bars, and will deplete from there. Instead of in the past where it would show full bars until you dip below the standard charge level then begin depleting from there. Edit: Actually the bars might not be doing this after all. My GOM has increased by almost 25% and is holding. Maybe a more aggressive GOM calculation than before.

My GOM Went back to 90's on a. Standard charge after a week from update.
However, im still getting almost a 100 ( based on actual miles driven).

Guys, I know I've said this before, but if they are disconnecting the 12 volt battery, they are resetting your GOM.

It likely has nothing to do with the firmware.

Generally speaking, the default is 3.5 miles per kWh, which results in 140-ish mile GOM range.

As always, the GOM has absolutely nothing to do with how far your next trip might be.

Just got mine back from Tustin for the 12k check.

They didn't even look at the software version. Tech sent me an email, I asked about it, he said there isn't one available.

How can they know if the car needs an update or not if they
1) Don't know there is an update.
2) Don't even check the vehicle to see what software it is running.

Toyota has the complete history on my Rav. They should know what it needs better than I do.

Waste of time to get wiper fluid.

Very typical of a TSB. It is not a recall nor is it mandatory or necessarily required. If you do not have a complaint then they would not pursue it. I certainly like to update things all the time but realize sometimes an update is not necessary. Was your car charging correctly? Were there any problems that you mentioned to the tech?
Manny

After the upgrade to version 1.3.83 my car is showing 124 miles on a regular charge. Doesn't sound right as it is supposed to show only a max of 103 miles as per understanding.

Back