Running the Rav4 low on energy (Turtle Mode)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waidy said:
My turtle came on LBW, never seen CCL.

DolphinLBW001b.jpg
Waidy, did you reset you trip odometer after the last charge (std or ext'd?) before you snapped this picture?

If so, this is definitely IMPRESSIVE!!! 175 miles on a single charge is INCREDIBLE!!!

Dsinned said:
Waidy, did you reset you trip odometer after the last charge (std or ext'd?) before you snapped this picture?

If so, this is definitely IMPRESSIVE!!! 175 miles on a single charge is INCREDIBLE!!!

I always reset my trip odometer and it has become my habit. It was on a extended charge. I suggest you don't follow my Rav because you will quickly become "impatient" following me :)

Waidy, you should register one or both of your RAV4 EVs on Entunes Eco Dashboard so you can be at the top of the leaderboard for sure! Driving 175 miles on an extended charge means your driving efficiency must be 4.2mi/kWh. AMAZING!!! :mrgreen:

waidy said:
occ said:
Well, I got my first turtle today too, <...important stuffs deleted...>Notice I still got the last bar. <...more important stuffs deleted...> But that last bar stayed until Turtle.
Same here. As I remember correctly, I did not turn on climate control. Perhaps this is the reason why I didn't get the CCL like Tony did. Occ: were your climate control ON? Tony: were your climate control ON?

I did a drive yesterday down into CCL with the climate control off. Either on or off, when it's time, CCL will pop up on the climate control screen, BUT ONLY WITH THE LAST FUEL BAR EXTINGUISHING !!!

So, for those times that the last fuel bar stays on, and you hit turtle, you likely will not get CCL.

BBQ said:
Does anyone know how many miles we can run after the turtle comes out?

I recommend getting off the road immediately as opposed to see how far you can go and physically killing the car and potentially being stuck on the road.

Typical speed is limited to 25mph and less than 1/2 mile of range, although that can be significantly less than that.

GET OFF THE ROAD AT TURTLE and call the free tow service with the red SOS button above the rear view mirror.

I've gotten the dreaded turtle mode once (within a month of owning my EV), and was dumb/cocky enough to go from Scripps Ranch to Carlsbad and back on 56 miles per the GOM. First experience of range anxiety was when I drove it fresh off the Dianne's dealership lot to Temecula to drop off my parents and then straight to San Diego. Drove about 60 mph and had <10 miles left on the GOM by the time I had it parked in my garage. I thought that was bad but the 2nd one made me realize at the early stages of EV ownership not to mess with the EV gods. Long story short. I had 10 miles to go on the freeway with my GOM saying 8 left. I drove 55 mph the rest of the freeway trip and as I hit my exit which was 2 miles away from my house, the turtle came on and forced me to drive <25 mph the rest of the way. I was so scared and anxious and really stressed out because of all the hassle this would have caused for me and my gf (went to watch a midnight movie at cinepolis and would have hated to end the day on such a bad/stressful note). My rav 4 ev gutted it out and pulled through for me but after that, I promised myself not to push my awesome EV to the limit anymore. That whole ride was so stressful (I work in a very high stress environment and can tell you I am not easily phased or stressed out and I can honestly say that that ride has been one of the most stressful experiences I've ever had to deal with) but since then, I have graduated from EV-noob academy and have a better grasp of the EV world. Been driving stress-free since and I really am glad I made the right choice of getting the rav 4 ev over a smart car ev (dont laugh) or the nissan leaf.

TeslaInside ^_^ said:
... my GOM saying 8 left. I drove 55 mph the rest of the freeway trip and as I hit my exit which was 2 miles away from my house, the turtle came on and forced me to drive <25 mph the rest of the way. I was so scared and anxious and really stressed out... I made the right choice of getting the rav 4 ev over a smart car ev (dont laugh) or the nissan leaf.

Many of us have owned or do own those other cars. There's nothing wrong with a LEAF within its performance limits.

You could have slowed to a much lower speed much sooner (or from the very beginning), even by 10mph, you would have been fine. There are hundreds of charging locations in San Diego, so you didn't need to stress; just basic planning.

www.PlugShare.com

Back