ALL POSTS Charging Sounds, Buzzing when Charging, Noises

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ufojoe said:
The onboard charger....

How do you know they are coming from the OBC? Sometimes the cooling pump makes noise, I think in an effort to purge air out of the line or as a result of air in the line. Mine did this for a while and stopped. I parked it on a steep incline and problem solved the next day.

4EVEREV said:
Noises from where?

The charging noise seems to be coming from the front section of the vehicle, it is very loud. I also have another EV the Fiat 500e, and it is completely silent when it charges. Any suggestions? Do all Rav4EVs make this noise?

John

My 2014 buzzes when it's plugged in, even if it isn't charging. I noticed this morning when I came out to the car that despite having finished charging overnight, it was still buzzing. For me, it's a consistent buzz with no variation. What's the buzz?

DevinL said:
My 2014 buzzes when it's plugged in, even if it isn't charging. I noticed this morning when I came out to the car that despite having finished charging overnight, it was still buzzing. For me, it's a consistent buzz with no variation. What's the buzz?
That morning buzz is probably because your car is "charging" again despite having filled up overnight. The car goes through a second phase of consuming power from the EVSE (at a relatively low level) from 20 minutes before your scheduled departure to 7 minutes after. This has been much-discussed in other threads, and theories of what's going on range from cell-balancing to thermal pre-conditioning of the pack. Personally I like to avoid this power consumption outside of my super off peak window by setting my departure time about an hour after I actually leave and using RavCharge to make sure my "main charge" starts and finishes during the low-rate window.

fooljoe said:
DevinL said:
That morning buzz is probably because your car is "charging" again despite having filled up overnight. The car goes through a second phase of consuming power from the EVSE (at a relatively low level) from 20 minutes before your scheduled departure to 7 minutes after. This has been much-discussed in other threads, and theories of what's going on range from cell-balancing to thermal pre-conditioning of the pack. Personally I like to avoid this power consumption outside of my super off peak window but setting my departure time about an hour after I actually leave and using RavCharge to make sure my "main charge" starts and finishes during the low-rate window.
That would make sense, however the EVSE showed the "Not Charging" light. In the LEAF or Focus the "Charging" light on the EVSE (AV EVSE-RS) would blink for cell balancing scenarios indicating there was some, although a very small amount, of power being drawn. Also, the schedule is set for departure at 6AM every day and this was at 10:30AM. I did have the car on Charge Now mode since I got home at about 11PM last night but according to the Entune email it finished at 12:43AM.

Could this have been an internal and non-shore-powered cell balancing session?

ufojoe said:
It's an on and off loud buzzing type of noise from the minute it starts charging...

Sounds exactly like the noise mine has made on a couple of occasions. I tried to record the sound with my phone but no success. But it is an on - off loud buzzing. I wonder if it is EVSE specific? Haven't heard that noise in 10 months of charging at work on a CS-40, but have heard it on my LCS-25 at home and also one ChargePoint station in my area.

I also have another EV, a Fiat 500e, and it is completely silent when charging and when driving. The Toyota makes all kinds of noise while charging and while driving, braking, etc. Interesting.

Assume normal.

I and others hear the charging noises and had the same concerns. After visiting the dealers and comparing notes in this forum, it has been assumed to be "normal" for this vehicle to have pulsing noises at varying frequencies (even no noise) during charging. My previous Focus Electric and current Model S both do not make this or any pulsing noise, so I was quite worried the first week. I'm at 5500 miles now with no issues.

DevinL said:

Mine was doing this last night. The car was scheduled for 9:00 am departure and plugged in. The battery was about 2/3 full, so charging should have started around 4:00 am (judging from past experience). I went to check on it at aound 11:30 pm ( I just got the car back from the dealer for the 12 volt aux. battery drain). The car was humming and buzzing, but charging hadn't started yet. I decided to charge it immedately.

Mine is only a week old, and it makes a daily loud long interval 'tick - tock' noise during charging that I imagined was the cooling pump? No buzzing that I've noticed.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I don't have my own level 2 EVSE set up yet but hopefully soon. I will listen to it more carefully. With OEM level 1 EVSE, the buzzing sound is constantly present during charge. But with my one time level 2 EVSE charge with aeroenvironment, I was listening for it but really didn't hear any buzzing that time. I'll continue to pay attention for next few days to see if I missed something.

This evening I had my second experience of charging with public Level 2 EVSE(Clipper Creek) at Northridge mall. This time I also did not hear any buzzing sound during the charging session(almost completely silent). But the OEM Level 1 EVSE I am charging at home still consistently makes loud Buzzing sound.

Is there other people who have similar observation? Does anyone know of a possible logical explanation?

jimbo69ny said:
I think the buzzing is normal but I own the only Rav4 EV I have ever driven or charged.
Thanks for sharing. Are you consistently hearing buzz with level1 evse charging, but not level 2 evse charging like I am experiencing now or it buzz for both type of charging?

Thanks

Rav4EVoom said:
jimbo69ny said:
I think the buzzing is normal but I own the only Rav4 EV I have ever driven or charged.
Thanks for sharing. Are you consistently hearing buzz with level1 evse charging, but not level 2 evse charging like I am experiencing now or it buzz for both type of charging?

Thanks
Don't worry, you will not always hear buzzing. Check out that thread I posted earlier. Many of us experienced the same thing. Your RAV4 is fine!

Incredulocious said:
Don't worry, you will not always hear buzzing. Check out that thread I posted earlier. Many of us experienced the same thing. Your RAV4 is fine!

Thanks a lot for your assuring words and for providing the link to the thread. :)

duggie said:
Anybody hear a louder than normal buzzing sound when charging on Level 1? I don't seem to hear it when using Level 2 but it's easier to hear when in my garage because of the silence and acoustics. Sometimes it's a solid buzz and at other times it goes on and off every second or so.

@doggie, I just came across your post although a year has passed since your report. I have a August 2014 production Rav4EV for a week now and it also buzz all the time during L1 charging but completely quiet for L2 charging(if not for the blinking light, I wouldn't know it's charging).

Did the level 1 charging buzz ever go away for you? I know almost everyone on forum has found the buzz sound when charging to be accepted as normal and I think I am starting to be convinced, but I would be glad if it stops buzzing as the sound is a pretty "loud and annoying" noise.

Back