ALL POSTS-No Motor Power/Power Steering, turned off on road

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming that the following things are what happened, I believe there is a critical design flaw in how RAV4 EV handles a hardware failure.

a) The DC/DC converter failed for some reason
b) Power was sucked out of the 12V battery by the failed DC/DC converter to the main battery
c) Before any battery warning was displayed, the energy level of the 12V battery went too low causing the system to malfunction
d) The car stalled and the 12V battery was completely drained within a few minutes (so hazardous lights/SOS call weren't available)

I think once an abnormal voltage flow is detected in the DC/DC converter, RAV4 EV should completely kill any energy flow through the failed DC/DC converter, and a warning message to see service dealer should be displayed. This should prevent the draining of the 12V battery which causes the car in motion to stop, and let the driver continue to drive the car to the dealer. I hope Toyota can do this type of error handling with a firmware update and is already working on it to prevent the same problem from happening to other RAV4 EV owners.

Bought mine 10 days ago. So far so good, but did notice that the Power Steering Warning Light has come on a couple of times during charging? Should I be concerned?

I test drove the RAV 4 EV at Walnut Creek. I was planning on leasing it this weekend......untill I came across this forum and this discussion. I brought this to the dealers attention. They assured me everything was based off 'older models' and that there are no issues with 'newer models.'

Thanks for discussing it thoughtfully. I am in the unsure category at this time.

I've had my Rav4 EV for 10 months (11,000 miles). It was in the shop for a month between Jan 15 and Feb 15. They replaced the motor. Since then I have not had a single issue with it. Other than the month in the shop, I have been more than pleased with this car. I would encourage you to get one before they are all gone. Seriously!

burningmay said:
They assured me everything was based off 'older models' and that there are no issues with 'newer models.'

Sounds fishy to me. Did the dealer explain exactly what changes were made to fix each specific problem? I bet not. The only change that we know about from 2012 - 2014 is upgraded firmware. It is possible that some early Tesla ECUs failed more often than current ones. Some of the first RAVs developed noisy motors early on, but this could just be delayed in more recent ones. I don't think that there are enough data to say much more.

As far as I've heard, the 2014 Rav4 EVs are the exact same vehicle and nav system as the 2012 Rav4 EV, except that the firmware and software has been updated to fix Check EV System errors, communication between Tesla and Toyota technology in the car, and some tweaks to the Infotainment system.

Since my 2012 Rav4 EV received all available software and firmware updates, we haven't had a single issue with the vehicle. It's been over a year since we saw a Check EV System warning error, and - thank goodness - we've never lost power to the vehicle while driving.

If negotiating a lease/purchase, I would insist on Toyota replacing the OEM Yokohama tires with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires to close the sale. Barely any loss of range, but significant noise reduction and improved traction.

Burningmay, this forum like most, tends to focus on "issues" with our cars. However, I would have to say the overwhelming consensus from the members of this forum is that the RAV4 EV has been relatively trouble free. Of course, there have been a few exceptions, and some problems more serious than others. However, overall, the RAV4 EV in terms of owner satisfaction has been a SUCCESS story. On the other hand, Toyota has done very little to shine a light on this electrified variant of their otherwise top sell RAV4. Toyota's only interest in the EV mode is as a zero emissions compliance car for sale only in CA. From a financial standpoint, Toyota is probably loosing money on every RAV4 EV sold at such a low production volume (2600 total). At $49,800 MSRP, it is certainly not in competition with Toyota's other cars in their product lineup. Many of those can be purchased for nearly half as much as the EV, even the PIP. Toyota is selling more Prius models by far. You will be lucky to ever find a RAV4 EV on any dealer's showroom floor for that matter. But, from a technology standpoint, the RAV4 EV is clearly a winner, mainly because of its close kinship with TESLA, and imho is a much better car than any Prius, and a also as good as if not better than a good many of other makes and models of BEVs. But, is it worth the price? Just test drive one and find out for yourself!

Blastphemy said:
As far as I've heard, the 2014 Rav4 EVs are the exact same vehicle and nav system as the 2012 Rav4 EV, except that the firmware and software has been updated to fix Check EV System errors, communication between Tesla and Toyota technology in the car, and some tweaks to the Infotainment system.

Since my 2012 Rav4 EV received all available software and firmware updates, we haven't had a single issue with the vehicle. It's been over a year since we saw a Check EV System warning error, and - thank goodness - we've never lost power to the vehicle while driving.

If negotiating a lease/purchase, I would insist on Toyota replacing the OEM Yokohama tires with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires to close the sale. Barely any loss of range, but significant noise reduction and improved traction.
The other significant changes in the firmware have to do with charging station compatibility and the vehicle timer skipping charges on the 31st of the month. The way the vehicle charging timer starts too early is a "feature" according to Toyota. Riiiight....

BTW, no dealer is going to change out new tires on a car for free to close the sale. If you think it makes enough difference, do it yourself and sell the Geolandars.

Thanks everyone.

I did lease it yesterday form Roseville. Got the 12000 miles/year @ $299/month (330 with taxes and fees) with 3999 down. WC folks were not honoring that deal. They added on a zillion fees and taxes (6800 down and 350/month...added $300 for floor mats and $350 for the white color car). Roseville also gave me a much better rate for my trade in and their customer service was top notch. I would highly recommend Toyota of Roseville. No bait and switch, very friendly staff, they honor what they say.

I am using the stock charging cable and its SLOOOOOW. I need to get the leviton or a 240 volt outlet and the JESLA.

What is Diannes deal?

miimura said:
BTW, no dealer is going to change out new tires on a car for free to close the sale. If you think it makes enough difference, do it yourself and sell the Geolandars.
And yet I've been able to do that twice in the past...

burningmay said:
What is Dianne's deal?
You may not want to ask since you already closed your lease (it'll just make you depressed.) For the future, though, just know you should always avoid putting down cash upfront on a lease.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18264#p18264

Jscifres
Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:35 am

2 years of trouble free ownership under my belt. On November 22, while driving 35 on a local blvd (luckily not crowded), my rav4 EV lost power and all propulsion systems shut off. Knowing that I likely just experienced an ECU communication failure, I snapped a quick pic (will add shortly) while coasting to a stop, then a couple videos after I stopped.

Due to the holidays, I've finally got the car checked into the dealership today and am hoping they can find a fault code or something.

My mileage was 8300, and I'm not sure if they've ever updated my firmware, as I've only had it in for the free health checkup one time at 5000 miles.

Firmware updated to latest version. Mine was the original firmware so I suppose it's surprising that the failure hadn't already happened.

The exact same thing happened to me in the middle of freeway last Thursday(apr 16th 2015), I was on the fast lane was driving to work with around 70mph, all of a sudden I lost power and had to steer it real hard such that I don't get hit, finally managed to make it to the left shoulder and turn on my emergency blinker, part of my right two wheels were on the fast lane of the freeway and it was a scary scene. The dash had a message check EV soon and "Take it the nearest Toyota dealer immediately" and it would not shift to Drive or reverse even after I did a complete shutdown and tried to turn it on.

Called in 911 and Road side and waited for my fate, finally after 20 mins CHP came in I could see them blocking the freeway, they managed to push my RAV4 EV to the right shoulder with the police car and that gave me a great relief. Toyota road side assistance showed up after an hour and towed it to the Totota dealer in Oakland.

Ever since then I have been calling the dealer 2 times a day its been 6 days now and all I get to hear is that their computers are not connecting to the Tesla server, and until now they do not even know what is wrong with it.

I have had my EV for Just over a year with around 14000 miles on it and was absolutely happy with it until this incident happened.
I leased it in Mar 2104 from Toyota Sunnyvale in California and its some sort of a deep blue color.

Finally I have reported my case to Toyota US customer care at 888-270-9371, they have given me a case number and i was told their management team will work directly with the dealer and I should hear from them by tomorrow , keeping my fingers crossed

This finally happened to us today. After three years and 46k miles, our Rav4 EV finally went nuts and flashed three messages, the last of which was to immediately bring the car to a dealership (which is a silly message considering the car was a brick).

I didn't react quickly enough to grab photos of each message, but I think the first was something about regenerative braking not being available, then a really long error message warning about the electrical system, and then the Check EV warning.

We were on a side street and I had just stopped at a stop sign. The brakes felt like they failed for a moment, then the car jerked a bit, then the error messages began. Not sure if I lost all propulsion because I was going slightly down hill. But having read this forum, I knew what was coming and quickly pulled over to the curb. I put the car in park and turned it off. When I turned it back on, the car showed an error message stating no propulsion was available. I tried to put the car in drive and nothing happened - dead brick.

Thankfully, from reading this forum, I knew cycling the car several times would eventually restore propulsion. The Check EV System message didn't go away, but the car drove fine. Then, after parking at the grocery store for about 30 minutes, I turned on the car and no error message showed. The car drove fine.

I'm not even going to bother bringing the Rav4 EV in for service because I already know the end result from reading this forum. The techs won't be able to find anything, I won't have the car for a week, and then I'll get it back without anything having been done.

I have the most current firmware, just had 40,000-mile service + EV coolant service in September, and had the Speed Sensor Failure recall done. Guess none of that actually will prevent the Rav4 EV from suddenly dying while driving.

So you've all been warned! None of you are safe in this car; it's just a matter of time...

Blastphemy said:
I have the most current firmware, just had 40,000-mile service + EV coolant service in September, and had the Speed Sensor Failure recall done. Guess none of that actually will prevent the Rav4 EV from suddenly dying while driving.

So you've all been warned! None of you are safe in this car; it's just a matter of time...

We've had several (like 3-4) RAV4 EVs that can't drive up a 7" ramp without triggering the CHECK EV light and popping into neutral. Folks, PLEASE get the new 103 firmware!

Back