How long does it take to charge from empty?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy966

I don't have my car yet so I have no experience with how long it will take to charge the car. I am waiting for my car to come from Canada.

I already installed the GE Wattstation charger to a 40amp circuit. How long will it typically take to go from empty to full? I am certain there is already an answer somewhere, but was unable to find it using search.

Your Wattstation should be 30a at 240v, or 7.2kw. A true "empty to full" charge takes 41.8 kwh at the battery, or about 52 kwh at the wall. So 52 / 7.2 gives you about 7:15.

However, you should realize that you'll probably never actually charge from empty to full. More likely you'll start from somewhere around 50% charge (so roughly half the time), depending on how much you drive per day. And also the "full" I used was for an extended charge, which you should only rarely use for long trips. More often you'll do a normal charge to 35 kwh, which'll take about 1 hour less.

A better way to think of it is in terms of driving miles replaced per hour. Your 7.2kw Wattstation gives you about 5.8 usable kw, which translates to something like 14-20 miles per hour of charging, depending on how efficiently you drive.

When you get your car, try RavCharge, which'll do all this math for you to tell how you long it'll take to charge from any type of power source, and how far you can expect to drive for any level of driving efficiency. It also gives you the ability to start charging at a specified time.

Thanks Joe!

I saw your car the other day on the 405 I think which actually made me got to your website. Awesome idea BTW. You might want to think about making your frontpage or homepage more geared towards introducing your app and then routing actual customers to my.ravcharge.com or something like that. Based on your car advertising and the website, I could not tell at first glance what your app did. I work in the tech field and know a little bit about app dev and etc.

Also, I know you said you didn't want to develop a platform app, but as an iPhone user, I prefer to use an iPhone app over a web based app.

But thank you for creating a solution. Kudos!

Haha, yup the 405 would be my stomping ground. Glad to hear that the sticker got your attention! I appreciate the input on RavCharge.com - I know a slicker homepage would be good; it's just one of those things that keeps getting pushed down on the to-do list behind stuff like keeping the site running smoothly and developing new features. As far as native apps, I think you'll find that running it on the iphone is almost indistinguishable from a "real" app. You just visit the page via Safari once then choose to "add to home screen" and it's accessible like any other iOS app. My iphone is my primary testing platform, so I've tried to optimize the interface to work well on an iphone from the start.

fooljoe said:
... the iphone is almost indistinguishable from a "real" app. You just visit the page via Safari once then choose to "add to home screen" and it's accessible like any other iOS app. My iphone is my primary testing platform, so I've tried to optimize the interface to work well on an iphone from the start.

It works well for me that way.

I need to get my second Rav4 EV on the "app".

Back