$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Rav4 EV's don't come with floor mats or "accessories".

It still looks like a great deal. I will probably take it. This is my latest quote. Is this a great deal?

Retail Price Dealer Price Total Price
Vehicle Base Model 49,800.00
50 State Emissions
Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat. 225.00
Total Accessories 225.00
Destination Charge 860.00
TDA 926.00
Gasoline
Total Price 50,660.00

MSRP: $50660

Your Internet Quote: $ 446 including TTL with $2500 for 36 months and 12000 miles

Any thoughts?

Mine came with floor mats, maybe those are the fancier all-weather mats? Also I am paying the same as your quote (pre-tax I assume) but with no down payment or first month's payment and unlimited miles. You should talk to Dianne at Carson Toyota before you commit.

I went to Toyota of Carlsbad about 50 miles from my home in El Cajon because the dealer here in El Cajon said they could not get a Rav4 EV from the factory or another dealer for several months. I wanted white, and Carlsbad had white. I tried to negotiate the price over the phone. They would not give prices on the phone. The sales person kept saying come in and we will work with you on the price. He told me it is the sales person's job to work for the customer but, only when the customer gets here in person.

Finally, I loaded up the kids and wife and drove an hour. We were there from 6pm to 8pm negotiating the deal. They said here is the price, "No Negotiation" was the final outcome. I spent another 2 hours signing documents, 10pm and the kids were cranky. 10 minute run through on how the car works and we left.

I am over paying????

I do not know. They set my expectations high and then stuck me with a fork when I arrived. They said if I did not grab the car then the next guy will so, there you go. Only 3 x Rav4 EV's roll of the assembly line every day and are divided between 30+ dealers.

My wife and I both run businesses with employees. We have 2 small boys. Our time extremely limited and the thought of driving to LA to possibly repeating the dreadful car dealer experience was to much to imagine. I took the car just to be done. I will not go back there. The car is great.

The only think I regret is not having more time to go to another dealership. I rewarded their deceptive sales practices weather I got a good deal or not. What I got was "Take it or Leave It". We are just to busy working so it just made $ sense to take it and be done.

Again, we love the car and could not be more happy with it. But, not the car buying experience.

This is the deal:
$0 down
$495.30 (before tax and license 36 x $495.30 = $17,830)
$537.40 Is our Payment. 36 months (no extra insurance or damage waver stuff, no unlimited mileage)

Price $51,280
govt fees $468.75
Taxes $3959.74
doc fee $80

Total init PMT $16,500 (from Toyota)
Residual $19,920 (what we can pay to buy the care at the lease end)

Our insurance went up $100 per month even though we have 2 drivers and 3 vehicles now. State Farm said it is a $50,000 car. We have perfect driving records. I will keep working on it and check other carriers.

Is this what these cost?

Solar PWR Rav said:
This is the deal:
$0 down
$537.40 Is our Payment. 36 months (no extra insurance or damage waver stuff, no unlimited mileage)

I don't know what "extra insurance" you were looking to buy (warrantee maybe? That wouldn't apply with a 36 month lease since the car comes with a 36 month warrantee).

That's about what I paid for I unlimited mileage.

Solar PWR Rav said:
This is the deal:
$0 down

Price $51,280
govt fees $468.75
Taxes $3959.74
doc fee $80

Total init PMT $16,500 (from Toyota)
Residual $19,920 (what we can pay to buy the care at the lease end)

Our insurance went up $100 per month even though we have 2 drivers and 3 vehicles now. State Farm said it is a $50,000 car. We have perfect driving records. I will keep working on it and check other carriers.

Is this what these cost?
I think if you look closely it is just 35 payments as the initial payment is included.

35x $495.30 = $17,335.5 + $19,920 (residual) - $2,500 (CA cash rebate) = $34,755.50 cost before tax & tip.
And the first three years of finance is effectively 0% interest.

The payment will be easier when you see your fuel bill drop by $200+ per month.
Also you need to look into low overnight charging rates available from your utility.
No cooling off so enjoy the vehicle.

smkettner said:
$2,500 (CA cash rebate)...
Also you need to look into low overnight charging rates available from your utility.
No cooling off so enjoy the vehicle.

Yes, contact SDG&E about special rates for electric vehicle charging.

Be sure and apply for the $2500 cash California rebate that I'm sure you weren't told about at the dealer.

Also, apply for the HOV sticker.

Dianne would have had this all taken care of for a cheaper price and unlimited miles.

It looks like you paid full MSRP before the incentives and have the residual for the $12k lease.

You might be able to get Toyota to redo the lease as an unlimited miles lease - ask the dealer again. Nissan was able to adjust the terms of the lease on my LEAF a few days later to increase the miles from 12 to 15k and the dealer helped with that. But they don't have to do anything, and the dealer WON'T adjust the price or its fees, and the payment will go higher. You might get lucky with a different finance person who may know how to do the unlimited lease.

Keep things in perspective. You have a great car, which is soon going to never again be made, and which you leased for a song compared to how much it cost to make. Enjoy the ride.

Solar PWR Rav said:

Is this what these cost?

I have State Farm also, monthly is $67.24 for $1000 deductible, maxed out coverage on everything. Los Angeles County.

My wife is the primary driver, told insurance she will continue to clock less than 10,000 miles annually, so that probably has a bearing on the low rate. My Focus Electric is at over 12,000 miles annually, so I pay more for its insurance premium ($87/mo). We have four vehicles total.

You might want to check how many miles State Farm thinks you will be drive each car annually. If you pile on the miles on the RAV4 EV, you should be able to argue for reducing the miles on the other two vehicles, thereby reducing your auto insurance premium over your entire fleet.

BTW, I always decline any insurance offered at the dealer too - tire (road hazard), gap insurance, lease return damage wavier...

I think you paid a fair price considering you probably aren't within comfortable EV range from Carson Toyota, especially with kids in tow. My wife and I took our kids to the dealer too, and we were there late, past feeding time... I feel your pain!

Maybe this perspective will help - if you pay the $19.9K residual to own it after 3 years, you will have a bought a $50K limited production rarity for less than $40K. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

Besides, it's not like you bought a Cadillac ELR. :)

You have made the deal, and it's time to enjoy the car, so don't over think it.

I'm really posting, so that hopefully folks in the future will do a search on Carlsbad, and avoid them like the plague..
I too live in El Cajon, and went to Carlsbad, and dealt with their scum sale people, but walked out ..

I made the deal for $2500 less than MSRP from Tustin Toyota (online), without having to deal with the liars at Carlsbad, and just drove there to sign the paperwork, and got the car.
I drove it from Tustin to El Cajon, on a regular charge - without extended charge at 60 MPH, and I still had 5 bars of range left.

3 other colleagues bought them at Carson, and one more from Tustin, and they all drove them down to SD just fine (regular charge from Tustin, and extended charge from Carson)

Insurance will go up, due to the cost being calculated at over $50k, but try to change your mileage if you can from 10K to 9K - that seems to make a big difference.

Enjoy the car... It has been a joy for the last year, and 13k miles for me ...Not to mention that I have already saved over $1300 in fuel costs alone vs my SAAB
SAAB - 13,000 miles @ 23 MPG average At $3.70+ average = $2100
RAV4 EV - 13,000 miles @ 3.3 mKH @ .20 cents KW (mostly blink rate) = $800

Cheers,

If your reading this looking for a dealer go to Dianne at Carson Toyota. She has sold more Rav4 EVs than anyone else.

I bought from her last year. We did everything over the phone. The price she gave me was fantastic and I spent less than an hour total working on the details. She even helped arrange shipping it out to me in NY. The car came with "upgrades" (paint protection, alarm, etc)....retail on all that stuff was about 2k but she did not tack that on to the price or ever try to upsell me anything. If I could get the lease deal here I would get a second one in a heartbeat!

Mike

If you take the 2500 down payment and divide by 35 you get $71.42 add that to your payment and you get $517 per month. That is not a terrible deal. I ended up with a $497 with tax and lic and no money down when Toyota was providing $14,000 as an incentive. So now with the higher incentive you should be able to get closer to $500 tax and Lic with no money down and the $2500 rebate coming to you (assuming that it will again be given by the State) My lease also included the mats and white paint upcharge. At the time there was some money that the dealer could either keep or pass on to the buyer.
Manny

Solar PWR Rav said:
It looks like Rav4 EV's don't come with floor mats or "accessories".

It still looks like a great deal. I will probably take it. This is my latest quote. Is this a great deal?

Retail Price Dealer Price Total Price
Vehicle Base Model 49,800.00
50 State Emissions
Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat. 225.00
Total Accessories 225.00
Destination Charge 860.00
TDA 926.00
Gasoline
Total Price 50,660.00

MSRP: $50660

Your Internet Quote: $ 446 including TTL with $2500 for 36 months and 12000 miles

Any thoughts?

Your dealer should include them.

I leased my Rav4 EV in April and it was out of the door for under $500/month no $ down unlimited miles and included the mats.

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like I'm only making 35 payments since the first was covered by the Toyota Cash. It looks like I would've saved a couple hundred bucks by going through Diane. I wish now I would have paid her to ship one down. I did not see her pricing. I did pay $399 extra for white guess.

Just leased! Got a true car quote from Hanlees Toyota in Richmond for $48551. Got berkeley Toyota to match. Total payment for zero down unlimited mileage lease at 487.76 including tax.

Very happy!!!

riderbike37 said:
Just leased! Got a true car quote from Hanlees Toyota in Richmond for $48551. Got berkeley Toyota to match. Total payment for zero down unlimited mileage lease at 487.76 including tax.

Very happy!!!

You got a FANTASTIC DEAL!!!!

It looks like Toyota of Carlsbad took me. I am so unhappy with the way I was treated there.

AVOID TOYOTA OF CARLSBAD like the plague.

I am paying $50 a month more than you. Hopefully, others can learn from my mistake. I did get the pearl white car which is supposed to be an extra $20 a month which, I am happy to pay because I am wrapping the vehicle with my perksolar.com advertising.

Still very happy that we got the car. Lack of time to deal with the used cars sales tactics by those guys leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I really thought I could avoid games but obviously not. I put in a call to the sales manager to see if they would like a chance to mitigate the situation. I will post their reply on every forum.

I over sized the solar project on our home a bit so we offset 100% of our home and electricity used by the car. We actually banked 120kwh of power a month since I added the additional solar panels on the roof. I love it, my neighborhood is buzzing about our green change in lifestyle, all is great.

We could not be happier about the move toward solar power and Electric Vehicle. Will never be without one again.

Sounds like Carlsbad should be avoided. I will point out, though, that the price Dianne at Carson gave me was $522/mo. for the same deal including tax, so you're not paying so much more than that. I think all in, Berkeley made ~$600 on the deal ($0 profit would be a price of $47,901 plus the $650 shipping fee at $48,551). I paid $48,551 plus the shipping fee, so $49,201. The salesman (who I liked and enjoyed dealing with) did grumble that he was only going to make a $100 commission on a $50,000 car, so I think my price is a little unusual.

riderbike37 said:
Sounds like Carlsbad should be avoided. I will point out, though, that the price Dianne at Carson gave me was $522/mo. for the same deal including tax, so you're not paying so much more than that. I think all in, Berkeley made ~$600 on the deal ($0 profit would be a price of $47,901 plus the $650 shipping fee at $48,551). I paid $48,551 plus the shipping fee, so $49,201. The salesman (who I liked and enjoyed dealing with) did grumble that he was only going to make a $100 commission on a $50,000 car, so I think my price is a little unusual.

My bill came. It is 541.99 a month. The first payment came out of the "Toyota Cash" so there is only 35 payments left. The car is white so I think the extra $20 a month is from that. I guess I did ok.

I install solar power for a living. I drive the Rav4 EV to sales appointments now. Somehow placing their hands on the wheel changes client's view of electric car possibilities. I think most people believe the electric car is the future. Driving one makes it a "today" or "next car" type of reality.

I used to sell solar to offset 80% of power usage. Going to 100% does not cost much more. Just a little extra equipment. I already have customer call backs to add panels to offset electric car power needs.

Things are really changing... fast...

Back